Previous in Forum: How Do you Read Codes and Standards ?   Next in Forum: Restrictor Valves and Expansion Valves in Air Conditioners
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Agricultural Engineering - Agricultural Mechanization Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Translator Technical Fields - Education - Fluid Power Uruguay - Member - Born and raised.

Good Answers: 3

Design of an airpump

06/25/2007 11:43 AM

An airpump is the good old windmill used to extract water.

I am trying to make some improvements on the design but I am lacking much information about the standard specifications. I have a windmill on the garage which I have measured as much as possible without tearing it to pieces.

The fundamental question is:
How relates the velocity of the wind to the rotational speed of the turbine (aka. the fan )?

I have already asked to the manufacturer from whom I bought the airpump and they have no idea. It is not a surprise, as the design of the airpump has just been copied over and over for decades without any questioning by every manufacturer in the market.

Tell me, have you got at hand any experimental study of an airpump (windmill)?

How may I, at least, get an approximated value of the efficience of the turbine?

Feel free to send me any information remotely related.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 97

Re: Design of an airpump

06/25/2007 5:47 PM

Try www.southx.co.za they have some technical & mechanical info.

06/26/2007 12:35 AM

HI Try www.awea.com or the American wind energy association the .com may be a .org.

you should find links to almost everything you need there ., answer to question

The power produced by the turbine versus the speed of the wind also has some basis in air density which from my experience in the wind industry is normally a static generalized number after that you need velocity, Swept area and pitch of the given rotor also number of blades plays and important part as well then you must move on to the method of drive after the rotor is it direct drive , Gear reduction or belt/chain variable speed pulleys etc or hydraulic. Given my experience on the larger turbines IE 600kw to 1mw wind units the reduction is usually 75.1:1 or 80:1 withe the output running 1806 rpm and the input around 25 rpm at 15ms wind speed of course this is given that you have a variable pitch turbine that can compensate for higher or lower wind speeds in order to maintain it's output power . This probably did not help much as far as an answer but hopefully it gives you some more information to work off of again best place to look is the American Wind Energy Association home page they can point you were you need to go.

Kelly R. Bartholomew

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

06/26/2007 7:23 PM

You will need to double check this, but my recollection is that the wind power varies as the cube of wind velocity. So if the wind speed doubles the output power will be 8 times greater, and if the wind speed halves, it will be 1/8 the power.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: How Do you Read Codes and Standards ?   Next in Forum: Restrictor Valves and Expansion Valves in Air Conditioners

Advertisement