Previous in Forum: Eucalyptus Oil Bath Stain!!! HELP!   Next in Forum: Turbine Gland Condensor Vacuum Not Pulling
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Active Contributor

CO2 and Argon

08/02/2014 5:12 PM

Hi,

I like to get some professional info on how to mix argon and co2 for metal welding of Torque Converter. Should I have mix them myself by using a regulator for each ?

Or are they sold in one bottle according to customer's demand ?

excuse my poor info in this field.Can anyone help please...thanks in advance for any support or detailed info you offer.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: co2 and argon

08/02/2014 5:21 PM

"Or are they sold in one bottle according to customer's demand ?"

You can buy cylinders with Argon/CO2, Argon Helium, etc.

I'd not bother with the expense of two Tanks/regulators/hoses, etc.

What part of the torque converters are you welding.

Ask your welding gas supplier. They are very helpful if you admit that you are new and want to learn.

Shielding gas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

08/03/2014 9:40 AM

we are welding the two halves ( the impeller and the front cover ) after machinig them professionally together, on a welding machine bought from china.thanks for your care.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 252
In reply to #6

08/03/2014 10:29 PM

Now that is a handy bit of information that should have been included with your original post.

Your original post led everyone to believe that you were an amateur that knew nothing about welding, and were trying to do some ad-hoc engineering,and possibly creating a dangerous situation.

It will behoove you to furnish all relevant information when you desire an informed answer to a problem or question in the future.

Good luck and best wishes.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #8

08/03/2014 11:11 PM

Well, we have a grammatical dilemma here.

There are two ways to interpret, "we are welding the two halves ( the impeller and the front cover ) after machinig them professionally together"

One: we are welding the two halves together ( the impeller and the front cover ) after machinig them professionally together meaning they were machined professionally but will be welded by a machine that they may not know how to use.

Or: we are welding the two halves ( the impeller and the front cover ) together professionally, after machinig.

Either way, the implication is OP doesn't know about shielding gas.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

08/04/2014 8:45 AM

This information is not revealed until post#6.

The original post Implies that the OP knows nothing about welding gasses,or welding at all.

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #12

08/04/2014 11:12 AM

Argon (+) CO2 gas is available as a blend in following ratios.

1. argon (+) 5 % CO2 mixture.

2. argon (+) 10 % CO2 mixture.

3. argon (+) 20 % CO2 mixture.

4. argon (+) 25 % CO2 mixture.

All above can be used with ER 70 S-6 wire on MS & CS base metals.

Each combination has it's advantages. In general type 2 & 3 are very easily

available and popular.

Hope above info. will help u to decode ur requirement.

sridhar.

In reply to #13

08/04/2014 1:28 PM

I do not have a requirement.The Original Poster has a requirement.

In reply to #13

08/04/2014 3:54 PM

I am so grateful for Your advices and recommendation .

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

08/03/2014 9:43 AM

I do esteem your reply and kind support.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

08/02/2014 5:56 PM

Contact a welding gas supplier for an Argon and CO2 mixture. This is a mixture normally used for MIG welding. If they can't supply the mixture you want, contact a compressed gas supplier. If they don't stock it they will make about any mixture of most gasses that you could ever want. Someone like Matheson, Praxair, Airgas, and many others could help you. These are the people who also make custom gas mixtures for the semiconductor manufacturers among others. Google "custom compressed gas suppliers" for sources.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #2

08/03/2014 9:12 AM

You helped me by your fruitful details and sincere support.thanks a lot.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

08/04/2014 4:31 PM

I do esteem your explanation and helpful ideas. Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92

08/02/2014 10:47 PM

Not meaning to be pedantic, but if you don't already know this much about welding why are you thinking of working on a critical part such as a torque converter??

Now in answer to your question- we don't know where in the world you are, but here in Canada we normally buy a premixed cylinder that is spec'd for the type of welding you want to do (eg. c-25, a 25% CO2 blend). By trying to blend gases yourself you are adding another variable to your welding experience that may improve it, but is far more likely to detract. Ask your local gas supplier for details and recommendations- far better than an online forum.

Guru

08/03/2014 5:31 AM

Your lack of experience and knowledge of welding is apparent.

Why not hire a professional to do the job?

He will probably advise against welding it.

You will have to remove the torque converter again if your weld fails, (which it probably will),and the converter may in fact not be repairable.

Welding on the converter could also be dangerous if it fails at a high speed,with shrapnel going everywhere,including through the floor of the vehicle.

I've seen it happen on amateur street race cars ,and this happened on new converters.

My advice is:Save your legs, replace the converter,forget about welding it.

United States - Member - Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 50

Re: CO2 and Argon

08/03/2014 11:07 PM

Are you remanufacturing torque converters and are you welding them back together with an automatic or semi-automatic torque converter welding setup, or a standard wire fed MIG hand held welder? Unless you use specialized equipment designed specifically for welding the converter back together, this can be a real can of worms.

In reply to #9

08/04/2014 4:26 PM

I can share your opinion and info.you are right.I wasn't enough clear in detailing my question.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #9

08/04/2014 4:37 PM

We actuallly specialized equipment designed specifically for welding the converter back together,

thanks for drawing my attention and for your helful advice.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

08/04/2014 6:04 PM

If you are using specialized equipment for the job,surely the operators manual specifies the type of gas mixture required for the equipment to perform the job properly.

What mixture of CO2 and Halon did the manual specifiy?

Which begs the question:

Why ask for the opinion of an unknown group of people,and ask it in a very vague manner, leaving out valuable details and information required to reply in a helpful way?

Good Answers: 31

08/04/2014 7:36 AM

Mixed gasses are stock items and your welding supply sales person has access to the information to make your life easier. I have used straight argon, argon co2 mix but always with the help of the professionals and in welding preparation and cleaning of the material to be welded is about 70-90% of your success. The welding wire should be matched to the job as well as the amperage and voltage coupled with the speed of welding. It should work out if you are prepared to work with the professionals

In reply to #11

08/04/2014 3:46 PM

you are typically right in what you describe.I do esteem your helpful advices.Thanks again.

Active Contributor

In reply to #11

08/05/2014 1:36 PM

You are a rare typical person, helpful and respectful.your explanations are so fruitful and practical and helped me well. Thanks for your high spirit.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20

08/05/2014 8:59 AM

You can get them premixed in bottles. I use a 92/8 mixture as my sheilding gas for welding applications in my shop. I used to have bulk tanks of each and a mixer and pipelines throughout the shop, but my use has been reduced, so now I am back on individual bottles. Should be readily available from any welding supply house in a variety of mixed percentages.

In reply to #21

08/06/2014 4:43 PM

Thanks for your kind and helpful advices.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 23 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dmcionline (10); HiTekRedNek (5); JNB (1); Kevin LaPaire (1); lyn (2); old salt (1); roy hammy (1); SRIDHAR (1); standarded (1)

Previous in Forum: Eucalyptus Oil Bath Stain!!! HELP!   Next in Forum: Turbine Gland Condensor Vacuum Not Pulling

Advertisement