Previous in Forum: PC Recovery: Cloning and Backup Opinions   Next in Forum: Windows 7 Back?
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 145

Cloned Technical Websites

01/14/2014 6:40 PM

I received an email from the Element 14 forum website about a cloned website so I thought I'd post it here for everyones benefit.

Community Members,

A website has cloned element14.com. It looks completely legitimate - except the URL displayed is not element14.com. Upon investigation, it appears this group has also cloned other popular technical sites.

We're not sure why they're doing this - it could be to obtain personal information or to distribute malware or some other dubious activity. This fake site is currently down, but we are notifying our customers and element14 Community members to be careful.

How can you tell if you're on the real element14?

The easiest way is to look at the URL that appears in your browser. It should start with www.element14.com.

The counterfeit site is using a URL like this: http://element14.(SomethingElse).com. For the Internet-savvy reading this, you'll recognize this is actually a sub domain of (SomethingElse).com. Don't be fooled by the fact that it starts out with "element14."

If you have received a message recently asking you to login to the element14 site, or have visited a site like this for any reason, please take appropriate precautions to reset your password by visiting the element14.com and updating your profile. You may also wish to update your computer's virus definitions (e.g. McAfee, Symantec, etc.) to ensure that there's no malware or viruses on your systems as a result of visiting that site. We will never send email asking you for your username or password. If you receive any suspicious email, please notify us by posting it in our Feedback and Support area.

Thank you!

The element14 Community Team

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

Re: Cloned Technical Websites

01/14/2014 10:45 PM

This holds true for any website, check the address carefully when directing your browser to a new website.....

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

Re: Cloned Technical Websites

01/16/2014 5:47 AM

We have here plenty of free software that identifies such sites and gives warning in German, so I bet that there is similar software around in the language of your choice!!!

These types of Clone websites cause major problem for many people, the method is called "Phishing", which I find to be a good, self explanatory name.

Look here for a good explanation and a software list that will help to protect you from such problems:-

Anti-phishing software

The list of good software is quite long.......

Anyone who is on the internet with no protection is being very, very stupid indeed as most good antivirus software also integrates Anti-phishing too....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: PC Recovery: Cloning and Backup Opinions   Next in Forum: Windows 7 Back?

Advertisement