Previous in Forum: Electric Motor Terminal Box Cable Gland   Next in Forum: How To Calculate Motor Capacity Using Only Fan Capacity
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Associate

Breaker Curves

07/10/2013 12:22 PM

How do i calculate mcb rating for 5hp pump & the type of curve?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: Breaker Curves

07/10/2013 12:27 PM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

07/10/2013 5:32 PM

Using British Standard 7671. The MCB is there to protect the WIRING; it is the OVERLOAD that protects the motor, as has been stated in this forum countless times before <sigh>.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #2

07/10/2013 11:27 PM

CB might trip for starting current,it depends on method of starting.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #4

07/11/2013 3:14 AM

In that case the contents of BS7671 have not been applied correctly.

Good Answers: 40
In reply to #2

07/11/2013 12:39 PM

There used to be some MCB's that where designed for motor protection also. Trip curve was set for motor protection. I think they where by Westinghouse - now by Eaton? called "MPCB" Motor Protection Circuit Breaker.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #7

07/15/2013 1:59 AM

MCB selection for motors should take into account the method of starting(DOL,star delta-open/closed transition etc) and the duration so that it won't trip. In open transition star-delta starting, during changeover high transient/peak should be considered. Catalogs of manufacturers (eg:Hager) might give example of selecting MCB for motor.

In reply to #2

07/12/2013 1:13 AM

thanks Mr PWSlack

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

07/10/2013 7:48 PM

You're signature:

In Search Of Intelligent Life, Somewhere, Anywhere.

Don't bother looking at home!

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #3

07/11/2013 3:39 AM

You're Your

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 166

07/14/2013 11:32 AM

Do not use MCBs for motor protection. However, you may use an MCB as a back-up switching & protection device in a motor starter feeder with the MCB offering short circuit protection. In such a case, proper co-ordination is required between the MCB, the contactor and the overload relay.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

07/15/2013 1:47 AM

See #7

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

07/15/2013 11:23 AM

I beg to differ. MCBs & MCCBs are grossly different products. The overload curve in an MCB is designed with cable protection in mind and the instantaneous protection is a band (i.e.) between 3 to 5 In for B Curve MCB, between 5 to 10 In for C Curve MCB and between 10 to 20In for D Curve MCB.

Whereas in an MPCB, the overload curve is perfectly tuned for motor protection and also the instantaneous release is also very precise.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

07/15/2013 12:12 PM

The point I was trying to make, was that adequate protection for motor applications was available in the familiar "molded case" style of "breaker". If you take apart an MCB and a MPCB you find essentially the same internals, but with different O/L's and trip units installed.

I 100% agree that you have to specifically select the protection device for the application.

Instead of using a standard circuit breaker, and a motor starter with O/L's, you can often use a single device that provides the manual closing, and the motor protection in one assembly, greatly reducing wiring time, panel space, and total cost of the installation.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

07/15/2013 6:13 PM

Agreed! I too am a great fan of MPCB.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); eautocad (1); electricalexpert65 (3); GW (3); lyn (1); pnaban (2); PWSlack (2); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: Electric Motor Terminal Box Cable Gland   Next in Forum: How To Calculate Motor Capacity Using Only Fan Capacity

Advertisement