Previous in Forum: 95 Model Toyota Camry Transmission Problem   Next in Forum: Tiny Yet Mighty Engine of the Future has Many Uses
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

Transmission

06/09/2014 11:40 PM

I have a E270 CDI year 2000 just hopped into the car and it takes off in top gear transmission not engaging .......any advice as to what it could be? ....Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: transmission

06/09/2014 11:47 PM

It's probably the transmission.

Do you have any more information?

Miles/trouble codes/other problems/ fluid level;color;smell/TCM/PCM/TPS, other electronic controls.....................................

Not much we can do with "takes off in Hi"

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

06/10/2014 2:45 AM

The car was fine when I last drove it 5 days ago ,could it be because lack of use { driving } I just got back into it and now it seems ok ......Would that mean transmission oil is low ....it says in my book to take to merc dealer to check oil level .Seems ridiculous that you cant check it yourself as I cant even find where it is on the car ???

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

06/10/2014 2:46 AM

Yes. It's a failure to take it to a workshop and have it corrected by someone who knows what they are doing.

Another failure is that of not listing it on an internet auction site and having someone exchange it for some money a few days later and take the problem away.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #3

06/10/2014 10:36 AM

I get the feeling the second failure you mention may not have remained undone. We might be talking to the person who paid money to take the problem, unwittingly, away.

06/10/2014 4:07 AM

Did it have problems with the transmission when you bought it, or did these just begin?

Mercedes like this from 2000 - 2004 had original radiators that were prone to failure. The first indication of failure was often poor shifting, because of radiator fluid contaminating the transmission fluid.

If you are not certain this problem did not exist when you bought it, or if you cannot verify that the original radiator has not already been replaced, chance are you have some expensive repairs coming that will include at least the radiator and some major transmission parts.

This was a very easy thing to find, but I'm not chastising you for not Googling it before asking here... that is the noteworthy error.

Your mistake was not knowing this before buying this car. The time to do your homework is before you buy a used car. The decision of which type of car you want should not be made while you are gazing fondly at it and imagining how good you might look driving it. You should have known about this problem before you test drove this car. On that point, I am chastising you.

In reply to #4

06/10/2014 6:00 AM

The problem only happened today for the first time ,prior to this it has been working perfectly .As I said after I got back in the car to check it a second time the transmission worked properly again .....I am worried about driving it now incase I do some major damage

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #5

06/10/2014 8:28 AM

Is there a breakers within 5 miles?

In reply to #5

06/10/2014 10:33 AM

So has the radiator been replaced? or is the original radiator still installed?

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93

Re: Transmission

06/10/2014 8:09 AM

This could just be transmission fluid levels but a quick Google reveals that the car is not supplied with an auto box dip stick as standard as the Merc dealer connects the car to an automatic system to drain & re-fill the gearbox. You can buy a dip stick from the dealer.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

06/11/2014 2:22 AM

Some (maybe all?) Mercedes gearboxes need a mechanical or electronic "Ctl-Alt_Del" from time to time, strange but true.

Assuming that fluids are good etc., check these as a first priority, then find out just how the reset is made, maybe from the internet. ....Like this:-

Resetting a Mercedes Automatic Gearbox.

There are many different YouTube videos for different models of Mercedes gearboxes, I hope at least one of them can help you further.

As someone else already said, when buying any(thing!) car, new or secondhand, you need to do your homework first. It takes me 2-4 weeks to get that part done, maybe I am a bit slow though!! Excel is my right hand in such matters.....

I hope this helps, let us know....

Good Answers: 53

06/13/2014 11:51 PM

If you just bought a 14 year old Merc, you're asking for trouble. I own two old Mercs and they're in the shop a bit too often. To compensate for the large repair bills, they are not driven very often. In fact, I sometimes wonder why I still own them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your transmission problem will get worse. Whenever buying a used car, you have to ask the question: Why would someone get rid of a perfectly good car? If it's because they are at the end of a closed end lease, you're okay - they must get rid of the car. If there was a change in their family (got married, another kid, kids getting bigger, divorce, kids going to college, injured leg (can't drive a stick anymore or can't get in or out of the car), etc.

I'd say that 90% of the people getting rid of a used car are doing so, because they know something is wrong or their mechanic told them a problem is right around the corner.

Good luck!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Autobroker (1); lyn (1); Nigh (1); PWSlack (2); rambling (2); truth is not a compromise (3)

Previous in Forum: 95 Model Toyota Camry Transmission Problem   Next in Forum: Tiny Yet Mighty Engine of the Future has Many Uses

Advertisement