Previous in Forum: Arrester MCOV - Different Values, Line And Substation   Next in Forum: Voltage Detector For Proving Dead
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Non-Intrusive In Field Test For Wood Pole

01/15/2014 12:24 AM

Hi Friends,

Happy New Year!!!

I am looking for a "non-intrusive in field test for wood pole below ground condition assessment".

We drill a hole to determine condition of wood for the electricity distribution network poles. I am interested if you have developed/deployed more efficient techniques to inspect?

I am looking for a technique that is quick, reliable, cost efficient and provide condition of the wood both above ground and below ground. It will be even better if it gives trendable condition data. Thank you so much in advance for your comments / suggestions.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: poles testing timber wood
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Non-intrusive in field test for wood pole

01/15/2014 8:51 AM

What - sodium octaborate tablets aren't in use?

Good Answers: 206

Re: Non-Intrusive In Field Test For Wood Pole

01/15/2014 10:02 AM

these work wonders

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

01/15/2014 1:03 PM

Earth penetrating radar might be useful but I doubt you have the budget for that.

Guru

Good Answers: 116

01/16/2014 1:31 AM

A friend of mine who worked in the UK for the telephone company BT (British Telecom) told me that before they are allowed to climb a pole they MUST attend a two week course on pole safety.

One of the videos he mentioned and I've seen, is how to assess if the pole is good or not, by hitting it above ground with a very large hammer. The sound tells all.... and this practice STILL continues, even in the USA.

But being someone who likes a challenge, I found this link

http://www.vonaq.com/cxi-pt5000.html

Good Answers: 116

01/16/2014 1:51 AM

of course the other way to test a pole for strength and durability is this..

This also works!

Good Answers: 29

01/16/2014 5:18 AM

When you find this illusive butterfly, please let the world know, as of this date, the old fashioned lump-hammer-test, 'drill-a-hole-and-plug-the-hole-test', 'dig-the-soil-and -inspect-the-pole-butt-test' and 'give-it-a-good-shove-to-see-if-it-falls-over-test' are still in effect today.

Even seismic hammers have been tried and the safest way is the original ways. They are safe, but not as you want, cost efficient, and the inspections involve work, and common sense. Both of which are in short supply these days. Any good linesman knows his wood poles.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

brich (2); Fredski (1); IQ (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: Arrester MCOV - Different Values, Line And Substation   Next in Forum: Voltage Detector For Proving Dead

Advertisement