Previous in Forum: How to Connect Power Transformer Neutral to Earth Through NGR?   Next in Forum: Difference Between NGR and NCT
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Power-User

Transient Over Voltage

10/05/2012 2:01 AM

In neutral grounded power system transient over voltage is controlled by neutral grounding.Let us consider for Delta connected system how the transient over voltage will be controlled because there is no neutral point and neutral grounding too.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: transient over vpltage
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 33

Re: Transient over voltage.

10/05/2012 2:57 AM

"Neutral" and/or grounding has nothing to with voltage transients.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #1

10/05/2012 5:45 AM

then what is the purpose of neutral grounding?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 833
In reply to #4

10/05/2012 6:01 AM

To provide a path for the fault current until the circuit protective device(s) disconnect(s) the fault.

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #4

10/05/2012 2:33 PM

Safety. When any metal part which is grounded, reach a high voltage due to fault condition, a large current will flow through ground to neutral and this will blow the fuse or open a breaker.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72
In reply to #6

10/06/2012 10:22 AM

Maybe you were in a hurry, because what you described is frequently not the case. It sounds as if you are expecting a current interrupting device to be present in the neutral line and I know that is not what you meant. Care to clarify?

France - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 4

10/05/2012 3:14 AM

Which source of transient are you referring to ?

If it is switchgear operation, neutral has little to do .

If it is external lignhning, things are different.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 833

10/05/2012 3:43 AM

If there is no neutral, and no grounding point, and therefore no reference point, of what consequence is transient over-voltage <rhetorical question - NNTR>?

Good Answers: 168

Re: Transient Over Voltage

10/06/2012 11:29 AM

It is such a long discussion. Can you mail me your e-mail ID thro this forum's mailbox so that I can send you a deatiled reply?

And.. for the time being, whether it is delta connected or star connected, there would be huge transient over-voltages in the ungrounded/impedance grounded system due to resonance between ground leakage capacitance and system inductance

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

10/08/2012 8:22 AM

my mail id is CR4 Admin - email address removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

kindly mail me.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 168
In reply to #10

10/08/2012 9:28 AM

I said thro this forum's mail box

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/06/2012 12:27 PM

Neutral grounding in three phase systems is NOT for the control of transient voltages.

In delta connected systems, paths for zero sequence currents can be achieved by the use of EARTHING TRANSFORMERS.

Regards

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

electricalexpert65 (2); Joshi (1); Muthuvel (2); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); obouill (1); Olu Gyibrilla (1); pantaz (1); PWSlack (2)

Previous in Forum: How to Connect Power Transformer Neutral to Earth Through NGR?   Next in Forum: Difference Between NGR and NCT

Advertisement