Previous in Forum: Engineering Drawing Requirements   Next in Forum: LCD Mirror?
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Florida's Coral House: How Did He Do It?

06/12/2007 5:29 PM

http://www.coralcastle.com/home.asp

Back in the begining of the last century there was a guy in Florida who built his house out of 5 to 30 Tonne chunks of Coral. His tools were a few stone shaping tools and a pry bar or two. They do not make guys like this any more do they?

He also moved his house, how was it done

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Stone Construction
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Re: How did he do it?

06/12/2007 11:12 PM

It was LOVE- proof that no force is a stronger motivator of human will. He had no choice.

Register to Reply
Commentator
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Apple II - New Member Canada - Member - 'ssauga eh?

Good Answers: 2

Re: Florida's Coral House: How Did He Do It?

06/13/2007 9:29 AM

Patience is a very powerful tool.

If you can move a single block then moving more only requires the time and effort. Also having a lot of sand around helps a lot as well.

In reply to #2

06/13/2007 10:54 PM

But the question is: How did he move ANY 30 ton block with only simple tools?

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #3

06/13/2007 11:25 PM

This has become a real cult-thing, especially on Late Night Coast-to-Coast AM. How did he do it? Did he have powers? Had he discovered anti-gravity? Whatever.

One possibility is the estimates of the block weights are grossly exaggerated (30 tons of coral is a really really big piece of coral) and or many of these blocks may have been cast...

There's a woman that claims she's found that some of the heavier limestone blocks in the Great Pyramid were actually a very specific type of concrete that was poured rather than carried.

Who knows. Maybe OCD directed in the proper way can move mountains.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #4

06/13/2007 11:53 PM

but vermin my duct tape is made of real ducks!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/13/2007 11:56 PM

Where did you find ducks on a reel?

06/14/2007 1:06 AM

From the early shows years ago covering him and his rocks during the 30 or 40 years he was observed he never had more than one beat up old flatbed truck and the hand tools. Over that time he was never observed to possess more.

If that was indeed true, he was a very special person who just might possibly have had a gift or two, or not? Even today if people had special gifts and they were shared out in public, I just bet the old "Witch Hunts" would start all over again.

From the inhuman cruel things people still do to each other freely and happily for really far out there reasons, I might observe that the old horror show beast still lurks close below many people's skins.

I Dunknow, do You?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

06/14/2007 2:15 AM

I take it you like A Clockwork Orange...

They say when he had to move the structure, he asked the truck driver to go around the other side of his barn, so he would be out of sight. He eventually called the driver back, and the whole thing was loaded on his truck. However, these are the kind of stories that feed on themselves. I think he liked the idea of leaving this world with a mystery.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #7

06/14/2007 8:19 AM

For me the question isn't how, anybody with a good lever and time can move a lot of things. But how could he afford it?

06/14/2007 4:37 AM

Alright! I can't take the pressure any more!!! On his death bed he told me the secret!!! He bought 10,000 packets of Sea Monkeys and enlisted their help in moving the blocks!!!

There! Are you happy now?!

In reply to #9

06/14/2007 6:09 AM

I knew it! And the sea monkeys were riding on their sea horses?

In reply to #10

06/14/2007 7:07 AM

I like sea monkey boobs.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
Good Answers: 15
In reply to #11

06/14/2007 8:09 AM

As far as moving the blocks. Looking in the photo gallery he was using block and tackle to move a rather large chunk.

Just so happens I'm in the process of moving a safe out of my moms basement Weights little over 750 lbs. And I'm planning on using block an tackle to do it. Using a 6:1 advantage that would only require me to lift 125 lbs. 6:1 is easy to accomplish but I'm sure a mechanical engineer or a machinist could easily come up with more advantage system & lift much larger pieces.

I realize 9 tons would still be an accomplishment with just block & tackle. But I guess it would be possible with the right system.

Good Answers: 3

06/14/2007 8:16 AM

Coral is between 50 t0 60 pounds per cubic foot.

So, 30 tons = 60,000 pounds

60,000 pounds + 1,000 cubic feet

5 tons = 10,000 pounds

10,000 = 166 cubic feet.

I have toured the Coral Castle and as a engineer I pay attention to details.

I would estimate that the largest block I saw might have been 10' by 20' and these were at ground level.

The 5 - 30 ton claim is pure media/advertising hype.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
In reply to #13

06/14/2007 8:21 AM

I was wondering about that. Since I have some large coral pieces in my aquarium and they are extremely light.

In reply to #15

06/14/2007 8:53 AM

y'all realize that that coral was alive??? he wiped out a whole ecosystem......sad

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

06/14/2007 10:18 AM

Was this coral alive when he started building?

I doubt it. Looks like he mined it from a dry bed from the pictures I've seen.

Good Answers: 3

06/14/2007 8:52 AM

It has been said that he moved the intire site in one night without waking his neighbors.

I thnik he was an alein, maybe from Mexico, or Cuba.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/14/2007 10:19 AM

He started with small blocks and after he developed the cutting technique the ever larger pieces were cut. After all of the vertical sides were cut (the top was a natural surface) he would break the piece off at the bottom by prying it over. Then he waled it up and out by tipping it over rock fulcrums which meant his block and tackle had to work against 1/4 the stone weight. It was walked up to the fulcrum tipping height using simple levers and increasingly taller pieces inserted at the center line. Using the approach of two fulcrums on the edges moving the fulcrum in as he levered up the edge gave him the new place for a taller fulcrum and working the sides up gave him the height he needed to tip it up on end and thus walk it to anywhere. To steer it he would jack it up and place a center of mass fulcrum and the pivot the stone.

As stone goes this is easy to cut still I would like to see the technique he used to do the cutting. It looks like the task of chip removal would have been tough.

Register to Reply
Commentator

06/14/2007 2:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Also sand makes an excellent nano-scaffold

Buoyancy measurements probably will yield that dry coral, in a watertight bag, will float.

If you leave a bowl of fruit and a supplicating prayer, I will answer all questions.

In reply to #20

06/14/2007 11:38 PM

But what it really does is often not apparent.

06/15/2007 1:53 AM

Edward Leedskalnin: MAGNETIC CURRENT Part 1
Copyright © October 1945 by Edward Leedskalnin
Creator of the world renowned Coral Castle in Homestead, Florida

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This writing is lined up so when you read it you look East, and all the description you will read about magnetic current, it will be just as good for your electricity.

Following is the result of my two years experiment with magnets at Rock Gate, seventeen miles Southwest from Miami, Florida. Between Twenty-fifth and Twenty-sixth Latitude and Eightieth and Eighty-first Longitude West.

First I will describe what a magnet is. You have seen straight bar magnets, U shape magnets, sphere or ball magnets and Alnico magnets in many shapes, and usually a hole in the middle.

In all magnets one end of the metal is North Pole and the other South Pole, and those which have no end one side is North Pole and the other South Pole.

Now about the sphere magnet. if you have a strong magnet you can change the poles in the sphere in any side you want or take the poles out so the sphere will not be a magnet any more. From this you can see that the magnet can be shifted and concentrated and also you can see that the metal is not the real magnet. The real magnet is the substance that is circulating in the metal.

Each particle in the substance is an individual magnet by itself, and both North and South Pole individual magnets. They are so small that they can pass through anything.. In fact they can pass through metal easier than through the air. They are in constant motion, they are running one kind of magnets against the other kind, and if guided in the right channels they possess perpetual power.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 22 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); ca1ic0cat (1); CurieFury (1); Davo (1); dbdwoods (1); Dr.Tom (1); hioptemp (1); jrpeck (1); madscientist (1); Mevel123 (1); prbarry (1); reefdiver (1); scotchdrnkr (3); thrudd (1); vermin (5); whalespit (1)

Previous in Forum: Engineering Drawing Requirements   Next in Forum: LCD Mirror?

Advertisement