Previous in Forum: Black Rubberized Line Going into Freezer has a Slight Drip   Next in Forum: Burmse Pythons
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Associate

Ideas To Store Drill Bits & Taps

09/04/2013 1:37 PM

I have about 50 odd size drill bits and taps in metric and imperial and currently I store them in a box which is very inconvenient to find what I want

I would like to store them in a way which I will be able to find what I want easily and one idea I have is to cut a piece of melamine, drill some holes and put them all on top standing up.

That's easy enough but then I have to label each drill / tap what size it is and some taps have their specific drill bit. Labeling looks like to be a problem because it has to be neat and not removable

I wonder if anyone came up with a better idea

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

Re: Ideas to store Drill Bits & Taps

09/04/2013 2:05 PM

Sure, go to a flea market, garage sale or ebay and buy someone's empty holder (might even get some sizes that you don't already have!)

Good Answers: 28

09/04/2013 2:07 PM

one method might be a cloth roll with pockets that the drills and taps fit. The pockets can be marked with sizes, and rolled up protects all of the items from other objects and dirt. Added benefit is easy carrying.

Guru

Good Answers: 1733

09/04/2013 2:33 PM

Good Answers: 292

Re: Ideas To Store Drill Bits & Taps

09/04/2013 2:56 PM

Fishing tackle box: see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGCxGeEH8Z8

or, a sewing box.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

09/04/2013 3:01 PM

Just drill holes in blocks of wood.

That's what machinists have been doing for over a century. It still works.

Otherwise, buy one of those 60-drawer plastic cabinets at Wal-Mart and label the drawers.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 151

09/04/2013 3:29 PM

What you are looking for is called a "Drill Index" they are usually a small sheet metal box with folding inserts to hold a complete selection of drills in various series. For example fractional inch sizes from 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths, number sizes, letter sizes, or metric sizes. They are available from any industrial supply outlet.

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #6

09/05/2013 12:36 PM

The drill indexes also can be purchased to hold the specific sized drill and tap. I've seem them for fine thread pitches as well as course thread pitches. As stated by gringogreg, an industrial supply outlet should carry them. If not, try Sears and Roebucks or try McMaster Carr Supply company. They show a plastic drill and tap stand in their catalog, Part #2972A11. $8.09 but my catalog is quite old.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

09/04/2013 3:52 PM

Since their all odd sizes don't see the problem most likely don't see much use anyway.

Have mine in drilled wood. Didn't mark them. For one size marking can lead to false sense of security. Some of which are so close in size it's better to force yourself to get out the mics or calibers to make sure.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

09/04/2013 5:41 PM

This guy came up with some cool ideas. I like the drill index/ wood block combo; I could write the drill sizes on the wood, and not have to go find my reading glasses to see the numbers.

http://woodgears.ca/tool_holders/

Good Answers: 292
In reply to #8

09/05/2013 4:45 AM

Yeah: looks great, but, look again and compare it with your own workshop/shed. Looks to me like a workshop that's never been used; 95% of the tools look as if they've never been used either.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #12

09/05/2013 6:27 AM

True. That's why I didn't mention my own organizing system; drills, (and everything else), are tossed randomly around where I last used them.

09/04/2013 9:20 PM

Thank you all for the answers

Some pretty good ideas in there

Good Answers: 4

09/05/2013 12:33 AM

My system is a bit of a hybrid, but very flexible and has easy access.

I have an 18" long x 4" wide x 4" tall box filled with #6 coin envelopes.

All my twist drills are organized by size with the decimal, # size, and fraction information appropriate for that bit written on the bag. This works very well for all sizes up to about 1/2"

In the back, I have a separate section for taps. In each envelope are a variety of taps for the same size thread, and additional twist drills for pre-drilling for the tap (with that size written on the bag as well).

Along the sides of the box, I have some look-up guides, empty envelopes for expansion, and a note card with sizes I need to re-order.

The size of the box was perfect to allow for all the sizes (US), and room for some Metrics, as well. If the box is not full with all your sizes, you can put a block of wood in the back to keep the bags standing up.

In use, I pull the envelope out or just lift the flap for the size I am using, then I know where to return it. The box can move with me to different work stations and be kept out of the way when not in use like any drill index, just a little larger.

This system has the flexibility I need for a growing inventory, including many copies or different finishes of the same size drill in some bags for some of the more popular sizes.

My larger bits, taps & dies I don't use that much, so I keep them in segregated drawers by type in my parts cabinet where I keep counter sinks, Christmas Tree bits, deburring tools, handles, etc..

Hope this helps...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

09/05/2013 1:12 AM

Nicolas,

The best drill index is the one that fits your needs!

Being a Machinist for so many years, everyone i worked with had a different way of organizing their drills and taps.

There is no one perfect system.

I, myself had a triple drill index. (Fractional, Number, and Letter) and because I was the only one using it, I could trust the markings and that the drill was the correct size I needed.

All my taps were in my tool chest roughly separated by size or supplied by the shop.

However, almost every Machinist did have a wood block with holes drilled in it for the most common bits.

BA

09/05/2013 5:38 AM

? what system - i got calibers 0.02mm stored so i can quickly get 1 - the bits got self-arranged so as they fall into home set of Ø<2mm or Ø<6mm or Ø>=6mm - there's no room for index-shells @ my place (not an exhibition)

09/05/2013 7:10 AM

I agree BA that we all have certain ways to organize

With the ideas posted here I can now choose / modify my way

Thank you all again

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

09/05/2013 9:21 AM

I use (with satisfaction) the drilled block mentioned by several posters. I placed the most used sizes on top, and the seldom used sizes in the side. Still had them handy, but not crowding the most often used sizes.

In addition, I drilled out a larger hole on one end and inserted a small metal cup to be filled with drill/tap fluid. Handy, works out very well for me.

Good Answers: 7

09/05/2013 11:21 AM

Being the packrat that I am, I have saved my Altoids tins for some time. When I came across the very same dilemma, I put a tap, bottom tap, die, and appropriate sized drill bit in the tin, and labelled the outside with the correct size. I also found that labelling the edge of the box then setting them edgewise in a plastic bin made for easy storage, easy removal and installation, and you can tote the correct tin to the drill press, mill, etc. All of the pieces stay together, and you have clean containers that keep it all neat. Hope this makes sense!!

Cheers!!

Good Answers: 9

09/05/2013 2:42 PM

All good ideas! I've used many of them in the past and still use some of them. I have a massive collection of Altoid tins in current use. My biggest problem with drill bits came when I purchased a 41/64" Silver & Deming bit for a special project - there was no place for it in my drill index! It turns out that I have a large collection of "misfits." My solution was to purchase butyrate(the clear stuff that many bits are sold in) tubing with vinyl caps to fit both ends; they are easy to label and protect the bits from dirt, corrosion and rubbing against other bits(which dulls them). I keep them in a drawer labeled "Special Bits."

Register to Reply
Commentator

Location: Located in South eastern North Carolina, I am a retired Supt of Public Works. also I am wheelchair confined due to an INdustrial accident of the Bends (Caissone Disease) from a construction Diver/underwater mechanic.
Good Answers: 2

09/06/2013 11:28 AM

The Altoid boxes remind me of my grandfathers tobacco tins, of 3/4 of a century ago. Some tape over the ends of drills, kept this way, does prevent dulling by contact. A flat index steel is always handy where drills are used, for checking sizes, whether fractional, letter or number drills. No one system is perfect for a busy shop. And a mobile shop is more difficult, but important to keep orderly. There the fishing box may be best.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

09/06/2013 2:57 PM

I use the wooden block holder in addition to others, usually dependent upon how much it costs and how much I need quality.

For my block I took a block of wood and drilled in a pattern of 5 holes deep by whatever is needed wide. All holes are drilled slightly over size for the piece in it. One row of 5 for each size/pitch. First hole in the rows is for the taper tap, 2nd is for plug tap, 3rd for the bottoming tap, 4th for tapping size drill and the 5th for the hole size drill. Holes are spaced wide enough to get my big fingers in to pick up a tap with my thumb and index fingers. A sheet of old rubber gasket material is glued on the bottom to prevent sliding. All rows (5 holes) are labeled as to the size thread and the columns labeled as to type at each end. Made out of mahogany laminated together (because it was available free). Haven't polyurethaned it yet but should have before using it for esthetic reasons. Limited it to up to 1/2" because I seldom use bigger than that. When I make my next one it will be two pieces, one 0--->#5 and 6---> 1/2", the smaller ones are seldom used and can sit in a cabinet until used and then put back in place.

Excess taps are kept in coin envelopes (better than bank money envelopes) in a box in a tool stand.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Bob Sullivan (1); ci139 (1); Doorman (1); evaluator (1); Gene Hayes (1); gringogreg (1); kramarat (2); LongintheTooth (1); mastrsmth (1); old salt (1); Original_Macgyver (1); oskar27 (2); ozzb (1); RAMConsult (1); Randall (2); SolarEagle (1); WhiteHorse (1)

Previous in Forum: Black Rubberized Line Going into Freezer has a Slight Drip   Next in Forum: Burmse Pythons

Advertisement