Previous in Forum: Short Circuit   Next in Forum: Circuit Breaker Selection
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

PPE Needed When Testing

04/09/2013 2:40 PM

hello,i would like to know if there is a article in nfpa 70e about having to wear electrical gloves when testing a 24 volt i/p transmitter in a class 1 div 2 area or when testing a voltage of less than 50 volts in a class 1 div 1 area,what whould the correct PPE be for this task?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: PPE NEEDED WHEN TESTING

04/09/2013 2:57 PM

You have two questions here, one regarding electrical safety at extra low voltage (50V), and a second regarding testing live equipment in a hazardous area.

I don't know what the NFPA standards have to say about it in or on an (American?) site but it will probably include something about a hot work permit for working in a classed hazardous zone testing live equipment.

If the voltage being measured is not coming from an intrinsically safe protected source then it is likely a potential source of ignition regardless of how safe the voltage and energy storage potential would normally be to handle in a standard industrial environment. Gloves and other PPE won't be any help if you ignite the gas and cause an explosion.

As for the gloves, some sites have very strict requirements requiring use of gloves regardless of what the standards say, so also check the site requirements. If the standard says you don't need them but the site says yes, you need to wear them.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

Re: PPE Needed When Testing

04/09/2013 4:19 PM

PPE requirements in NFPA70E are all based upon the "Incident Energy" in the equipment, measuered as calories per cm2. This is the result of the available fault current energy, the distance the person is from an arc fault, and the duration of the arc fault. The lowest threshold is 1.2 cal./cm2, the amount it takes for a 2nd degree burn, which is considered to be "healable". Generally, nobody bothers with systems that are 50V or less, unless there is a LOT of current involved.

However if you are in a classified area with the door open and you have an arc flash of any sort, that will likely be an ignition spark for the gasses in the area, so the actual energy in the electrical arc flash becomes irrelevant.

Electrical Supervisor:

"Yes, his gloves are intact so thankfully he survived the arc flash event. He was of course subsequently roasted to death in the ensuing fireball from igniting the flammable vapors, but that is not technically an electrical accident."

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #2

04/09/2013 7:03 PM

I think that about sums it up.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

04/09/2013 9:13 PM

First time I carried out 11KV phasing out on a feeder I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Last time I looked like I was due to embark on a lunar mission. If thing had gone wrong I doubt I'd have known the difference!

Your testing procedure should be done in a safe manor in line with the local safety guidelines. Including the PPE deemed required.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

04/10/2013 3:46 AM

The PPE needed is a Hot Work Permit.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jack of all trades (1); JRaef (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (1); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: Short Circuit   Next in Forum: Circuit Breaker Selection

Advertisement