Previous in Forum: ASME Tolerance for Machining   Next in Forum: Blast Freezer
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Oil Change Interval

12/12/2012 2:09 PM

what oil change interval for semi hermetic AC compressor.

what can happened if oil not changed in due time.

it may be a simple question,but i need a full clear answer , that's because I'm new in this field

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Oil Change Interval

12/12/2012 2:29 PM

Not sure myself, it's in the manual isn't it?

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

12/12/2012 2:59 PM

in a remote areas where's no agent, it may be difficult to find manual ,So why i try to find answer here

Guru

Good Answers: 1661
In reply to #3

12/12/2012 3:33 PM

1. Determine who the manufacturer is and the model number of the compressor.

2. Find the manufacturer's web site.

3. Look for the corresponding manual on the web site.

4. Download the manual and READ IT.

5. If you cannot find it on the web site, ask someone to help you locate it.

6. How could we possibly give an answer to a question that contains no useful information.

Being new does not relieve you of the obligation to find the manual and use it.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #4

12/13/2012 11:09 AM

Hi Lyn. In many cases your responses are right on regarding looking to the mfg/supplier for info rather than an open forum, but in this case I think there is more to it. At least in the small refrigeration systems we work on, since the oil lasts the life of the compressor, there is no mention of oil change interval in the compressor or equipment manuals. -- JHF

In reply to #14

12/13/2012 11:19 AM

I stand by my statement.

The OP should have the manual and use it. Asking for opinions from strangers, on an open forum, about an undefined piece of equipment, is not very wise.

And you are assuming that the OP actually knows that it is a "semi-hermetic compressor".

You may well have given them the answer they seek, so they will have an idea of change interval.

Cheers.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #15

12/13/2012 5:55 PM

and you are assuming that the OP actually know that it's a semi-hermetic compressor

I dictated it from my neighbour

Guru

In reply to #19

12/13/2012 6:25 PM

In my post I said "actually knows", not "actually know", which is incorrect.

Now, after all of this, can you tell me when will you be changing the oil in that, "semi-hermetic compressor"?

If you need any suggestions about what to do with the used oil, just ask me. I have a perfect spot in mind for it.

Guru

Good Answers: 206
In reply to #20

12/13/2012 6:33 PM

I didn't catch the humor but if I got it...just to clear up some possible confusion....yes semi hermetic compressors are all over the place, I;I've seen 100's in service herea a pic typically found in Carrier machines

Guru

In reply to #21

12/13/2012 6:41 PM

What humor?

Thanks for the photo.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #19

12/13/2012 6:36 PM

I'm out kid. If you cannot even answer simple questions but instead argue with others then don't expect us real Engineers to bother answering your questions.

Go and try an internet search yourself, that's what it's there for.

<gone>

In reply to #22

12/13/2012 6:43 PM

Me too.

Guru

In reply to #3

12/12/2012 3:38 PM

it may be difficult to find manual

So.....you haven't looked for the manual. You have internet access thou.

Someone here may be able to give you a rough idea if you cannot find the information on the manufacturer's website or on the internet with a quick search.

In reply to #5

12/12/2012 4:00 PM

Every 5 years, or 50,000 milles, whichever comes first.

I mean really............................

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269

12/12/2012 2:34 PM

What does manual say?, what does manufacturer say? We don't know make or model, so how are we supposed to answer oil change interval? To answer your question about what happens if oil is not changed in due time, it could mean the end of your semi hermetic AC compressor. Oil will break down over time, heat, heavy use will shorten this time. It loses it's lubricity, it's ability to protect moving parts. This goes for anything that uses oil for lubrication. Only manufacturer of compressor or oil can tell you how often to change it.

Good Answers: 206

12/12/2012 4:00 PM

change? why would you change it? it should be in a closed system. there are no by products of combustion like you have in a car engine to foul the oil.

here again, classic anser.....what does the manufacturer recommend? there isn't really a "rule of thumb" on this one

Guru

Good Answers: 50
In reply to #7

12/12/2012 5:33 PM

I agree with Fredski, you don't change oil in a hermetic system, unless you have compressor burnout, and then you do a full flush (assuming the system is worth this cost) before compressor replacement. So why would a semi-hermetic be any different, and again unless you've had a compressor burn out, or a persistent leak that has let oxygen in the system, and a hot running compressor to catalyze oil oxidation, the oil will out last the system life.

ignator

Guru

Good Answers: 116

12/12/2012 10:45 PM

When you say "NEW"... how new?

Your approach has not endeared you to me to the point that I feel like helping.... As stated your question has little content and your point for me has more holes in it than the Titanic...

Yes we can see you are new, VERY inexperienced and it would seem you don't like hard work or the suggestion of it. I am always amazed that folk find CR4 via the Internet and believe it to be the answer to their problems by just asking.

You managed to find us, could you not surf a little longer looking for your answer?

What is the machine you are trying to get info on? Make? Size? What have you done so far to help yourself?

Judging by your further answers you will stay inexperienced and still not get your answer.. Think a bit, and work around problems, that's what real engineers do!

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

12/13/2012 9:34 AM

be quite brich

You do not have the right to make yourself judgment on others while the case is not worth all the fuss. I asked a general question, which is very easy to answer from any one who has older experience than me.I clearly said that I'm new in this field.but not Very inexperienced as you loudly shout. rough answer may be enough regardless manufacturer,model ,type ------etc.

What can happened if oil not changed in due time, Does it affect motor winding ,does it affect compressor performance,over heating,wearing -----.It's my question in general.

does answer of this question will different from one manufacturer to another ????. does it depend upon model or type ??

I think You forget to ask for serial no.

Dear brich kindly Do not Strongly criticize others for just a question.

Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #11

12/13/2012 9:53 AM

You've got a lot to learn.

First, you come here and ask a question that displays a complete lack of knowledge of your new field. Any idiot would know that specific model type information would be needed for any informed answer to be given.

Being new here does not give you the right to be rude. Go find someone who is willing to take the time to give you a free education.

I'd suggest that you be very careful about insulting the very people you are asking to give you A FREE EDUCATION.

Contact the maker of the equipment and ask them for help, like I already suggetsed.

Don't just demand that we do your bidding.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #12

12/13/2012 5:12 PM

you've got a lot to learn/ Complete lack of Knowledge / Any idiot / Rude / to give you free education

If it's not the eye of rudeness,what it named.

Guru

In reply to #16

12/13/2012 5:44 PM

You are the only one who is posting responses I would call rude, and with nothing new to add to or further the discussion.

If you are the original poster could you elaborate on your original question thanks rather than insulting others because we cannot read your mind.

In reply to #16

12/13/2012 5:46 PM

I wondered where you went.

Don't be such a stranger.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811

12/13/2012 5:26 AM

How did the call to the compressor manufacturer go?

Guru

Good Answers: 10

12/13/2012 11:00 AM

The oil lasts the life of the compressor in a refrigeration compressor. The only consideration is after a burnout, being sure the system is not contaminated, thus contaminating the new oil by contaminated oil in the system returning to the new compressor. Since the oil will hold some of the contaminants, there are oil test kits for field use that tell if something needs to be done. De-contaminating the oil is accomplished be replacing the filters in the system and testing until the oil is free of moisture, acid and particulates. -- JHF

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Ever Changing United States - Member - From the Redwoods to the Valleys Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Building blocks or writing code - to keep you comfortable

Good Answers: 19

12/13/2012 7:54 PM

WOW OP, you have had some really great answers from some very smart guys here, but yet you tend to be condescending towards them. You must be young with lots to learn......

1. Check with the manufacturer - GREAT answer #1

2. The oil in a refrigeration systems lasts the length of the system unless the system has been opened to air, burnout (internal electrical short), or numerous leaks which can allow moisture. Great Answer #2

3. Anytime you open a system replace the filter driers with CW or HH driers to eliminate moisture or Acids. Great Answer as well.

So much to learn but it seems you would rather burn bridges before you take the first step on the bridge.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); brich (1); Circuit Breaker (2); Fredski (2); ignator (1); jack of all trades (4); JPool (1); lyn (8); PWSlack (1); Stedou73ish (1)

Previous in Forum: ASME Tolerance for Machining   Next in Forum: Blast Freezer

Advertisement