Previous in Forum: Creep Analysis   Next in Forum: Risks Of Canned Motor Pumps With Molten Sulfur
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

How Do I Design And Calculate The Stress Of My C-Channel

03/27/2014 12:29 AM

I have a weight of 6,000kg to be lifted by a c-channel (6mmT x 65mmH x 125mmW) with length of 2m. As I calculated, the c-channel weight will be 22kg. The c-channel yield strength=248MPa, Ultimate tensile strength=841MPa. The c-channel then is lifted by a crane of 10,000kg using sling (T1 and T2 with weight 3,000kg each).

This might be a stupid statement/question. With a 22kg of c-channel, it is so sure cannot lift the 6,000kg. That means, I have to design a c-channel of 6,000kg?

However, how do I calculate the stress of the c-channel of how much it can withstand? Will it bend? Will it break?

Any suggestions is highly recommended.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

Re: How do I design and calculate the stress of my c-channel

03/27/2014 12:42 AM

Good Answers: 107

03/27/2014 1:09 AM

Master, if your reasoning was correct your slings would have to weigh at least 3000 kg in order to lift the 6000 kg weight.

Logically the C Channel has to be designed for the set load and not having the same weight. If it was you would need a crane for 12000 kg lift.

You need to design a channel FOR 6000 kg load.

Look at your vectors and forces and I am sure you can come up with some ideas how to calculate the loads on your channel!

Guru

Good Answers: 182

03/27/2014 5:19 AM

Your assumption is WRONG: in the cable the loads are NOT 3000 BUT 6000! You neglected the angular effect of the 30°

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 131
In reply to #3

03/27/2014 7:28 AM

Yes, and the compression force in the C-channel = 6000*cos 30° = 5200 kg = 51000 N. The C-channel has to take that, also taking buckling into account. (that's for the OP, not for you )

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #4

03/28/2014 7:49 AM

My thoughts exactly. I voted/rated your post good.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 114

03/27/2014 8:31 AM

The channel has to take the axial load, plus the bending moment from the eccentricity of the connections.

The channel is one of the worst shapes for this job.

Good Answers: 1666

Re: How Do I Design And Calculate The Stress Of My C-Channel

03/27/2014 9:42 AM

Please do not try to do this yourself. You don't know how.

Simply call a metals supplier and ask their engineer, or hire an engineer to SELECT, not design, a channel for you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

03/27/2014 1:06 PM

Kudos for knowing your limitations but filling in what you do not know by asking a public forum is wrong. On the other hand, we do clearly explain your assumption and we could then correct those assumptions. So you do have the potential to eventually get it right but not now.

Safely moving things with a crane requires proper training and certification. Your two dimensional drawing does not take at all into account that we exist in a three dimensional world. The mass of all parts including the spreader bar and the lifting base must be included in the analysis. There is also no identification of the center of mass of any part, let alone the entire body to be lifted.

Oh, since when is kilograms a unit of force? With the sparse information provided, I calculate that each strap will be under tension of 60.8 N to just be in stasis. The lifting acceleration will add additional loads.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

03/27/2014 8:02 PM

Stop. Pick up the phone and discuss the lift with several crane hire companies, who will be pleased to quote to carry out the lift using tested and certified lifting equipment, including the correct spreader beam for the job.

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #8

03/27/2014 11:50 PM

Exactly!

It's a spreader, and unless that load is a 6T 2 dimensional object then you will need at least 2 of them and they will need to be spread as well.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #9

03/31/2014 6:58 AM

Quite. The drawing shows a 6000kg object held up by only two lifting points. Unless it is infinitesimably thin, and therefore unknowingly dense, it will only be metastable as drawn and the slightest breath of wind will cause it to flip over. Also, the tensile stresses in the members between the spreader beam and the hook point are incorrect.

One hopes that all other CR4 readers are standing well back when the lift begins...

Good Answers: 25

03/28/2014 7:07 AM

Why you want to use 'C' Channel?. There are many alternatives readily available in market:-

1. Link Chain sling with 4 legs and 'O' ring at top.

2. Wire Rope Sling.

3. Nylon Web slings.

4. Lifting Beams. etc.

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20

03/28/2014 9:14 AM

A simple job for a structural engineer, if you aren't one, get one.

allowable stress= Mc/I + TR/J + P/A

for lifting devices I use a factor of safety of 5:1

Rather than risk injuring(or worse) anyone, hire a consultant to design your spreader beam, or leave it to the crane rental company who will be doing the lift. They usually have quite a selection of spreader beams in their arsenal to choose from and good ones have engineers or technical people on staff who can do the calc's for you. If you aren't hiring an outside crane, refer to my first sentence.

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #12

03/28/2014 9:16 AM

And I forget that the same goes for calculating deflections, etc., of the structural section the will be used.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 2

03/28/2014 3:43 PM

No one called student on this one?

This is somewhere in Strength of Materials, late in Statics.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940
In reply to #14

03/28/2014 9:31 PM

It might fit somewhere in the student distribution.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (1); IdeaSmith (1); Kevin LaPaire (2); Lab Rat (1); lyn (1); Mechanicalmark (1); nick name (1); passingtongreen (1); PWSlack (2); redfred (2); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Creep Analysis   Next in Forum: Risks Of Canned Motor Pumps With Molten Sulfur

Advertisement