Previous in Forum: Combining ISO 16949 After Implementing TQM   Next in Forum: The Most Common Issues in Implementing Real World Quality Management System?
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Associate

Diagram to Explain Six Sigma TQM Kaizen Kanban JIT?

04/02/2013 8:04 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone here please share any diagram or resource which shows the relations between the following terms:

Six Sigma
TQM
Kaizen
Kanban
JIT

So that everyone knows the relationship between those keywords above in relates to ISO 9001 or 16949.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: JIT kaizen Kanban six sigma TQM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59

Re: Diagram to Explain Six Sigma TQM Kaizen Kanban JIT?

04/02/2013 8:17 AM

Lean.org is a great resource for lean manufacturing concepts.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Associate

In reply to #1

04/02/2013 8:33 AM

thanks for the advice, but I cannot see it on the page ?

do I have to post similar question in that forum ?

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

In reply to #3

04/02/2013 8:52 AM

Click on the Knowledge Center link (blue navigation bar at the top of the lean.org page) and you will be able to search by topic for the terms you're interested in learning more about.

Even Wikipedia offers definitions and explanations of the terms. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

Guru

In reply to #3

04/02/2013 8:59 AM

This is a pretty common diagram, based on the Toyota production system "house," that may help you:

Image from lean.org.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

04/02/2013 8:32 AM

There are all sorts of books on this topic, so clearly a number of authors can. How about trying Amazon (usual disclaimer - rhetorical question - NNTR)?

In reply to #2

04/02/2013 9:33 AM

PWSlack,

So far I cannot find the overall big picture which shows the relations between those terms and where it is being used.

Any suggestion of books, website or White paper would be greatly appreciated.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #6

04/02/2013 11:06 AM

Try these. 2116 books at the last count.

<unsubscribes>

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 251

04/02/2013 5:01 PM

I'm tempted to report this "KaizenDon" as it seems that he is a consultant that will make personal financial gain from the outputs that we are providing.

Am I off track?

Score this off topic if you think that I'm out of step and I'll re-consider.

In reply to #8

04/02/2013 8:33 PM

No, I'm not a consultant who gains anything financially from this forum. I'm just here to get to know more about Quality Control and Operations Management improvement in general as I'm doing Master or Management degree while working part time internship as process analyst with medium automotive industry.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

04/03/2013 7:57 AM

What makes you so sure there is a relation at all?

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #10

04/03/2013 9:41 AM

of course yes, otherwise, it will be difficult to get everyone on the same page and have the common understanding.

Register to Reply
Participant

Good Answers: 2

04/03/2013 10:00 AM

You might find some information at http://6sproductivitycom.com

Associate

In reply to #12

04/03/2013 10:29 AM

Thanks Rich !

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

04/03/2013 10:59 AM

Total Quality Management is the overall concept.

Six Sigma statistics. It's keep track of production and sample testing the product and making adjustments before things get too far out of tolerance. There is much more too it because it also involves looking for cost drivers through auditing. Green Belts do the tasks and the Black Belts manage the system.

Lean Manufacturing works to expose mistakes by keeping inventory low. If you keep a high inventory it's easier to hide mistakes because people don't notice the waste as often. Mistake don't start showing up until the required amount of materials needed start running short. People can't just go grab another piece of material when there was only enough ordered on hand for the job.

ISO is basically keeping everything documented. Documentation is important, it allows you to see what mistakes have been made and what was done to correct and prevent the mistake from happening again.

Here is one that wasn't mentioned. POKE YOKE - That is developing little steps that makes your job easier and reduces the chances of something happening. Things like just having a cup available to put screws in that prevents them from getting lost or scattered.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 17

04/03/2013 3:09 PM

Suggestion: If you are seriously contemplating a career in Quality, join ASQ and buy a copy of "Juran's Quality Handbook". If you are a grad student, ASQ has a student rate just for you. The Juran Handbook is the Bible of Quality.

In short, TQM is a Quality Philosophy, Six Sigma is a set of Continuous Improvement tools and a methodology which people often use as a substitute for Quality, Kaizen is another way to say Continuous Improvement, and Kanban and JIT are Manufacturing tools or methods. (Note: Kanban and JIT are not generally considered Quality tools or methods. Can you tell me why? Bonus points if you can tell me why they might be considered Quality methods.)

TQM: This is a philosophy. TQM precedes everything else in your list. Key tenets are "Quality is everybody's responsibility" "Know ALL of your customers" "Continuous Improvement" (This is not "official", just what I find hardest to get people to understand and apply)

Six Sigma: One of the most powerful and most misapplied toolkits you will ever encounter. As developed, Six Sigma was intended to take on the systemic problems which require major funding to accomplish and which would have a major impact on the organization's bottom line. Typically, however, it is used for problems which can and should be solved using less costly methods and so receives a lot of bad reports because it often fails to live up to the hype.

Kaizen: Japanese for "continuous improvement". Under TQM and "Quality is Everybody's Job", kaizen simply meant all employees know and understand the Basic Quality Tools so that they can apply them to their jobs. Building on the idea of the Magic of Compound Interest, the kaizen philosophy asks "Which is better? An improvement that yields a 10% improvement at the end of the year or a series of daily improvements each yielding (10/365)% ? Under Six Sigma in its current incarnation, Kaizen is a type of event and can be costly to organize but the results are quicker than a Black Belt project.

Kanban: A system designed so that the environment tells you what to do.

JIT: One method of removing waste from your process.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #15

04/03/2013 11:48 PM

ok, the following diagram is what I created based on my understanding in the Operations Management in general.
Any comments and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #18

04/03/2013 11:57 PM

here's the full image URL: http://i.imgur.com/vnCberJ.jpg?1

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 17

04/03/2013 5:17 PM

Re: the relationship to ISO9001

Have you read ISO9001? ISO9001 is TQM in the form of a standard. Best line in the ISO9001 std:

5.2 Customer focus
Top management shall ensure that customer requirements are determined and are met with the aim of enhancing customer satisfaction.

That's Quality in a nutshell. If this doesn't happen, nothing else happens. I could put together a semester of lessons for a grad school with this sentence as the catalog description.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

04/03/2013 7:32 PM

Many thanks to all who share your knowledge in this thread.

b

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2

04/05/2013 7:25 AM

Dear KaizenDon, these concepts are concepts, not only terms or specific feature descriptions, and are called different cause are different concepts. Can be related in some ways dependind on their application, but at the same time that relations could be unapropiated. Six sigma needs numerical data and statistical reading, Kaizen needs other type of data and control, but both can work completely independently.

In my opinion the question made has no answer since has no sense to be asked, it looks like the one asking has a narrow view of them, pointing just to zero defects, and that's not the unique aim of anyone of cited, neither ISO 9001 (which is customer satisfaction).

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 20 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Janissaries (1); Just an Engineer (1); KaizenDon (8); PWSlack (2); reward54 (2); SavvyExacta (3); welding_engr_rich (1)

Previous in Forum: Combining ISO 16949 After Implementing TQM   Next in Forum: The Most Common Issues in Implementing Real World Quality Management System?

Advertisement