Previous in Forum: Electrical Equipment   Next in Forum: Induction Voltage
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Why Frequency is 50hz?

07/08/2013 2:06 AM

Why it is not standardised to 49hz or 51hz? Why is the number "50" standardised ??
Is there any technical reason for this? Please guide.
Funny answers please keep it with yourselves , thanks !!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Why the frequency is 50hz ?

07/08/2013 3:23 AM

Because if it were 49Hz or 51Hz, all the synchronous clocks connected to it would be wrong by about 2%.

Good Answers: 107

07/08/2013 3:27 AM

And I was sure you mean funny answers are welcome!

The thread is all yours!

Bye!

PS Been there and answered this already plenty of time. If you would have taken the time to search CR4 you could have had fun with us here now!

Good Answers: 107

07/08/2013 3:38 AM

On a very serious term: The standard is also 60hz.

You posted anonym and we dont even know where you are. But you have to realise there is more than one standard!

Not funny is it?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

07/08/2013 6:55 AM

European whim.

Good Answers: 1744

07/08/2013 7:23 AM

It's convenient....nice round number.....it's easy to remember....it works...

Good Answers: 114

07/08/2013 7:35 AM

Why did you post anonymously?

Good Answers: 3

07/08/2013 8:10 AM

I have seen this in many specs. The writer aimed for what he thought best based on experience and not really working out the physics.

Good Answers: 206

Re: Why Frequency is 50hz?

07/08/2013 8:38 AM

you need to brush up on your "waves"

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

07/08/2013 8:48 AM

Good Answers: 1663

07/08/2013 9:34 AM

You obviously haven't bothered to read these:
Tips for Posting on CR4:

• Look for answers before you post. Search CR4 or use a search engine to see if you can find the answer to your question.
  • Provide as much information as possible. The more details you provide, the better the chance that someone on the site will be able to help you find an answer.
  • Give some thought to your post title. Don't use "Hello", "Question" or "Help". Also, simply saying "DC Motor" is not enough. Be specific, e.g., "How Do I Install Replacement Brushes In My DC Motor". Keep it professional - post titles should be written in title case without excessive punctuation.
  • Look for answers before you post. Search CR4 or use a search engine to see if you can find the answer to your question.

• This question has been asked many times before by others, such as yourself, who are too lazy to do their own work.

• Nothing funny here.
Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

07/08/2013 9:49 AM

Despite all of the other theories on the subject, i like this one best. Tesla decided that 60Hz was best after playing around with numerous other frequencies, then AEG decided to use 50Hz in Germany so that US generator mfrs such as Westinghouse would not be able to dominate the emerging markets.

Good Answers: 206
In reply to #11

07/08/2013 10:02 AM

I'm not sure I'd phrase it as anti-american but I believe it was market protectionism by our euro cousins, heres more on the silly question http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/29565/why-do-utility-companies-supply-at-a-frequency-of-either-50-60-hz

Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

07/08/2013 1:21 PM

I guess nobody remembers 25 Hz as a standard frequency, the problem was flicker of the old incandescent bulbs. 50 Hz is the lowest practical frequency where the persistence of our vision system will "carry" the image without flicker. Notice that it's 2x 25 so that older 25 Hz generators could be rewound to run at the same speed but double the frequency. Despite the flicker, 25 Hz was the frequency used for the first hydro-generators used at Niagara Falls to supply the trolley system in Buffalo, power was later transmitted to factories in Ontario, Buffalo and Pittsburgh. It was also used for traction power on the predecessors to the AMTRAK commuter rail systems and others.

Other considerations include the fact that lower frequencies (16 2/3 was originally proposed for Niagara Falls) are better for transmitting power over long distances, the line loadings could be increased due to the impedance shift from the lower frequency, and this was a concern in where hydro was often far from the load point.

On the other hand 60 Hz is more economical from an equipment standpoint, in particular the huge quantities of transformers that a utility has to transmit and distribute the power.

From the Westinghouse T&D Reference Book: "...a considerable economic gain is obtained in that he savings in materials of 60 cycle transformers over 50 cycle transformers may amount to 10 to 15 percent. This is because in a transformer the induced voltage is proportional to the total flux-linkage and the frequency. The higher the frequency... the smaller the cross-sectional area of the core, and the smaller the core the shorter the length of the coils. There is a saving... in both iron and copper...", something anybody who has worked on 400 Hz systems would be quick to recognize.

Just a little history to answer the OP's question about other than 50/60 Hz power.

Safety - ESD - New Member India - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 41

07/08/2013 4:25 PM

In early days in North America different power companies used 133 Hz and 140 Hz and in Europe some companies used 32 Hz, 30 Hz and 40 Hz,but finally Europe standerdised to 50 Hz and USA to 60 Hz. Most of the British colones followed 50 Hz.as standard power supply frequency.Half Japan had 50 Hz and 60 Hz in other half. Engineers have always used the best frequency for the purpose at hand what ever the circumstances.Major changes in perticular have occured several times in hundered years.50 and 60 Hz were selected in 1891.The standard for power frequency was settled only in modern times. There were very many standared frequencies in use even as 20 years ago.The outcome was determined by operating conditions in the field.
Source Article "Power History "of Edward L. Owen "The origins of 60 Hz as a Power Frequency".

Reply to Forum Thread 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (2); IdeaSmith (2); JRaef (1); lyn (1); passingtongreen (1); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); ronclarke (1); SolarEagle (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (1); V.I.Abraham (1)

Previous in Forum: Electrical Equipment   Next in Forum: Induction Voltage

Advertisement