Close
Close
Close
55 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Electromagnetic Radiation Dangers

03/01/2013 3:22 AM

Hello,

Can anyone provide me please with a technical assessment (publishes statement) showing the dangers of electromagnetic radiation generated by a transmitter/receiver antenna?

Thank you...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816

Re: Electromagnetic radiation

03/01/2013 3:49 AM

Yes. Google can.

Good Answers: 44

Re: Electromagnetic Radiation Dangers

03/01/2013 10:57 AM

You may do better by searching for the effects and/or dangers of RF and non-ionizing radiation. That is how it is normally addressed.

EMF would be more of a concern, as it is addressed, to equipment.

Guru

Good Answers: 284

03/01/2013 4:20 PM

This is a decent place to begin reading.

In reply to #3

03/04/2013 12:34 PM

Not really...that's a reference to ionizing radiation. OP was asking about RF.

Guru

In reply to #22

03/04/2013 5:33 PM

Right you are, it is about ionizing radiation not about non- ionizing EM radiation like RF.

But.....ionizing radiation is more interesting, or at least there is more of a thrill reading about the hazards involved.

Most importantly if someone has basic understanding of the dangers involved with ionizing radiation, when they move on to things like RF, they will be far better able to assign an appropriate level of concern with the energy levels under consideration.

If people understand where the risk levels arise with ionizing radiation, they might not go so completely ape s**t when reviewing their possible exposure to RF.

CR4 Admin: Modified Post

Inappropriate language: Part of this post was modified because it included an inappropriate language that violates the CR4 Rules of Conduct.

In reply to #24

03/06/2013 11:59 AM

True, true...

When teaching the effects from ionizing radiation I use the non-ionizing as a counterpoint and point-of-reference. I think it helps to understand the entire electromagnetic spectrum, and may spark some understanding and insight to wavelengths and how they really relate to EMF.

I am not offended by ape s**t. Ha-ha Savvy! Beat you to it!

Guru

In reply to #24

03/06/2013 3:19 PM

Sorry for writing the naughty word.

I do think it is funny that 'ape shot' got shot down. I do understand but it is still amusing.. 'Ape shot' is so bland, bordering on banal.

One could certainly device far more interesting expletives without enlisting the forbidden words. Which sounds like good advice to heed myself.

'Defecate in the breast milk of the mother of god', is within the bounds, or no?

'Copulating canine feces smeared on a gnarled old root!' I'm pretty sure that one is acceptable right?

Goose vagina, goose vagina, goose vagina!....No! It's a Cloaca! Bird for brains!'

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #44

03/06/2013 3:50 PM

Remember when you were in grade sckool. ;) you would check it out to see if a questionable word was in Webster's Dictionary, and if it was, you put it in your report.

Well It's not....... so don't use it.

In reply to #46

03/06/2013 4:37 PM

'....Well It's not.........'

Is so!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #47

03/06/2013 4:49 PM

Hey, you're only half done, what kinda animal. and then all together now.

In reply to #48

03/06/2013 5:09 PM

Rat Sheet

Bat Sheet

Dirty Ole' Tweet

69 Donkey-Holes Tied in a Knot

Lizard Sheet ......Flock!

Good Answers: 1661

03/01/2013 4:52 PM

You do not want to hear about the benefits of, "electromagnetic radiation generated by a transmitter/receiver antenna"?

Contact the American Radio Relay League. American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for ...

They know something of the dangers of "electromagnetic radiation generated by a transmitter/receiver antenna".

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

03/01/2013 11:13 PM

The receiver part of the antenna holds few dangers, but you might put your eye out Ralphie.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 59

03/01/2013 11:37 PM

Well, the guy want to spare any thinking trouble for himself. He orders us to provide the answer (and in the process make up his mind for himself).

WHY?!?

As in why why should I bother?!?

Sonny, do your search yourself. Then, if and when you lucky enough to have a considered opinion, you might be welcome here.

Right now, you have not earned that right.

Guru

Good Answers: 5

03/02/2013 1:10 AM

check WHO

Good Answers: 53

03/02/2013 2:49 AM

Per our government and the Telecommunications Act of 1996, there is no danger. One of our astute congressmen, Senator Larry Pressler, sponsored the bill. Don't laugh when you read it, or try to (it's the size of a phone book) - this is a real law that was passed by our congressmen and signed into law by our President.

Some people claim that the big telco's had something to do with this. I find that hard to believe - any Senator can write a bill the size of a phone book, right? You know that Senators are supermen and they are experts in the field of telecommunications and safe RF radiation limits - all non-ionizing RF is safe, since it doesn't produce enough power to damage cells, right?

So, if you want the true answer to your question, don't ask the scientists in Europe. They disagree with our government and the data generated in the ten year Naila Study or the Tower of Doom in London. In the US, we have the Lilienfield Study and the 1978 John Hopkins study, but these must be wrong, since Senator Pressler can't be wrong - remember that he's the expert.

I'm going to give my sarcasm a break and tell you what I believe. A receiver should not pose much threat, since the signal coming in is very weak (or should be). The problem is the transmitter. A non-ionizing RF signal causes vibrations in the cells of our bodies. Most people are immune to the effect of these vibrations, but studies have shown that people who are prone to non-Hodgkins lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system) are at high risk when exposed to continuous RF radiation. If the radiation is not continuous, how much risk is there? I think the jury is still out on this. I liken this to an analogy of a light bulb. If you want to turn the light off, you just flip the switch. What if there were no switch and the plug was built into the wall? You can't turn it off and it's on 24/7. Well, you can't turn a cell tower or RF Transmitter off and it's running 24/7, constantly exposing your body while you sleep - the time your body is rejuvenating your cells.

For those who are exposed to continuous RF radiation (living too close to a cell tower or a radio/TV transmitter) for a long period of time, the risk is high. Again, this is for people who have a genetic make-up with a link to lymphoma. Also remember that the power is reduced by the square of the distance. My research shows that the safe distance is 1/4 mile, but this varies based on the power output, antenna design and wave propagation.

I hope this helps answer your question.

In reply to #8

03/03/2013 2:50 AM

'....I find that hard to believe - any Senator can write a bill the size of a phone book....'

Neither, verbosity, nor wordiness, nor prolixity, nor grandiloquence, nor garrulousness, nor logorrhoea, nor verbal diarrhea is a sign of noteworthy intelligence.

Being concise is.

Good Answers: 2

03/02/2013 12:00 PM

powerwatch.org.uk

emf-portal.org

pros and cons together, so you should make up your own mind. Certain frequencies are more dangerous such as the cooking frequency(Microwave oven) 2.45 GHz, cataract developing ~400 MHz etc...

In reply to #9

03/02/2013 10:03 PM

Is working near MW oven dangerous,what is the safe distance?. Similarly is sitting under ceiling fan, using hair drier,working in or living near MV,HV,EHV substations,copier machines,using electric drill ,sitting near TV,radio etc dangerous and what is the safe distance?.

In reply to #10

03/03/2013 3:01 AM

Hard to say on a safe distance. I believe it is better to stick to exposure (magnitude, modulation, CW PW, duration, time of the exposure) versus epidemiological findings which requires a sensible amount of statistical data stacked over the years for any part of spectrum.

My humble opinion for microwave oven is that you should check the grounding performance and measure the leakage. Kidneys are the organs with the highest water content (highest blood circulated area, pineal gland the second) so for microwave specific you should keep your kidneys away as much as possible. I could not say a metric measure so am I becoming a politician? God forbid!

Guru

03/02/2013 11:23 PM

As usual, a large dose of nonsense is mixed in with some sense. Making the whole simply garbage. Sorry to break your uninformed phantasies.

NONIONIZING RADIATION. You can use your microwave oven or stand front of a low frequency radar. In a general sense, your genes and your proteins remain unbroken. You may cook like a turkey, but that is another matter.

IONIZING RADIATION is another matter. X-rays routinely break and damage your chromosomes and proteins. Never mind the proteins. The other one controls your biological life. Such energies exist from ultraviolet upwards. Not a happy state of affairs at all.

The firs one is dangerous in large, kilowatt qantities. The second one is dangerous in single X-ray quantities.

THAT is the difference.

Talking about cell towers is a " celebrated cause", and arrant nonsense. By code, the transmitter is limited to some 60 Watts, distributed. There is no profit, but lawsuits to radiating downwards. So, they shape their radiation to the horizon, where most of the customers sit (not simply, because they love you). People beneath or close to a tower may receive worse service than much further away.

Auto..whatever. Measure things. You supposed to do that in your profession, don't you, before piping up?!?

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Commentator

In reply to #11

03/03/2013 9:08 AM

This is not what I am saying. This is what science is saying. Single and double strand breaks of DNA have been observed in RF range, sperm motility decreases were well noted as well. Secondly, acoustic neuroma rates boost on the side one uses cellular phones. This is not pseudoscience, repeatable experimental science and epidemiology. Pubmed.com it plz.

P.S: 2Phoenix911, Hüsein is ruling you mate, not me.

In reply to #15

03/03/2013 9:15 AM

Yes we love our king......... We did elect him twice, you know.

In reply to #15

03/04/2013 11:21 AM

Where did you get your data on acoustic neuroma? I'd be very interested in that data because I developed one on the left side (now deaf in that ear) where I had previously used my phone.

Guru

In reply to #21

03/04/2013 10:57 PM

Is using hair drier near the brain(head) too dangerous?.

In reply to #28

03/04/2013 11:11 PM

No, and neither is a cell phone. Even though I do have an acoustic neuroma, I do not believe that the cell phone contributed to my tumor. Every study I have read regarding cell phone use cannot corrolate any non-ionizing radiation to the formation of schwannomas.

In fact, I underwent a treatment for the tumor that deliberately exposed those tissues to 2500 mRad of ionizing radiation over a series of five treatments to kill the tumor. That was twelve years ago. So far, so good. No new growth. I get MRI's periodically to keep an 'eye' on it.

The difference is, that medical treatments are carefully monitored and by the time a treatment regimen becomes mainstream, we are very aware of the risks and the probability of side-effects.

If cell phone use caused increases in brain tumors, we would have an epidemic on our hands. We don't.

Guru

In reply to #29

03/05/2013 5:41 AM

There are more studies that are revealing that some people are more susceptible to tumors/cancers that others, with it being genetic. Now is it genetical programmed, or is it a genetic defect that makes an individual more prone to cancers.

That one will have to do a little digging

In reply to #30

03/05/2013 11:55 AM

The problem is that given some people are more likely to develop tumors or cancers, how do we do long term studies to isolate the cause or causes? There are so many uncontrolled variables and if the trigger mechanisms aren't very well understood, I fail to see how someone can make these kinds of proclamations. It really boils down to one of statistics. Tobacco opponents were able to demonstrate some pretty convincing numbers to make their case. I believe few would deny the dangers posed by tobacco use. Again, some people have been chain smokers well into their nineties. Relatively rare, but still noteworthy. One must wonder what their genes look like?

Now that being said, the real issue becomes one of risk management. On one hand, I won't put a magnetron under my pillow each night to give me that warm cozy feeling as I sleep, but I see no reason not to use the microwave oven in my kitchen. Similarly, I believe the risk from environmental exposure to RF energy to be extremely low. Occupational exposure is another thing entirely and OSHA has pretty stringent requirements in that regard. I'd be a lot more worried about that bubble-headed teenager behind the wheel with their thumbs fully engaged.

Guru

In reply to #31

03/05/2013 12:08 PM

The problem is that given some people are more likely to develop tumors or cancers, how do we do long term studies to isolate the cause or causes?

there isn't, but...........

the genome project may reveal something to find or able find and isolate the gene that is responsible. The University of Wisconsin-Madison (I wish I had a better reference) is really big on this, but their focus is to activate dormant genes..... i.e. make chickens grow teeth...... like their ancestor did back in the Jurassic age....

Who knows what ancillary outcomes will come of this.

The down tick, insurance companies may use this for insurability risks and deny coverage, the uptick would be to correct it.

So what seems like impossible and nothing more than Sci-Fi today, may be a common practice tomorrow

In reply to #32

03/05/2013 10:57 PM

This note is mostly to Phoenix and SirRobin.

I have a simple check to separate the real from nonsense. You will have a reason to evaluate studies claiming fantastic results, the same way.

Being a simple hungarian engineer, I start on the simple end:

1,. The battery. Pop it, read it.

It will say, like 1Ahours, 3,6Volts. So far, so good.

2,. The energy evenly distributed by receiving, sending, and housekeeping. Even if you assume not to transmit while receiving, it is still a rule of thumb distribution.

3,. If you assume a 3-4 hours talking time, the portion assigned to transmitting is 1/3rd Amps times 3,6Volts battery voltage. Roughly 1 Watts, divided for 3 hours.

4,. That is DC power going in. Cellphones have adequate power amplifiers, and due their small sizes lousy antennas. At best, 100milliWatts remain to transmit, worst case much less. Mind it it is average. Peak is higher according the share.

5,. I challenge any right thinking individual to argue that point.

6,. Now on a more personal level. If you are not able / willing to distinguish between Watts, kiloWatts, milliWatts, and microWatts, and have no feel for the difference for them, you simply have not earned a place in this discourse. Depart.

7,. If you are still an uneducatable worrywart, Please park your phone on your Gluteus Maximus (phat ass in common parlance), and use the earpiece for that oh so important qwetch session.

Capiche?!?

8,. On a serious note, Who is willing to make a challenge, that a sub 100milliWatts signal can cause nasty results.?!?

9,. A hint to you. You are a 300Watts transmitter resting. A racing bicyclist produces 1kWatts to 1,5kWatts.

10,. Do you care to compare these as to the significance of the lesser?!?

HMM??

Guru

In reply to #33

03/06/2013 8:57 AM

Re: #33

It was not meant the way it came out. It was late and I was tired.

It is a note to limit possible studies, by showing the very limited power available from a handset.

And

A note to the perennial worrywarts, to get away from at least this subiect.

To Phoenix and SirRobin I apologize.

Guru

In reply to #37

03/06/2013 9:18 AM

Levelers, no offense taken and with you being a good sport with my teasing and my bulling, no apologies necessary. As to my political bulling side of teasing, ..... I must bear some of the responsibility. For me Conflict can creat results

It is interesting what can happen.

With you going about it on a electrical technical approach, while others took a biological approach. The results can be surprising.

In reply to #37

03/06/2013 11:00 AM

No need to apologize. If you look at my Post #29, you will see I have very little, to no concern about the 'normal' EM fields we are bathed in every day. In my first post I was trying to see if my query would generate a meaningful response.

There are those who attempt to make a profit at scaring people with somewhat 'plausible' sounding but unverified scenarios and there are some who are simply terrified of the boogey man (and other things they can't see, touch, smell, taste, or hear nor understand).

Hey, I ride motorcycles on the street and the dirt, downhill ski, water ski, jump out of perfectly good airplanes, served in the armed forces, I could give a rat's flipping arse about some vague risk from EM fields. Everybody dies, not everybody lives.

Guru

In reply to #30

03/06/2013 12:44 AM

Phoenix911, you're right on and I'll go you one further. Our understanding of genetics is in the infancy stage. It wasn't too long ago that we mapped the human genome, so how could we, as a race, expect to be knowledgeable in such as short amount of time?

As I've matured, I've gone from a standard scientific approach (like some of the people here). I started out with the belief that it must be shown to me or it's wrong. Then I matured a bit and agreed that seeing isn't believing. After that, I started to see that I know very little and even when someone shows me, I may not understand. I'm at the stage now, where I see that we as a race know very little about ourselves and that maybe we're this complex, because we're not suppose to know.

I have something else I'd like you to consider and get your feedback on. What do you think is the reason why a person is more susceptible to illness when they are feeling bad (angry, hurt, sad, stressed, etc)? Do you think our DNA changes with our emotions? Why can a husband and the kids get a flu, yet the wife remains healthy?

I believe that our brain is an incredible control center that not only feeds our conscious mind, but also determines our well being on a cellular level. I read that on average, a person gets cancer five times in their life. Many times our bodies fight it off, but what happens that one time when it doesn't? Is it outside sources of energy? Or maybe internal energy controlled by our brains? Or is is simply genetic makeup?

Maybe we're not suppose to know the answer to this. I am not well versed in different religions, but my faith is tied to accepting the will of God. Maybe this puzzle isn't meant to be solved?

What do you think?

In reply to #34

03/06/2013 1:40 AM

Well autobroker without upsetting leveles any farther.... ;) oh what the heck, this thread strayed already.

I believe that an intelligent closed minded nilly willy always can kill a brainstorming session. But I'll never be an arrogant prude and ask him to leave, that would be arrogant as well as foolish.

When it comes to genetics, I'm only a layman. But it does interests me, and being a typical CR4 member, I have an opinion. And on this site I will not begone......I'm really having fun with leveles now. :)

We only are using a portion of our potential, and in my life time I never will see us use our full potential, but at times will see cases which in itself that may seem 'fanciful' only because it appears to be one of a kind. Because nothing happens overnight.

I was surprised on the time it took to map the human genome initially when they started to the time it takes now.

But some of your examples, I think luck may have something to do with it, also, current health of the individual that may have a stronger amunity to fight that, but that is just an opinion.

Some suggest that radiation that damages a gene is what causes evolution, some in a good way, some in a bad way. The good way, it makes an improvement, the bad way, assists in the extinction.

And to listen to people that are experts in this field, agree with that.

As far as the emotional aspect, that is complicated by a number of conditions, genetics of course being one, also nutrition, health such as did they experience a stroke, a chemical inbalance, injury. This all would affect the individual, that may make him more or less ..... With a lack of a better word emotional that could go either way.

Now bringing religion into this, we are walking a fine line. But I have a opinion on this also, but I'll try to keep it scientific to keep this valid From The prude police.

I think that falls under emotional healing.when your at the end of your rope so to speak, and you believe, or you like to believe there is a power greater that yours, it gives you hope, and with hope gives you strength, and it becomes almost like synergy, with strength it gives you energy to carry on and so forth.

I'm not going to list references this morning, but I can later on, statistics show a strong belief does have a healing effect.

As far as an internal energy, well......I believe in the laws of thermal dynamics and of energy conservation comes into effect here. And now I'm currently at that line, and I'm not going to cross it. ;)

In reply to #35

03/06/2013 2:01 AM

I ran out of time...... To have some spelling corrections..... Immunity being one.

Also about emotions, negative emotion does drain your abilities, not only your immune system, but energy as a whole

In reply to #35

03/06/2013 3:01 PM

Phoenix911, There sure is something to be said about thinking outside the box. Yes, being open minded helps you find opportunities where others pass over them.

And back to the subject, I still say that there are biology specific dangers to EM radiation. They are dangers whether or not we know the cause and effect at the cellular level. And before anyone else gets their feathers ruffled, the effects are not across the board to the majority of people.

In reply to #15

03/04/2013 12:38 PM

I would love to see a published reference for the breaking of DNA strands from RF non-ionizing radiation.

And that doesn't mean some goofball's web page.

Guru

In reply to #11

03/04/2013 8:20 PM

Why would you ask me to measure things? I'm just reporting back on facts - you know, studies that people and groups do.

As a person of science, you're suppose to base things on facts and remember that your assumptions should be tested, not just assumed to be correct. You should know better than that!

In reply to #25

03/04/2013 9:11 PM

I realize no shortage exists of those of your kind ....and yet I am started anew at each revealing, almost as I had uncovered something rare and interesting.

....it is a brief sensation, and I soon return to senses, and my familiar oppressors (probably as unfamiliar to you as your world is to me); reality and reason.

In reply to #11

03/04/2013 10:05 PM

Leveles,

Here's a story I created for you, to help you see another point of view. There's a beautiful valley 1/2 mile wide and 1 1/2 mile long. The valley is surrounded by empty hillsides all the way to the top. Single family homes ranging from the 1930's to 2010's were built in the valley. Near the center of this valley, a cell tower company plans to build a 27 foot tall cell tower. Three sets of antenna are on this cell tower and each set contains four antenna with ERP of 4,450, 1,102, 3,158 and 1,102 watts, each at a different frequency. The cell phone company claims that the cell tower is being built only for the residents of the valley. One of the homes is less than 700 feet from the tower and in this home a family member who had lymphoma a decade earlier and is in remission. The cancer caused significant strain on this person's heart and if the cancer comes back, the doctors feel that she will not make it. The family in this home is very upset with Senator Pressler for sponsoring the Telecommunications Act of 1996. This Act takes the power from local jurisdictions, in regard to cell tower placement, thus giving cell phone companies carte blanche to where they want to place towers. The family believes that the cell phone tower should be placed on an empty hillside, away from homes, however their local government cannot deny a land use permit, due the the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

So Leveles, let's not say that you're the person who lives in this house. Your wife has survived Lymphoma and if it comes back, she probably won't make it. Studies you've read show a link between proximity to cell towers and Lymphoma. You're in the red zone - less than 1/4 mile from the tower and the antenna are not pointing toward your home.

The scary thing is that this isn't make believe. I live less than 700 feet from the proposed cell tower and we battled her cancer in 2002 and won. You have no idea how disappointed I am knowing that a Senator of our government chose money over the people. You can try to insult me with your immature statement that I'm just "piping up", but I know more than you on the health effects from living too close to a cell phone tower.

Next time you want to make yourself sound so important, think twice!

In reply to #27

03/06/2013 9:24 AM

I'm glad to hear her cancer is in remission.

It is important to temper your belief of what you know with some very basic tenets.

The first one that comes to mind is:

'Correlation is not the same thing as Causation.'

another that comes to mind is:

No matter how close to you the data point might be, studies with only one data point don't offer much in the way of understanding much beyond perhaps how that data point is measured.

Auto accidents are highly correlated with a number of things:

these usually occur within a few hundred feel of special paints applied to asphalt;

almost all automobile accidents involve cars using wither synthetic or natural rubber products;

diHydrogen Monoxide can be found (sometimes in just minute amounts) in the investigation scene of every automobile accident.

Being cognizant of those things is not a sign of being particularly well informed or knowledgeable about auto accidents in particular.

In reply to #39

03/06/2013 2:08 PM

Truth, First, I thank you for your kind remark regarding Cindy's cancer. I hope that you, nor anyone in this forum, never have to deal with something so terrible in yourself or your family. And yes, the treatment is what makes this horrible (Cindy was in stage 4 and had to undergo 5 different types of chemo).

Your point is well taken and makes me see this in a different light. Causation vs Correlation ... hmmmm.

For me, the choice was to become as knowledgeable on the cell tower issue and based on my research I chose to fight the cell phone company. Our community did win the battle, which it should have - heck, we're surrounded by open hillsides, so why build it right next door to a home and in the middle of a residential area? The thing that frustrated me the most is that our battle was made much more difficult due to the Telecommunications Act of 1996. I know this is going off subject, but when a Senator uses his power to line his pockets, we as citizens should have a right to know. We should also repeal laws that were enacted in this manner. Okay, off my soapbox and back to the topic.

There has been a lot of studies done to link cell tower radiation and the effects on humans - correlation. I chose a specific illness - Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, since it has a direct impact on my family. A friend of mine is an RN who opened the door to me on this subject. There are many studies that have shown a correlation - a link. I could not find one that has proven the cause - many theories however just the correlation.

My question to you is this; since we are in the infancy stage of genetics, we know little about the interaction of energy at a cellular level vs organ level vs the entire body and we know little about the brain, how can we use causation to show a link between RF radiation and specific illnesses? Engineering is easy - we pretty much have the science down, so we know cause and effect. Biology is much different and it may be a moving target (due to our own adaptation - if you believe in Darwin).

I also believe that you can be well informed about a topic by seeing correlations vs knowing the cause. In my business, I know that a Lexus will outlast a Range Rover. I didn't participate in the design, nor have I ever taken either car apart. I do know from my customers (and research I've done) that the Lexus is a more reliable vehicle. Advice, based on me being an expert in the field, I've given to my clients. I know that it has been educational to them, which helps them make an informed decision. So yes, I believe that a person can be knowledgeable about an issue, even though they have only researched it from a distance. I also believe that it's okay to make a decision based on correlation vs cause and in science, we need to do this at times, because we don't know enough about the science itself. This is what we use statistics for, right?

I also believe that if anyone here were in the same position I was in regarding my home, that they would research the effects of cell tower radiation and NHL and I believe that they would've come to the same conclusion.

Thank you.

In reply to #42

03/06/2013 3:45 PM

I have had a couple different family members diagnosed with cancer in the last few years. Fortunately all have survived and are in remission. I hope remission lasts for some enjoyable years for those in my family and those in yours.

The studies I read (and this is not fresh in my mind, it was some time back) did not give me concern about the frequency of illness possibly attributable to cell phone. I do remember looking at the various modes of exposure and thinking that the risk of holding a phone against your body far exceeded anything coming for a tower.

If you are concerned about cell phones, the place to begin is to physically distance yourself as much as reasonably possible from your cell phone. Don't carry it in your pocket, don't hold it against your head.

There are so many things that most of the populations regularly and voluntarily exposes themselves to that are almost certain to cause problems eventually.

It is incredible that people still poison the space they live, to poison bugs. That the thought of spraying insectacide in the place you sleep and eat is a reasonable social norm is appalling.

Getting any number of organic solvents on your skin is not a good thing, and yet it is a common experience for many people.

People spread bone meal and blood meal in their garden and do it without even a nuisance mask.

on and on and on.

I think avoiding those kinds of things and eating well (avoiding neurotransmitters that are marketed as sweeteners, and many other 'man made' improvements) and exercising regularly would provide benefits far in excess of any danger of living too close to a cell tower.

That last statement is just a hunch. It is not well supported,, and would be very difficult to test. I guess even I am a little superstitious if I am believing in something for which there is no good evidence and which cannot be easily tested.

In reply to #45

03/06/2013 4:50 PM

Truth, I'm glad your family members are in remission and are doing well.

Here area few things I know about cell phone and cell tower emissions.

1. There is more danger when your cell phone is at one bar vs full signal. The phone must transmit a higher amount of power to reach the tower.

2. Your cell phone cannot send out signals above a set threshold, however cell towers transmit higher power when the need arises.

3. The power decreases with the square of the distance. Keeping your cell phone out of pockets and bras is a good idea.

4. A cell tower is transmitting all day and night. I read a theory that the reason living close to a cell tower is more dangerous is that its on all the time. Since your body rebuilds itself when sleeping, your body gets no relief from the RF radiation - even though it is non-ionizing. After years of this "no rest" for certain parts of your body, it can produce an unwanted effect - illness. Again, some people have shown to be immune to this - similar to people who chain smoke into their 90's.

Similar to smoking, I think we should all do our best to limit the "bad" things in life. If a cell tower can be built on an empty hillside away from homes, then why not build it there? At a minimum, it makes the residents feel better. In rural areas, it also helps resale value of the property.

Good luck to you and your family and let's hope for good health!

In reply to #49

03/06/2013 5:45 PM

If you are concerned about cell phone wavelength EM radiation while you are in your house (sleeping or otherwise) why not simply shield your house?

A relatively inexpensive way to go would be to use aluminum screen fabric, the kind that is used on screened in patios, and build a grounded cage within your roof and walls by connecting the rolls of aluminum screen.

The mesh on screen would is smaller than 1/4 wavelength of the frequencies used by cell phones. As long as it is well connected and grounded and fairly inclusive, it could probably reduce the signal low enough you couldn't make a cell call from inside the house.

In reply to #51

03/06/2013 8:16 PM

Truth,

I'm no longer concerned about EM radiation, since the cell phone company is no longer building the cell tower near my home. They chose to build it on the hillside coming into our community, which is a perfect place for it. If they would've built it near my home, I simply would've turned our home into a rental property and bought something else. Yes, I could've build a Faraday cage, but why? We and our guests use their cell phones in our home, therefore isolating it would not be a good idea. We would also lose radio signals inside the house and our cordless phones wouldn't work outdoors.

I'm not against cell phones or technology. I am against government officials forcing citizens to accept the demands of big business, all to make them more wealthy.

Also, if I found out that my genetic makeup made me susceptible to cancer from XYZ, then I would do my best to keep away from XYZ. Just makes sense.

In reply to #53

03/07/2013 2:55 PM

Proximity isn't the highest factor to worry about, necessarily.

If you are getting great reception/bars on your cell phone, then you are absorbing high energy from the cell tower anyway.

Enjoy your clear calls and cancer.

Guru

In reply to #54

03/07/2013 5:45 PM

Pete, Actually, the most dangerous point is when you have one bar of signal and you're on the phone. Here's why. When you have one bar, your phone must send out a higher amount of RF to make a good connection with the tower. The energy leaving your phone is much higher than the energy coming to the phone.

Think about this for a second. It will make sense.

In reply to #42

03/06/2013 6:08 PM

Concerning your question to me....

The way we establish with good certainty that some particular agent or set of conditions is either sufficient or necessary or significantly contributes to developing a cancer is through very large, well designed and implemented, long term studies.

There has been a lot of good work developing Oncotype DX. And even though the research was focused on better treatment, it might be a good model for knowing more about causes.

Oncotype DX has been really successful. there are only a couple types of cancer that it is currently used for... certain Breast Cancers and certain Colon Cancers so far, it is a phenomenal tool.

03/03/2013 8:28 AM

My name is Baraack Hussein. Obama, and I approve Electromagnetic Radiation Dangers. :/

03/03/2013 9:11 AM

I knew this sounded familiar......

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/83145#newcomments

In reply to #16

03/03/2013 9:22 AM

I have no tangible experience in ELF... Only what I read. That thread was for that purpose.

For political discussions, I am way too exhausted mate.

In reply to #18

03/03/2013 9:29 AM

That is was posted off topic, to be ignored.

On a serious note, be careful what you read on the websites.

Good Answers: 33

03/04/2013 3:46 AM

If you want to discuss EM radiation, you must have a basic understanding of the inverse-square law.

Reply to Forum Thread 55 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Autobroker (9); Brave Sir Robin (5); cuba_pete (5); leveles (4); lyn (1); pantaz (1); phoenix911 (11); pnaban (3); PWSlack (1); truth is not a compromise (11); uluaydin (4)

Previous in Forum: English Teacher   Next in Forum: LT 3 Phase Motor

Advertisement