Previous in Forum: Back Charge of Transformer from Diesel Generator   Next in Forum: Altium DXP Routing Strategy For CNC Milling Of Boards
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 17

NFPA NECPlus

01/31/2014 11:25 AM

Dammit! Now the NFPA is cancelling the NECPlus. This is a problem for a lot of people who use it at work and cannot control their browser...and are stuck with Internet Explorer.

The new product, NFPA enhanced eBooks, won't run on Internet Explorer according to information from the NFPA (ONLY Firefox, Chrome, and Safari).

I guess everybody wants to squint at their phones when looking up the code.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411

Re: NFPA NECPlus

01/31/2014 11:40 AM

I have the hard copy of NFPA 86 (National Fire Protection Association), but was thinking of getting the digital versions........... which are PDF's correct?

In reply to #1

01/31/2014 12:07 PM

It looks to be some kind of enhanced PDF content...not sure yet. I messaged the NFPA on Facebook...of all things.

The hard copies come with my NECPlus subscription, but it was so convenient and included the expanded content, which had somebody's "Mike Holtish" interpretations.

Twas cool.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

01/31/2014 12:12 PM

Where have you been? The NECPlus program cancellation was announced in August '13, the last day of access is Feb. 28, 2014. This year everything will be available as PDFs, and they are browser independent, relying instead on your PDF viewer program.

From another forum:

Thank you for contacting the National Fire Protection Association(NFPA).

NFPA has decided to stop offering NECPlus yearly subscriptions, because the 2014 NEC will not be going into NECPlus. The last day of access to NECPlus will be on February 28, 2014.

There will be no subscription replacement product, however there will be an enhanced eBook product for the 2014 NEC - with changes (from the 2011 NEC) identified. This will be a one-time purchase product (not a subscription). The 2014 NEC enhanced eBook will provide our customers with more mobility (via use on tablets and smartphones) and it will include features such as bookmarking, user notes, and highlighting options.

"NEC Connect" is our new online resource and community for all things related to the National Electrical Code. Learn about the latest in electrical safety, wiring, guidelines, and equipment, along with upcoming electrical code updates, tips and the latest social updates from the NFPA. NEC Connect is your one-stop shop for residential and industrial electrical safety, whether you are an installer, designer, inspector or policy maker. Join fellow contractors and engineers, and sample the latest video content, articles and more from industry experts.

In reply to #3

02/02/2014 12:14 AM

Dang...missed all that some how. I just got that wording in an email.

guess I'll be buying some PDF's. Sucks, because the NECPlus had like three or four codes back too.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

01/31/2014 10:59 PM

The Tiinkerer-

The NEC is simply section 70 of the NFPA codes. All the NFPA codes were available as one unit and, I think they still are, were available on hard copy. Each month they send you the sections that have been updated and you replace the old ones with the new ones. NFPA codes are reviewed and updated approx. every 3 years. That's why the NEC is reissued every 3 years. Unfortunately the cost of this is $1,295.00/yr. Included with this are all of the NFPA codes. Ever want to know what a ladder truck must carry? It is in there!

Other alternatives are the same content but by internet log on, CD, and a couple alternatives. Basically though, each one costs the same $1,295.00/yr subscription. There is a discount for members so joining the NFPA could be cheaper to get what you want.

I just wanted to provide some information on the NFPA systems. You might be aware of more alternatives. I would suggest calling them and seeing what alternatives they think they can provide to fit your needs. Also they are tax deductible!

Good Luck, Old Salt

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

old salt (1); phoenix911 (1); RAMConsult (1); The.Tinkerer (2)

Previous in Forum: Back Charge of Transformer from Diesel Generator   Next in Forum: Altium DXP Routing Strategy For CNC Milling Of Boards

Advertisement