Previous in Forum: Neutral Grounding-SDS for Standby Generator   Next in Forum: Neutral Grounding of Standby Generator
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Capacitor Testing

06/21/2014 12:25 PM

Sir,

Please let me know How to test the capacitors of a capacitor panel.(1KVAr,5KVAr,20KVAr)

Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: capacitor
User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Re: capacitors

06/21/2014 12:41 PM

Easy. Pick up the phone and ring the capacitors' supplier.

Good Answers: 1662

06/21/2014 4:02 PM

Discharge the entire panel. Disconnect each capacitor. Recharge each one and then short the leads. If you get a spark, it's good. No spark, no good.

Replace defective caps, reconnect, re-energize.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180
In reply to #2

06/22/2014 7:36 AM

If you want to do it that way, give me chance to get clear.

Last time I had a PFC panel go wrong it blew the end caps off two 200A HRC fuses. I wanted to be 110% certain it was OK before I switched it back in to service.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

06/21/2014 5:39 PM

The newest nominee for the Darwin's Awards

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

06/22/2014 9:31 AM

I agree wholeheartedly.

I think as far as electrical systems go this photograph sums it up:

..........so if you know nothing about it, leave it alone and get a qualified person to look at!!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

06/21/2014 5:40 PM

This could be potentially dangerous if the person asking doesn't know.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #4

06/21/2014 7:23 PM

That's why I nominated them for Darwin's award!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937

06/21/2014 10:17 PM

Really. Anyone incapable of searching for a tool to measure a parameter should not ever attempt to measure that parameter. At the same time I must honor your recognition of ignorance, particularly when you presumably also recognize the dangers of a novice working outside of their competence.

Without knowing one iota of information about how these capacitors are used, I cannot help. A true, "ideal" capacitor will only need one metric to describe it, the capacitance value. Unfortunately, ideal capacitors do not exist in our real world. Most of the time a good electrical engineer will specify one of a variety of real world capacitors so that the parasitic, "non-ideal" attributes of a real capacitor will not matter in the actual circuit that it will be used.

To be brief, ask the designer how to test these capacitors or come back to us only with an understanding of the difference between ideal and real capacitors. If you come back to us, be prepared to explain how these capacitors will be used.

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #6

06/22/2014 2:13 AM

We have at least one iota.

OP's kVAr figures suggest that these are in a power factor correction application.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

06/22/2014 11:57 AM

Sorry but you cannot say you know something and then say that information is suggested. Your only lying to yourself.

Good Answers: 102

06/22/2014 2:33 AM

Test them very carefully after first disconnecting them with even more care.

Prior to that take extra care to short them to make sure they are fully discharged.

Now, before you do any of the above, apply extra extra care that your PFC panel is totally disassociated from any external energy sources and that you have very carefully placed the lock out key(s) in your pocket.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444
In reply to #8

06/22/2014 11:17 AM

Sorry to say but that's not a "good" answer, it's an irresponsible one, as are all those giving any kind of instructions to assist in this lunacy. Clearly this Darwin Award nominee is clueless about what he is trying to do and faces the real possibility of electrocution or serious physical injury.

In reality throwing a solid short on a fully charged 20kVAR capacitor is not a test of anything but the potential destructive capacity of the ensuing arcflash. Shunt capacitors need to be tested for voltage withstand, capacity, dielectric strength, etc., just like any other piece of equipment to be sure that they are fit for the duty that they will be exposed to.

In reply to #11

06/22/2014 11:53 AM

Yes! Safe discharging of a capacitor requires a circuit that can withstand the release of the maximum amount of Joules of energy the capacitor might hold. Far too many laymen think that the shorting sticks used on a capacitor bank discharge the capacitors. They do not! The shorting sticks prevent static charge from recharging the capacitors. Shorting out a charged capacitor can be lethal to the one holding the stick.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Crabtree (1); dj95401 (2); lyn (1); MOBI (1); RAMConsult (1); redfred (3); ronseto (1); TonyS (1); Wal (2)

Previous in Forum: Neutral Grounding-SDS for Standby Generator   Next in Forum: Neutral Grounding of Standby Generator

Advertisement