Previous in Forum: New Study: Every Black Hole Contains Another Universe   Next in Forum: Parachutes For Planes
Close
Close
Close
91 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 33

What Was In The Malaysian Plane´s Hold?

03/19/2014 8:35 AM

Last evening, watching the news, I noticed that since the plane is missing nobody ever mentioned what was on it´s hold, as there may be the clue for the whole story: what if it transported a pile of money, undeclared weapons or nuclear stuff of military interest? Wouldn´t that justify the kidnapping / shooting down the plane? My theory may sound a bit unrealistic, but looking back: who ever imagined 9 / 11 would ever happen??

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75

Re: What was on the Malaysian plane´s hold?

03/19/2014 9:05 AM

It was a passenger plane, so it's unlikely there was much room for anything but passenger luggage. Perhaps a more pertinant question is "who was on the plane?"

I hope that the passengers haven't been killed because they are perceived as so much dead weight.

It's unlikely the plane was shot down - the systems would have still been on and emitted a distress call had that happened. Things are pointing to an inside job.

masu can explain more...

In reply to #1

03/19/2014 9:19 AM

I don´t know exactly how much cargo this particular plane can carry, but certainly not less than 10 tons! Should it have been carrying money other valuables, weaponry, etc that is plenty of stuff.

In reply to #2

03/19/2014 10:36 AM

I heard from someone about the possibility of there being 10 tons of gold aboard the plane.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #3

03/19/2014 11:19 AM

Bloke in a pub told me it was 10 tons of Unobtainium. His mate said it was smack.

In reply to #4

03/19/2014 12:27 PM

By definition, Unobtainium is quite hard to get ... but 10 tons of smack probably cost as much as the entire plane!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #6

03/20/2014 9:27 AM

No, Hardtogettium is quite hard to get, Unobtanium is almost unobtainable.

However, if you need to, and people aren't looking too closely, you can substitute Handwavium for either if you need to, and that's relatively easy to come by, again, as long as nobody's looking too closely at the details.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #24

03/20/2014 9:32 AM

you are so right!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #26

03/20/2014 10:32 AM

Thanks, after I posted, I was afraid I cad crafted my comment from weapons-grade Balognium.

I could go in, I've got plenty of Adinfinutum to worh with, but I'm not sure people would enjoy the quantity of Adnausuim left ofer as a by-broduct.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

Good Answers: 128

Re: What Was In The Malaysian Plane´s Hold?

03/19/2014 11:49 AM

I believe I heard on the news that the Malaysian authorities were refusing access to the cargo manifest (list to you and me). If so it sounds suspicious. Can anybody confirm?

Good Answers: 125

03/19/2014 1:28 PM

Last minute load of Mangosteen fruit.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #7

03/19/2014 10:36 PM

I ate the mangosteen. Cargo was durian - which is why they won't allow you to see the manifest. Face, et al.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #12

03/20/2014 5:49 AM

If I remember correctly, Durian smells like rotting meat, but tastes great!......can anyone confirm that?

Its a long time since I had one......

In reply to #19

03/20/2014 5:52 AM

Absolutely! Season is on now ;-)

In reply to #19

03/20/2014 9:10 AM

I have recently been in Viet Nam, staying at an (allegedly) 5 stars hotel. At the counter was a quite big sign prohibiting the guests to consume Durian at their premises. There was also a 500 U$S fine. Although I saw the fruit on street markets I did not dare to eat it! :-)

In reply to #22

03/20/2014 9:23 AM

Good Answers: 206

03/19/2014 4:11 PM

irrelevant

Guru

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #8

03/20/2014 4:14 AM

Maybe not!

If the information is correct and they had a brief moment to fly over the allowed altitude and if we assume this was a deliberate act then I would say this was the point to finish off all the passengers for only one reason and this is to free the way for whatever had to be done on the plane.

If there was anything valuable on board it left the plane with the perpetrators ones they got to lower altitudes.

I still think it was a freak accident!

Good Answers: 1723

03/19/2014 4:17 PM

There was a load of these strange pods....

In reply to #9

03/20/2014 9:29 AM

"Don't fall asleep! That's when they get you!"

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

03/19/2014 6:23 PM

I heard that they were carrying a kilogram of anti-mater in a wooden box with termites.

What I can't understand is why a commercial airliner would have an OFF switch for a transponder. Granted, it might be important to have it off while on the runway to keep the high energy RF down to a rumble, but once the plane left the ground it should be on all the time.

Why we put so much faith in human control is more than I can understand. We leave the doors to disaster open all the time. Shouldn't we then expect some disaster? Perhaps we should blame the movie industry for making us think that automation is undependable. It's people we can't usually depend on.

Perhaps it was aliens that abducted them. They'll reappear in about 30 years with half a tank of fuel and looking the same as they did the day they disappeared, or not...

Good Answers: 50
In reply to #10

03/19/2014 6:54 PM

The idea for all aircraft is to let the pilot/copilot control all aspects of power system management. If there were a "smoke in cockpit" event, you want to be able to clear circuit breakers in all attempts to stop a fire located in an avionics box. Then there is emergency operating procedures where you are in a position to load shed all non-essential power loads so that the flight can continue safely to emergency landing.

Aircraft systems are not designed to prevent operator suicide.

In reply to #11

03/20/2014 4:23 AM

"Aircraft systems are not designed to prevent operator suicide."

You are only talking about now.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #10

03/20/2014 5:56 AM

I mentioned the same thing, why can it be switched off/standbye in flight? But in another CR4 blog. The laughable "experts"Poo Poohed the idea of stopping that, but no flights are allowed without it as far as I am aware.....

Thanks for inadvertently supporting my own thoughts!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 16

03/19/2014 10:39 PM

Maybe what is better to followup is what may have NOT been loaded on the plane. It is easier to recover/relocate when it never left the ground. To cover the situation, the plane with the empty space has to disappear.

And then there is the luggage of the passengers ... another potential bonus.

As for the freight lift capability of a Boeing 777 200ER, the spec sheets says that it can carry ...

Cargo

Total volume 5,330 cu ft
(151 cu m) includes up to
six pallets, 14 LD-3
containers, plus 600 cu ft
(17 cu m) bulk cargo.

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #13

03/19/2014 11:39 PM

Lot's of space sure. What about the cargo weight limits?

In reply to #14

03/20/2014 1:15 AM

Shifting freight economically is usually a balance between high density and bulk light stuff. Even our Australian Postal Service (that runs in the black) has a combination weight plus length, width, height measurement to determine the postal rate of moving parcels profiitably.

03/20/2014 4:25 AM

We may never know.....until the Chinese go up to have a look for themselves.

Good Answers: 28

03/20/2014 11:07 AM

According to one of the "experts" I saw interviewed he postulated about the dreaded "crate of Lithium batteries" in the hold. Never said how he knew there was a crate of Lithium batteries in the hold though.

In reply to #28

03/20/2014 2:37 PM

If the forwarder properly declared the lithium batteries allegedly contained in the crate, the cargo must have complied to strict IATA specifications for such a potentially hazardous product. Nevertheless batteries may have started a fire or -even exploded.

In reply to #29

03/20/2014 3:41 PM

I'm not saying that they could not have caused a problem, I'm just curious how he would state that this as a problem without knowing there were any on the plane since as I understand it the Malaysian Airlines have not released any cargo manifest. I personally felt that another explanation by a classmate who is a pilot that a tire blowout on take-off could result in it catching fire, being retracted into the wheel bay, smoldering and then erupting into flames. The fire would burn through some electric cables, one transponder goes out, then burning through another set of cables, second transponder and communications go out, and then smoke fills cabin. Pilot tries to climb high to put fire out by less O2 up there but at 45,000 feet the design limit is exceeded and by then the cabin could be compromised by the fire. He then dives to get down to 10,000 feet when there is sufficient O2 for breathing, sets a course for Male in the Maldives where there is an airport with a decent runway, puts on the autopilot toward that area but somewhere the pilots lose consciousness and the plane keeps going till it runs out of fuel. I thought that this scenario fit better than the Lithium Batteries since I would assume that there have been precautions and requirements when it comes to those items in light of the several incidents involving them. I think that the crash a few years ago in the Florida Everglades was attributed to Lithium batteries being shipped and poorly packaged for air shipment. However, since one expert stated that the 777 has something like 7 redundant power systems that scenario is hard to comprehend.

In reply to #30

03/22/2014 3:47 AM

The landing gear bays are outfitted with fire detectors and fire extinguishers in newer planes... but should that have happened, the question is how effective they are to extinguish such a large amount of rubber composites.

In reply to #28

03/20/2014 4:08 PM

That is the main battery power for the aircraft I expect, Boeing have had LOTS of problems with it.....but I would most surprised if it turned off IFF, turned the aircraft round and flew it into the Indian Ocean area....for many hours. It was still "talking" to Satellites.

I found a great picture on BBC news online, it has the various times also on it:-

In reply to #31

03/21/2014 12:23 AM

Interesting graphic.

The red arc heads BOTH north and south. Are there abandoned secret bases north with a good airstrip, cut off comms, maybe accommodation and food in dorms where the passengers could be 'parked' in electronic silence. The gang clears out the plane's cabin and hold then disappears in another plane. Hopefully if that is the case, the passengers will organise themselves and it is Robinson Crusoe repeated ... with movie rights!

In reply to #32

03/21/2014 6:58 AM

Are you talking about places like the the British Indian Ocean Territory ? Images of Google maps on that area have always been (intentionally) blurred

In reply to #33

03/21/2014 9:51 AM

Christmas Island (50 minutes flying south from Jakarta) and Cocos Island (a long way from anything) are both Australian territories. And then there is Diego Garcia as part of the BIOT is small but loaded up with spy kit so I do not see that as an option.

I watched a Singaporean 777 leave Perth airport this afternoon less than 2km from its flight path ... quite low (and climbing) but it did seem quite quiet. See Webtrak Enter time 5.34.45pm (for 21 March 2014) and watch it fly north (blue shape) with 30 seconds of "noise tail". From the dB levels in the yellow circles, it was not making a lot of noise. Click on the circles and see a moving graph.

Sadly, the 'height' of Webtrak is about 10,000 ft so high flying military aircraft (and others) passing over the top are not displayed on this system. Webtrak is designed to assist the community with noise complaints. The material is delayed about 50 minutes for security. Is it available in your part of the world? It is tech engineering stuff like this that can empower the community, although not the original intention.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #34

03/21/2014 10:23 AM

Have you looked at Flightradar24?

This is a screen-grab I did a couple of minutes ago of the planes piling into Heathrow (LHR)

In reply to #35

03/21/2014 11:09 AM

Did not know of Flightradar24 ... clicked on it and my home town came up instantly.
And then you can wander the world and even Malaysia. See Flightradar24 for MH370
There appears to be access to historical data ... yet to check! Thankyou.

In reply to #33

03/21/2014 11:36 AM

I think they blur most water only regions, to save on storage requirements. Where I live (on the land, not in town) is also not too clear, but the next town is pretty clear.....

In reply to #37

03/22/2014 4:01 AM

Poor quality or blurred images are also seen in certain inhabited territories in my country, but in the case of these British islands, it is done on purpose as a large UK military facility is located there. Some of the military planes that took part in air strikes during the Gulf War (and later events in that region) were / are based in this insular territory. According to some articles I read, native inhabitants have been removed from there some decades ago, being relocated somewhere else. Despite having won a trial against the UK government on some international court, they have not been allowed to return since.

In reply to #39

03/22/2014 4:25 AM

Blurred you say?

A facility I worked at in Oz isn't blurred it's been photoshopped over with samples from the surrounding terrain. Not blurry just no sign of it.

A blur can be a target but if there is no hint at all then it isn't there to become a target. Right?

Sorry, NDA applies.

In reply to #40

03/22/2014 4:35 AM

NDA - or NSA?

In reply to #41

03/22/2014 4:46 AM

NDA with another TLA.

In reply to #40

03/22/2014 6:54 AM

yes, you are right, I misused the word blurred

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #28

03/24/2014 9:14 AM

Perhaps he was just postulating this as a common cargo item with a known potential hazard.

In reply to #28

03/24/2014 9:51 AM

How true!

I took it (maybe wrongly) that he was talking about the onboard Battery power that is usually somewhere around the cargo area anyway.....

03/24/2014 9:23 PM

It's most likely full of Indian Ocean water now.

So tragic. I hope that the root cause of this tragedy can be determined.

03/24/2014 9:30 PM

Some are suggesting an oxygen system issue - either not properly engaged or a failure.

If that was the case, there was a similar tragic 'ghost flight' incident in Australia in June 2011.

In reply to #47

03/25/2014 7:26 AM

Although nothing can be sid with 100% truth as of now, the loss of oxygen could not account for the fact that on course the IFF was switched off, then the course was changed almost 180° and the aircraft flew a further 7 odd hours.......

This has now been fully supported by the company that received the satellite pings from various bits of plane hardware...it is now known that the previously possible north west course was NOT taken.....

So its somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean......probably with a better than 95% chance......

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #48

03/26/2014 4:52 PM

"Although nothing can be sid with 100% truth as of now"

That was a 100% truthful statement!

In reply to #54

03/27/2014 12:45 PM

I'm 85.3% sure it was.

Guru

In reply to #47

03/25/2014 7:35 AM

Sure as hell ain't gunna make a movie. Was it a door that was seen in the sea near the last reported (from pilot) position?

In reply to #47

03/25/2014 9:12 AM

The lack of O2 theory sounds a bit weird to me, as commercial airplanes have many different warning systems.

The passengers have "masks that automatically will fall in the event of..." with an air supply of 10 min or so.

The crew on the cockpit has a completely independent system with about 45 min of air supply.

03/25/2014 9:59 PM

Well, unfortunately there seems to be more and more evidence that the flight ended in the way none of us would have liked it to. The little child that still remains in my old body certainly would have loved an outcome as in James Bond movies, where the bad guys kidnapped the plane and passengers for some obscure reasons, which eventually were set free by the good guys.... but well, this is probably a mechanism human beings have for denying reality. I honestly wish this case can be cleared soon in order to make commercial flights even safer as they are today. I also wish that this investigation also reveals that the pilots were real heroes doing their best to save the aircraft and passengers. My condolences to the relatives of all the people on board.

In reply to #51

03/26/2014 9:18 AM

What he said.

I don't suppose, even if they find the "crash site" (aka point(s) on the sea bed where significant parts have come to rest) they'll be able to tell if the (assumed) bad guys got what they wanted and got off. I hope something happened that meant they met the same fate as their victims.

Pax

In reply to #52

03/26/2014 10:30 AM

The news this AM, Eastern Daylight Saving time, now says that over 100 pieces of debris spotted by a satellite in southern Indian Ocean down where the other 3 had been spotted.Looks more and more like catastrophic problem followed by "zombie pilot" condition and the plane followed some southwest course till it ran out of fuel.

In reply to #53

03/27/2014 7:21 AM

I tend to agree with you, similar to my personal thoughts (guesses!).

I hope that eventually the true reasons are found.....and that the bodies loved ones can be returned, but the Air France flight is still missing over 70 bodies if I remember correctly.....

Good Answers: 114

03/26/2014 4:56 PM

They can't show you the cargo because it was that lightest of elements, Invisibilium.

In reply to #55

03/27/2014 12:49 PM

I thought the lightest element was Upsidasium, found only in the peak of Flat-top Mountain, near Frostbite Falls. Well the base of the mountain is there, the bek kind of wanders the sky as it drifts in the air currents.

"And now for something we hope you'll really like..."

Guru

03/29/2014 8:48 PM

My brother was an ex-pat pilot for Cathay Pacific based in Hong Kong and flew with them for some 30 years until retiring in 1992. His roster had him flying Cathay Pacific's only lost plane but by chance or luck there was a crew change. See Wikipedia entry following.

Cathay Pacific Flight 700Z was a flight flying from Bangkok to Hong Kong's Kai Tak Airport on 15 June 1972. There were 71 passengers and 10 crew on the flight. A bomb exploded in a suitcase placed under a seat in the cabin while the flight was flying at 29000 ft (8,839 m) (FL290) over Pleiku, South Vietnam. The aircraft disintegrated and crashed. All people on board were killed.

"A police officer whose fiancée and daughter were aboard was charged with the crime",[1] and the suspect was declared not guilty at a trial due to a lack of evidence.[2] As of 2014, this was the last Cathay Pacific flight incident with fatalities.

One of the alleged reasons for the Cathay Pacific suitcase bomb was that it was all a massive insurance fraud, with particular passengers 'protected' by special one-off substantial policies. When asking the question of what was in the hold, maybe the answers lie in the potential large and varied insurance claims that might come out of the clouds.

In reply to #59

03/30/2014 1:05 AM

Interesting spin Don.

So, working backwards from who stands to gain from the loss might reveal a potential cause.

MAS is fully insured.....I'm pretty sure that the grieving relatives and all other stakeholders will be profiled.

I wonder what next year's insurance premium will look like for MAS?

The actuaries are hard at work reviewing the risk for all B777's as we type I'm sure.

In reply to #60

03/30/2014 5:24 AM

You can buy personal insurance coverage at airports. Imagine if a passenger or a family had a private substantial insurance policy taken out by someone on the ground. A bit like betting on the horses.

In reply to #61

03/30/2014 2:15 PM

Not completely impossible.... but no too easy considering nowadays controls of luggage and passengers prior to boarding. Didn´t such a thing happen on one of the "Airport" movies in the early 70´s?

In reply to #62

03/30/2014 9:12 PM

Luggage controls are definitely stronger .... so what about the teams that clean planes between flights?

In reply to #63

03/30/2014 10:30 PM

I guess there are easier ways to cheat an insurance company....

04/07/2014 11:26 PM

More conspiracy stuff about what was in the hold.

Subject: MH370http://pakistancyberforce.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/malaysia-airlines-mh370-suspicious.html

Guru

In reply to #65

04/08/2014 12:30 AM

Let's see what they find at the bottom of the Indian Ocean.

One month though is plenty of time to extract the black boxes from a landed plane and take them out to sea and drop them into some really deep water with concrete boots on.......

something screwy going on around here

In reply to #66

04/08/2014 2:25 AM

I have similar thoughts .... indeed, plenty of time to reconstruct a couple of black boxes and then position them on the sea bed with a bit of 'plane-like' panels to align with a suitable story to 'fit the facts'. At no time has the manifest been listed for MH370. Was there another pilot on the flight not listed in the passenger and crew list?

I do not know enough about the construction of a Boeing 777 like lockers and trapdoors to pressurised areas where someone might hide. And if the flight was not full, then surely it would be easy to walk onto the flight as a cleaner and take up a vacant seat. And at the appropriate time, take over the flight .... and then the sequence unfolds.

In reply to #67

04/08/2014 2:36 AM

What an amazing fluke that after searching ½ the Indian Ocean & no debris, ships 'just happen' to pick up a number of very specific signals which have only a very limited range. Are they, or are they not, stereo locating the signal source? Why not? Occams gunna stick his nose in here soon.

In reply to #65

04/08/2014 5:11 AM

Now that is REALLY funny, if it was not so sad for all the innocent passengers and crew......

A week ago, a few may have believed it too, but since the Chinese have (apparently) heard the black boxes transmitters, almost exactly where the Sat Pings put the aircraft (Southern Indian Ocean), such "stories" only go to prove how stupid such writers really are.....

....but someone will believe them, always.....like even some US citizens STILL believe that NASA did not put people on the moon, in spite of the fact that the stuff they left behind can still be seen on good telescopes....the laser reflectors they left behind after each of several visits are still used even today.....

See here:-

Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

Thanks for posting.

In reply to #69

04/08/2014 5:22 AM

Thanks for that Lunar laser heads up.

04/09/2014 7:05 AM

AOL online article:

"PERTH, Australia (AP) - A ship searching for the missing Malaysian jet has detected two more underwater signals, raising hopes the wreckage of the plane will be spotted soon, the Australian official in charge of the search said Wednesday."

If two more pings have been found: ow many black boxes did this plane have?

In reply to #71

04/09/2014 7:37 AM

Two?

Fairly standard I believe....I am sure someone here will know exactly.....

In reply to #72

04/09/2014 7:55 AM

there should be 2 pings to a plane (1 for each flight recorder). The Chinese claimed having located the pings some days ago. This article from AP says two more were found by an Aussie ship: does it mean there are 2 missing planes now, or were the Chinese cheating?

In reply to #73

04/09/2014 9:24 AM

Yes, exactly how many planes are down there? Think we are being sold a pup. Again, why are they not using stereo location to get the 'line'? Do it twice, & you have found the plane. If. or, praps we're not supposed to?

In reply to #73

04/09/2014 10:02 AM

As I understand it there is a ping sent out by both the cockpit voice recorder (which since it is a 2 hour continuous loop will probably be useless except to maybe help locate the plane) and a ping by the flight data recorder. Since both are on the same frequency and since all plane recorders use the same frequency all that is heard is a "ping" and 2 "more" simply meant that they were still hearing a transmission by one or the other of the recorders. Doesn't mean they were hearing pings from another source. The recorders continue to send out the pings at some present schedule, one a minute or whatever, until the batteries die.

In reply to #75

04/09/2014 10:37 AM

I would bet you are exactly right. Thanks for clearing that up (I would expect anyway....)

Some other people here simply cannot think for themselves....or work something simple out.

Or some see it immediately as confirmation that multiple aircraft are down there.....

I personally feel that if another one was down there, it would be in the news already....

What do the rest of you say about this news?

04/09/2014 10:30 AM

In the last press material, the search area is now down to 75,000 sq km.
There are 11 military aircraft, four civilian aircraft and 14 ships taking part in the search on Wednesday.

I must admit I am somewhat confused by the detection of the pings for periods like 7 to 10 minutes. I believe there is a ping every 1 minute. You would think that if a ping was heard, that the relative signal strength would be considered and as suggested, some stereo detection policies would be commenced. I wonder what would happen if the boat undertaking the listening was to stop if a ping was heard and make some logical moves in a range of directions to see if the signal got stronger or weakerm or the time spacing between picking up the signals got longer or shorter depending if travelling away ot towards the ping source.

Does anyone know the estimated range of one of these ping signals?
Are there fixed networks setup worldwide to monitor such events (though thankfully small in number)?

In reply to #76

04/09/2014 10:37 AM

The information about the distance pings are heard is quite confusing as no two sources coincide.

In reply to #76

04/09/2014 11:30 AM

From one of the briefings they explained that they track whether the signal gets stronger (they're getting nearer) or weaker (they're going away). They then pin down the location of the source based on a number of plots of strongest signals. Sort of like when you sweep a metal detector back and forth over the sand till you locate the point with the strongest signal.

In reply to #80

04/25/2014 4:51 AM

"From one of the briefings they explained that they track whether the signal gets stronger (they're getting nearer) or weaker (they're going away)."

How unbelievably primitive.

See post #82.

In reply to #76

04/09/2014 12:36 PM

"if a ping was heard, that the relative signal strength would be considered and as suggested, some stereo detection policies would be commenced." Say you only get one ping? If you start with an array of 3 or 4 mics in a horizontal plane, and say 1 above & 1 below, using a a six channel recording scope, you could use scope to align the start of the signal in two mics; source will be on perpendicular bisector. Mics above & below could give depth. Get another ping from a different location = MH370, and / or CIA.

04/09/2014 10:39 AM

JUST FOUND THIS:

http://mashable.com/2014/04/07/malaysia-flight-370-search-pings-whales/

PINGS MAY ALSO BE PRODUCED BY MARINE WILDLIFE !!!!!

04/09/2014 12:00 PM

Todays media material also said ....

"The analysis determined that a very stable ... signal was detected at 33.331 kHz and that it consistently pulsed," he said. "They therefore assessed that the signal was not of natural origin and was likely sourced from specific electronic equipment … consistent with a flight data recorder.

Maybe there are some very tricky whales getting their own back having been hunted for so long?

04/16/2014 10:02 PM

Good Answers: 67

04/17/2014 6:10 AM

It sure seems a bit strange that they can't find devices *designed* to be detected underwater. So what else is down there, stuff that's designed to be undetected?Things like subs, you know, boomers and stuff. 120 MIRVs a crack?

What, they've no sonar nets down there on the Indian Ocean floor, sonar nets like they've got everywhere else and have had for years? What, they can't drop sonobuoys from aircraft to listen and triangulate position, can't tell the difference between the acoustic signatures of natural and artificial sources even though they've six decades of acoustic recordings and analyses of everything larger than a piss ant? Don't have OTH radars that can identify the species of a flock of birds an ocean away but can't see a big metal airliner in their bluddy backyard? No satellites traverse the area wot can read your hat size but can't spot a plane off-course for seven hours? No military planes in that area fly MAD sensors? All this miraculous military technology that makes the world a safer place just falls flat on it's arse once it enters the Indian Ocean?

What this suggests to me is that if someone wanted to stage a massive air & seagoing invasion, the Indian Ocean is evidently the place to do it! Subs, ships, planes, you name it! Nobody will know for at least a month.

Just be sure to make plenty of noise.

Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #84

04/17/2014 6:20 AM

...expect some men in black to be snooping around you soon mate. Shhhhh!

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #85

04/17/2014 6:25 AM

I send 'em to Tom Clancy.

Guru

04/24/2014 4:55 AM

04/24/2014 5:03 AM

No sign of the manifest either. So what was onboard MH370?

In reply to #88

04/24/2014 6:27 AM

The lawyers from Malaysian are keeping it safe! :-(

In reply to #88

04/24/2014 7:54 AM

vanishing cream

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (5); Andy Germany (10); Codemaster (1); Don from Oz (14); English Rose (3); europium mkII (2); Fredski (1); IdeaSmith (1); ignator (1); JohnDG (2); Nesuar (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); passingtongreen (2); r&ddoc (19); SolarEagle (1); Spinco (5); Stuart21 (9); Wal (12); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: New Study: Every Black Hole Contains Another Universe   Next in Forum: Parachutes For Planes

Advertisement