Previous in Forum: Boiler Drum Water pH and Boiler Feed Water pH   Next in Forum: Electrode Sensor
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

Lubricant

10/17/2014 10:05 PM

hellow there

i would like to ask about lubrication. how to choose proper oil viscosity (ISO standard) on bearing, gear and hydraulic ? does anyone have table or chart i can use as refference ?

thank you

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1683

Re: lubricant

10/17/2014 11:12 PM

You should consult the operators/owners/equipment manual/s for the equipment/s you have.

If the equipment is under warranty, it may matter.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

10/17/2014 11:25 PM

for a new installed machine yeah sure there is recommendation from OEM. i need this for general machinery

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1683
In reply to #2

10/17/2014 11:35 PM

I am appalled that you would go to an anonymous forum for technical advice on lubrication of undefined rotating equipment.

Go with the website SE posted.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 203
In reply to #2

10/17/2014 11:40 PM

There is no such thing as "general machinery". Each unit should be lubricated with the manufacturer's specified lube. Some machinery will not tolerate anything but the specified lube. To use others could shorten the life of the machine, seize bearings, gear boxes, solidify, lower/raise the viscosity, etc. Just something as small as using a regular grease instead of an extreme pressure grease can greatly shorten the life of some machines. A cheaper lube usually leads to more repair and maintenance with the end result of more money having to be spent. Cheap is a false economic thing.

http://www.plantengineering.com/single-article/identify-three-key-elements-in-selecting-lubrication/02fe645d569c3b282d8a5e4fe27bafc6.html

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #4

10/18/2014 3:58 AM

i m glad to hear all of your responses, it help me a lot. what i m trying to say is i wanna have a guidance or something you could name as refference in emergency time if by one condition i can't find spesific and certain lubricant. offcourse using non proper lubricants will shorten machine life but i m in the middle of factory production target and machine continous operation

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #5

10/18/2014 9:17 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #5

10/18/2014 11:01 PM

A general lube works works great ............... as a last resort to OEM recommendations but rest assured continued use of other than recommended lube will result in that emergency your trying to avoid in the middle of your production run.

If you don't have the OEM recommended lubes before starting your production run, then you are destined for disaster before you push the start button at the beginning of your production run.

You get what you paid for, go cheap and .......

Good Answers: 206

10/18/2014 8:14 AM

the General lee is machinery

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

10/19/2014 12:59 AM

must follow the OEM recommendations and can be used the equivalent if the recommended lubricant is not available .

Good Answers: 2

10/19/2014 8:19 AM

Keep in mind that you are trying to keep an oil film between metal parts, otherwise they will scrape together and heat up and get damaged.

The oil companies, BP, Shell, study these things taking account of temperature and the force between the mechanical components. So in general components with heavy loading points like gears have heavier oil, fast sliding parts with light mechanical loading like a sewing machine have a lighter oil, parts which get hot have an oil which is correct at the working temperature such as in a car engine.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 10

Re: Lubricant

10/20/2014 4:06 PM

If don't move but is supposed to move- WD-40. If it moves but ain't supposed to, duct tape. - JHF (As good an answer as question since a comprehensive chart or table would be rather vary lengthy)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bolang (2); Circuit Breaker (1); dj95401 (1); engineertony (1); Fredski (1); lyn (2); old salt (1); sohail0110 (1)

Previous in Forum: Boiler Drum Water pH and Boiler Feed Water pH   Next in Forum: Electrode Sensor

Advertisement