Previous in Forum: Stalling Engine   Next in Forum: Where to Find Cheap Fuel Injectors
Close
Close
Close
27 comments
Active Contributor

Engine Oil Not Reaching Cam, Oil Sensors Indicates OK

01/14/2013 6:16 PM

I have 98 model Plymouth Grand Voyager which got overheated and damaged the top head gasket which has been replaced. The problem now is that the engine oil could not get to the top of the cam..and the oil sensor shows ok. What do I do?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: oil pump
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Re: Engine Oil Not Reaching Cam, Oil Sensors Indicates OK

01/14/2013 6:30 PM

that doesn't make sense.you ,might want to slow down and explain further

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

01/15/2013 1:27 PM

My car engine plymouth got overheated and damaged the top head gasket which i have replaced,changed the oil and the filter.after fixing up these and we started the car and we noticed that the oil could not get to the top camshaft and oil sensor indicates that oil has pump.that is the issue.what next do i do

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

01/14/2013 6:45 PM

Replace the present, incorrect head gasket with the correct one?

Where is the sensor in relation to the gasket? In the block, or in the head?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

01/15/2013 1:50 PM

I have replaced another head gasket,still d problem is stil there

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

01/16/2013 9:20 AM

usually the block cover gets binded and it has to be grinded to level (but you may have somesh' in you oil channels - i'm not a car tech. -- we just ruined our car years ago by driving on low gear (high-vent-speed) when it should've been high-gear (low vent-speed) at extreme cold weather & and then stopped the engine B4 it had time to cool down)

Good Answers: 1728

01/14/2013 7:30 PM
Guru

Good Answers: 774

01/14/2013 8:50 PM

If you overheated it bad enough and the oil passages through head were small it's entirely possible you coked up the oil and plugged the passage going up to the top of the head so changing the head gasket wouldn't have fixed or shown the blocked oil passage problem.

Most vehicles put the oil pressure sensory near the pumps which means that any small oil passages further from the pump could conceivably plug up without affecting sensors readings.

Just a guess based on a few old engines and heavily sludged up engines I have worked on over the years that had weak flow or no oil at the valve assy.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 5)
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

01/15/2013 1:56 PM

What do i do now

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

01/16/2013 9:47 AM

Easy way replace the engine!

In the junk yard/Internet the price of a good engine is about $300 and put it in the car is $300 more

..why to open an engine?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)

01/15/2013 4:45 AM

the oil pressure sensor is between the oil pump and before the camshaft hense it will not pick up that the camshaft has no oil, which is generaly caused by not changing the oil and oil filter regularly enough. you can clean the engine up if you have mechanical knowledge and hopfully salvage your engine if it has not been damaged to badly, but it does take time and several oil changes in quick concession, about roughly 1 after an hour of running and then clean your oil pick up again and then once every couple of weeks there after for the next two months should do.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

01/15/2013 12:46 PM

Thanks for ur contribution.but you know,d car got overheated and damaged d head gasket and i have replaced the gasket,changed the oil and filter,and it cant get to the top cam

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #6

01/15/2013 1:03 PM

Take it to a reputable shop and have it repaired.

All we can do is take wild guesses.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 11

01/15/2013 1:31 PM

How did you discover that you did not have oil getting to the cam? Hopefully, it was during the process of reassembly on your head gasket. If you discovered it later after the cam was squealing and smoking from lack of oil, then you've probably already spun a bearing or worse, in which case the damage is done. Start over better educated at a reputable shop. Some things are just out of the realm of the shadetree mechanic.

In reply to #9

01/15/2013 2:11 PM

Not at all,it was when we fixed back the gasket and then starts the vehicle and we noticed that it was not geting to the top

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: OZ, otherwise known as Oklahoma were the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
Good Answers: 4

01/15/2013 2:20 PM

After ensuring that the oil passage ways are not blocked by coked up oil or sludge and that the head gasket is correct and correctly installed, you may want to substitute one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of engine oil if the engine has a lot of sludge. The Marvel Mystery Oil will thin out the sludge to clean the engine. You will want to change the oil within 50 or 100 miles. Do not put heavy loads on the engine, when doing this as the loose sludge could compromise the lubrication quality of the oil. Doing this two or three times should clean most of the sludge out of the engine.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #13

01/15/2013 2:35 PM

Ok,i will do that

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #14

01/17/2013 2:09 AM

"Meet my French model, I meet him on the internet". Have you seen the commercial.

I would suggest you take the car to a mechanic and have them look at it before you toast the engine. If your not getting oil thats what is going to happen. Engine will need to be trouble shot properly and repaired before you try to clean sludge out as has been suggested.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #13

01/15/2013 2:47 PM

When I am cleaning up an engine I don't hesitate to dump about 2x the normal amount of diesel fuel into the engine in place of the oil and then let it sit and idle for up to an hour or more.

SO far I have done a few dozen engines of all ages gas and diesel new and old with that method and have yet to ever have and damage come from it. Pretty amazing what levels of sludge and gunk that can wash out of some engines!

As far as the OP goes I would start with finding whee the actual oil feed passage comes up through the head at and back feed it with compressed air and cleaning solvents however if you cant force air back through passages then all the oil changes in the world and bottom end flushing wont fix the clogged passage.

If that does not work it's time to start working that passage open manually with a good stiff wire and a drill. Slowly spin the wire with the drill and work it in and out of the passage until you have cleared the obstruction and can get air and solvents to flow through it again.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Active Contributor

In reply to #15

01/15/2013 5:27 PM

Ok,i will do dat.thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

01/15/2013 11:16 PM

I don't know about your Plymouth, but I have seen engines where installing the head gasket in the wrong orientation will block an oil or coolant passage. I suggest you double check this.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 7

01/15/2013 11:41 PM

You say oil is not getting to cam, is it overhead cam? Did you remove the valve cover and run the engine to see if oil is reaching the cam/valvetrain? Im not sure I understand the term "top head gasket", do you mean the valve cover gasket? And your description of oil not getting to the "top of cam" is also a bit confusing. Please clarify.

In reply to #18

01/16/2013 4:49 AM

Yes d overhead cam,and i have removed the valve cover and start d vehicle,still there were no oil coming out

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #20

01/16/2013 5:13 AM

....and the lower cam shells?

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

01/16/2013 4:45 AM

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WITH NO OIL GOING TO THE HEAD, YOU WILL SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THINGS.

Just because the oil sensor (I guess you mean the oil light on the dash) shows OK, does not mean that oil is reaching everywhere that it should, it only means that a minimum pressure has been reached.......

My advice is to remove the cylinder head and turn the engine over IN THE NORMAL RUNNING DIRECTION, preferably by hand and watch and wait for oil to come bubbling out of the block. Maybe more than one place depending upon engine design......have a big rag handy for mopping up.....

If it does not do this after a few minutes of turning by hand, turn engine over on the starter for say 5 seconds, oil should spray everywhere......make sure that no fuel will get pumped out when you do this, that could be dangerous......

If it still doesn't show oil spurting out, at least you know that the failure is in the block and not in the head. Up to this time you had no idea where the problem was. You are making headway!

My bet is that an oil way in the head is blocked......say 75% for. If you replaced bearing shells in the head, you may have replaced some round the wrong way, so now they block the oil feed. In some designs of engine, you only need to turn the "first" one round the wrong way to have the effect you mention.....

It is possible that the shells were made wrongly......but that should have been noticed when replacing.

If you did not copiously oil all the shells at original assembly, you may already have serious bearing damage.

At this time, you do not even know if the main and crank bearings are being fed with oil!!! Treat the engine as though no oil is flowing correctly.......just to be safe!

Assuming that you see oil coming out of the block, make sure that the gasket has the oil hole exactly in the right place. Replace head but without all the camshaft and its bearings. Turn engine over, see where/if oil is appearing where it should. My guess is no oil will appear......

You should now know exactly where the problem lies.

Buy the Hayes manual for your car/engine if there is one printed. Always good to have.

I) am guessing that you were only using mineral oil (not full Synthetic) and that this has turned into basically coal somewhere and is blocking oil or the engine was never cleaned properly at original manufacture time and metal swarf has "moved".

Best of luck.....

In reply to #19

01/16/2013 5:11 AM

Thanks a lot,i will do dat get back to you later

Register to Reply
Active Contributor
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member

In reply to #21

01/16/2013 10:46 AM

To keep it short, the best comments here are as follows...

Head resurfacing is a good idea, sometimes a necessity after an overheat. But if you ran it with a new gasket, and did not see either an external water leak, or find water in the oil, you should be o.k. there.

Most valid point, when an engine with standard oil overheats, the oil turns to a substance similar to ground up coal, and will surely block passages. Flushing with diesel and blowing air pressure through the oil passages in the block, then removing the oil pan and cleaning everything inside and underside is the best plan of attack!

In reply to #25

01/17/2013 2:41 PM

Check oil filter. Maybe is wrong type, or is damaged.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 27 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); AverageJoe (1); ci139 (1); daveross100 (1); Durchis (9); fixitorelse (1); fletty (1); Fredski (1); Grand Poobah (1); lyn (2); njoko66 (1); ScottF (1); SolarEagle (1); spaceracer (1); tcmtech (2); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Stalling Engine   Next in Forum: Where to Find Cheap Fuel Injectors

Advertisement