Previous in Forum: Water Sublimate Rate   Next in Forum: Critical Thinking - In a Country in Which People Only Want Boys…
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 137

Blue Sanding Belts for Cutting Metal

02/27/2013 9:28 AM

On shows like American Chopper, How Its Made and others I will sometimes see them grinding away on metal with what looks like a sanding belt. The various cutting and grinding wheels are normally black but on those rare times when it looks like a belt sander the belts are always blue. Pretty much a Miller welder blue, maybe one or two shades lighter. When the fighting Teutuls or others use the belt sanders they just jam the metal in and let the sparks fly. Any belt I have ever bought would be trash in a few seconds or less. What are these belts?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: Blue Sanding Belts for Cutting Metal

02/27/2013 9:34 AM

Norton's NorZonPlus is a pretty blue could be them.

What grit you use?

These belts like any belts if jamb a sharp corner against them you take the chance of cutting through trashing the belt.

http://www.nortonindustrial.com/NarrowBelts-BlueFire.aspx

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

02/27/2013 9:40 AM

Not a big deal.

SAIT abrasive belts for metals.

Not an endorsement. As ozzb says, there are other manufactureres to select from.

02/27/2013 11:40 AM

Thanks Ozzb & Doorman. I guess that growing up in a wood shop made me somehow think that belt sanders were never used for the edges and ends of metal. Flat surfaces yes, but the ends were something new to me. During the American Chopper marathon a few weeks ago they jammed the cut end of frame pipe into the end of the belt sander. On another show Rick jammed the freshly cut edge of a sheet metal fender into the end of a belt sander. My belts (for wood) would have been ripped apart in seconds.

I'll give these belts a try.

Thank you,
Bruce

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410

02/27/2013 12:54 PM

Grinding wheels or Cutting Wheels?

For cutting, I have used Walters ZIP discs. they are thinner, yet they last and cut a straight line without wondering which I experienced with Norton Blue wheels

http://www.heavydutystore.com/Walter-ZIP-TM-Thin-Cut-Off-Wheels-11-T-142.html

Good Answers: 33

02/27/2013 1:17 PM

Belt grinders are used extensively in metal fabrication. Surprisingly high material removal rates are possible -- tube-notching is a good example.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

02/27/2013 2:32 PM

Check out MSCDirect,

They have a chart for belt type usage. If the picture quality is crappy, the link is below the pictures

Here's the link:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Abrasives/Coated-Non-Woven-Abrasives/Belts/Abrasive-Belts/_/N-77cj7?cm_re=Category-_-BodyLink-_-Abrasive+Belts&rdrct=sanding+belt

In reply to #6

02/27/2013 4:06 PM

Wow, I guess I will join the rest of you in the modern world. Somehow on belts I had never advanced past Aluminum Oxide or Silicon Carbide on paper or cloth. Zirconia Alumina, Ceramic and Talc are all new cutting materials for me. Having grits rated in ANSI, FEPA, Norax or Trizact is something else I have not seen before. I didn't expect to learn this much just from asking a question about the fighting Teutuls.

Thank you,
Bruce

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

02/27/2013 7:17 PM

Don't remember seeing that on the show but are we talking about belt linishers like this? These are used extensively in industry for grinding metal.

In reply to #8

02/27/2013 8:46 PM

A linisher is a tool I never heard of but that does seem to be it. I do recall the wheel that they were pushing the metal into being larger in diameter than the belt sanders I have used with wood. When I looked up the term linisher I got a definition that indicated it was used for flatness. I remember it being used on curved cuts on pipe. What I saw did not match the definition but I'm sure you got the tool right.

Thank you,

Bruce

In reply to #9

02/28/2013 6:47 AM

The linisher has a flat plate under the belt for dressing flat components but it also lets you roll parts on the belt to achieve curved cuts.

Canada - Member - New Member

02/28/2013 2:28 AM

those blue belts are zirc's or rather zirconium dioxide i think and they are good for metal - get a wax stick and apply the wax to the running belt and they won't load as quickly when your grinding aluminium.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

02/28/2013 6:35 AM

I routinely use metal grinding flap discs on my angle grinder. I forget exactly what the embedded material is on them, but they rip through structural steel pretty amazingly, or you can use them for finishing if you like (mainly de-burring or rust removal). They come in a host of grit sizes, and you can find them at the big box stores or on Ebay for a song if you hunt enough.

Good Answers: 3

02/28/2013 7:06 AM

I have a Wilton Square Wheel belt grinder, 2hp, 3ph 240vac motor. It takes a lot to stall it. I use Norton belts, 40 grit, Blue in color. I can tell you for a fact; it will make a lot of sparks. It removes metal fast; and skin if you aren't wearing gloves and are not careful! The machine is bolted to a stand which is bolted to the floor, so it won't slide.

Jim

In reply to #13

02/28/2013 11:28 AM

Also good for firing components across the workshop if you don't hold them tightly.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

02/28/2013 8:21 AM

I did a short stint as the environmental director where I work and we used a blue belt by Norton for finishing the 304 and 316 ss products we build. It was zirconia alumina as I recall. Don't see it in our inventory anymore. (just checked the MSDS file) Aluminum oxide is still the favorite for harder steel products here.

In reply to #14

02/28/2013 8:57 AM

I like the feed back from empirical experience for this type of topics. there are compromises that one is not aware of, and this may help in the selection

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #15

02/28/2013 11:03 AM

That's why I visit this site every day - so much applies to what I and the company I work for do.

Controls, instrumentation, many discussions on metal finishing and welding.

And what I used to do.

Oil and gas drilling and well parameter measuring. (love to argue the fracking thing)

Automotive work.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (3); CaptMoosie (1); Doorman (1); Nigh (3); ozzb (1); pantaz (1); phoenix911 (3); Phys (2); rabbit16 (1); rrnut-2 (2)

Previous in Forum: Water Sublimate Rate   Next in Forum: Critical Thinking - In a Country in Which People Only Want Boys…

Advertisement