Previous in Forum: Good Vertical CNC Machine Under 5k?   Next in Forum: Travel Back in Time to Industrial Revolution Era Factory
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Active Contributor

WPS Requirements

03/31/2014 6:58 AM

We are to build crude oil storage tank for one our client to API 620 standard.

1. Plate materials is SA-36. PLATE material thickness are: a) 11 mm, 19mm and 25mm. WHAT kind of filler metal spec/class is required for this kind of material?
  2. Do we need to carry-out preheating or stress relieving on the as-welded product?
  3. which welding code is appropriate for this kind of material welding?
  4. Can someone also help me with WPS Format for the right welding process? Thanks all for your contribution ahead.
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: WPS requirements

03/31/2014 7:04 AM

Why did the undefined "we" bid for the work if the undefined "we" doesn't know how to carry it out?!

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26

Re: WPS requirements

03/31/2014 7:59 AM

If you do not know these factors you should not be doing this.

Good Answers: 1662

Re: WPS Requirements

03/31/2014 9:11 AM

And "crude" is an understatement for your level of knowledge, as well.

Find a different, less demanding line of work.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #3

03/31/2014 10:21 AM

Find a different, less demanding line of work.

I hear there are excellent opportunites in the fast food establishments!

Good Answers: 206

03/31/2014 9:23 AM

how did you ever win this contract when you're clueless on the subject?

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

03/31/2014 2:33 PM

Hire a consultant to advise you on what you don't understand, that way the chances of people being killed will be greatly reduced.

Good Answers: 102

04/01/2014 12:43 AM

API 620 will refer you to other applicable standards.

Read every word.

Do more research. Google is a huge library.

Some have been a bit tough with you. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to grow and it sounds like you want to do the job right but just need to know exactly what to do.

I'm hoping you have a competent team who will follow the WPSs that you write for this project to the letter.

Good Luck.

Power-User

Good Answers: 4

04/01/2014 1:07 AM

SA 36 is P no 1 material as per ASME section IX table QW/QB . For SMAW 7018 electrode may be used. For gas shielded arc welding ER70S-2 filler may be used. Since carbon content is less than 0.3% , preheat temperature will be 10 degree C. For 11mm size , post weld heat treatment is not required . It is required for 19 and 25 mm. ASME section IX and IIP-C are the relevant ASME codes for welding. Format for WPS is given in ASME section IX QW-482.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #8

04/01/2014 1:47 AM

GA, but....is 10°C preheat right? It's 30°C++ where I'm sitting right now.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #9

04/01/2014 1:57 PM

That is the minimum metal temperature for that material while welding is being done to it.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #9

04/01/2014 10:52 PM
  1. Plate materials is SA-36. PLATE material thickness are: a) 11 mm, 19mm and 25mm. WHAT kind of filler metal spec/class is required for this kind of material?

a. For SA 36, material, 11 & 19 mm thick. use of SFA 5.1 E 6013 is OK. For 25mm thick also E 6013 can be used with a pre heat of 75 to 100 0 C, Otherwise E 7018 can be used (without pre heat) and if the assembly is under load. (check the design). For TIG process, SFA. 5.18 ER 70 S-2 will do for all the sizes.

2. Do we need to carry-out preheating or stress relieving on the as-welded product?

a. SR is not required, for 11 & 19 mm thick. and also for 25 mm thick. if the assembly is under static and dynamic load, SR at 625 0 C and with I hour soaking time for 25 mm thick will do. Pl. check the design.

3. which welding code is appropriate for this kind of material welding?

a. Sec. IX of ASME (or) AWS D 1.1 (either one) could be used.

1. Can someone also help me with WPS Format for the right welding process? Thanks all for your contribution ahead.

a. WPS, PQR & WPQ formats can be selected from both above code books. U have not mentioned the welding process (es) to be used for your job. Down load the formats, trim it as per the process needs. It is easy, if you work on it.

Sridhar.

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #8

04/04/2014 9:46 AM

What about SAW or FCAW?

Register to Reply
Commentator

04/01/2014 10:48 AM

Hello everybody:

I am agree with all the answers. But, of the ASME Section VIII Division 1-2010 B & PV Code, can you IRSHAD (or any of the fellow of the Forum) comment about the Notes (2) (a), (b) and (c) of the Table UCS-56 "Postweld Heat Treatment Requirements for Carbon and Low Alloy Steels"?

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

04/01/2014 3:24 PM

Is this the first large storage tank that and your organization have ever built ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

04/01/2014 8:09 PM

So what if it is?

Haven't you ever done anything for the first time and succeeded?

In reply to #13

04/01/2014 8:22 PM

I was born.

I think that was successful.

But, if I were being PAID to build a tank of obviously very large capacity, I'd think that my customer would expect me to have at least an inkling of how to go about it.

Even if it were the first time, I'd think you would owe it to your client to NOT ASK TOTAL STRANGERS about how to do it.

I could never take on a project and go on-line for free advice on what the procedure and specification should be. Only an unethical person would take money under the guise of being able to perform the contracted task when not knowing the process and procedures.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #14

04/01/2014 9:14 PM

"Inkling" is there.

One would like to think that CR4, the "total strangers", is not the only source of advice. Most of the advice here has been where to find credible info.

Only an unethical person..... There is no mention that money has been handed over yet.

Your successful birth is noted. Are there any other first time successes you would like to share?

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #15

04/01/2014 11:33 PM

There is no mention that money has been handed over yet

From the original post, first line.....

We are to build crude oil storage tank for one our client

Sounds like they are being paid for work they want us to do for them.

It is common for consultants to ask others for advice that they then charge the customer for (it happens on CR4 and depending on the request we help where we can), but this case here is different (and potentially very dangerous) due to what is being asked, hence the responses.

:(

In reply to #17

04/02/2014 12:27 AM

Such pessimism.

I interpret that as the OP has been approached by a client for a quotation to build the tank.

He is performing due diligence and research to be sure of exactly what it is he is putting his neck out for before committing to a price.

Doing your homework before quoting is just prudent not unethical.

OP has received lots of useful guidance out of this. The rest is up to him.

In reply to #18

04/02/2014 9:33 AM

You are delusional:

"We are to build crude oil storage tank for one our client"

Guru

In reply to #18

04/02/2014 2:27 PM

Some questions asked on CR4 are very black (inappropriate) or white (acceptable) while others are more grey.

If this was a medical forum and the questions were on how to perform an operation on a patient would you also be saying the same thing?

In reply to #20

04/02/2014 7:54 PM

I'm not a meat-smith and this is an engineering forum.

I would like to think that surgeons do discuss procedures amongst themselves before going in with the chainsaw.

In reply to #21

04/02/2014 8:58 PM

Have a look at the previous posts by peter.iyere and his (non-existent by the way)company website and come to your own conclusions regarding if he should be performing such work.

We can only work with what we have been provided and our own experience and instinct. If some of us here think the person asking the questions is not qualified to perform such work we are ethically bound (as Engineers) to offer our opinion and say so. If peter.iyere can offer more information or proof to change our minds then so be it and our answers may change.

Better safe than sorry.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #22

04/04/2014 3:35 PM

Again........ Peter....

Is this the first tank of this size that you or your organization have ever built ?

Are you getting paid to perform either the design work or the actual tank construction ?

Do you have or have you developed WPS for other materials ?

Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); ELEMAN (1); Fredski (1); IRSHAD (1); jack of all trades (4); lyn (3); Mechanicalmark (1); PWSlack (1); SRIDHAR (1); texasron (2); Wal (6); Whitephone (1)

Previous in Forum: Good Vertical CNC Machine Under 5k?   Next in Forum: Travel Back in Time to Industrial Revolution Era Factory

Advertisement