Previous in Forum: How To Improvise Or Install Load Monitoring In A Crane   Next in Forum: Frequent Toggle Locking Problem in Injection Molding Machine Chenpet 83
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Solenoid Valves

07/08/2014 9:43 AM

Hello,

I have a question about solenoid valves. Basically, there is gas system that has old solenoid valve that requires replacement. The manufacturer has discontinued the product.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Asco-RedHat-8262G208-24V-1-4-Normally-Closed-Solenoid-Valve-72-CV-24v

But, it says that there is direct replacement

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Asco-RedHat-8262H208-1-4-Normally-Closed-Solenoid-Valve-73-CV-120v

The thing thar bothers me is that there are slight difference. The old solenoid had 0.72 CV and the new one 0.73 CV.

1) What difference would it do on operation of the valve?

2) Also, how often solenoid valves should be replaced? If you provide some academic article will be great.

Thank you

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Solenoid Valves

07/08/2014 9:54 AM

1. None.

2. When they fail. Ask the manufacturer about life expectancy.

Academic articles can be found by searching for them.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

07/08/2014 10:21 AM

Beware the link you provided is not the direct replacement. It's listed as having a 120 volt coil.

07/08/2014 10:28 AM

Thank you for your help.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

07/08/2014 12:03 PM

As ozzb said you have 120V in the second link, but following the first you can see listed the 24V replacement. (basically change the "G" to an "H" in the model number) I also notice the body is formed a bit different, so you may have a plumbing fit up problem if the inlet/outlet are a bit differently spaced from the old model to the new one.

If you get the new 24V model, the solenoid will work the same, but will it fit the same?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

07/08/2014 3:03 PM

The fraction of on time will now be 72/73 of before, which almost certainly will not be noticed.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #5

07/09/2014 1:23 PM

I think you're wrong. The last 2 valve courses I've taken say that Cv is a flow factor constant particular to a valve design that is used to calculate flow rate through a valve - not on/off cycles.Thus the flow rate will be very incrementally increased.

Good Answers: 2

07/09/2014 1:17 PM

>how often solenoid valves should be replaced?

Since you asked the question, I have to assume that you are not in an industry that replaces components on the basis of accumulated run-hours (like aircraft). Outside of those segments, solenoid valves are only replaced when they fail and repair is more costly than replacement.

ASCO's red hat series is known for its easily replaceable electrical coil assemblies. Gasket and diaphragm kits are available for those who want replace these components. I suspect that a replacement coil and parts are still available for your 'obsolete' model.

Academics concern themselves with life span of solenoid valves, because no government agency will fund them to write on such topics.

But manufacturers publish statements like, "designed for quiet operation and long life, up to 20 million cycles, in dry air or gas applications."

The reality number that I usually hear is 250,000 cycles, but it all depends on the service - ambient temperature, fluid temp, vibration, etc.

In reply to #6

07/09/2014 1:40 PM

Thank you, for your answer.

The solenoid valve is used for cover gas system which supplied to welding torch (GMAW). This is automatic welding for welding special containers. There is preventative maintenance program at my company that requires replacement for these solenoids every year. The maintain group claims that it should be changed every 5 year. As an engineer I need to provide justification for this change. Since, I am junior engineer:), wanted to ask experts what will be good time frame for replacement of these solenoids.

Could you please explain more about more life expectancy in terms of cycles?

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

lyn (1); MagicWand (1); ozzb (1); Phys (2); Sonic (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: How To Improvise Or Install Load Monitoring In A Crane   Next in Forum: Frequent Toggle Locking Problem in Injection Molding Machine Chenpet 83

Advertisement