Previous in Forum: Cable Trench   Next in Forum: Design by Abaqus
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Aluminium Angle Profile on Colorbond Steel?

11/11/2014 8:12 PM

Hi everyone, I need to apply an angle profile on the enclosed trailer I builded, I made the frame using 25x25x1.6 mild steel, the blue painted, when I used steel colorbond rib to enclose and I used pre-painted rivets that match the colorbond colour. Now I need to attack some aluminium angle profiles to finish but I'm worry about electrolysis between the different metals. I already have the aluminium and if it is to problematic to use it I will perhaps use something else, but if is possible to use the aluminium this can maybe save some money. Is someone have any suggestion about how to deal with this problem ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Aluminium Angle Profile on Colorbond Steel?

11/11/2014 10:26 PM

Aluminum to colored steel is very difficult to do reliably, without mechanical fasteners.

Adhesives might work, but judging by your description of things, you will have difficulty doing this job properly.

Go to your favorite hardware store and ask for help to do this job.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

11/11/2014 10:51 PM

As #1, lyn, has stated you could have problems with mechanical fasteners. For the adhesives he mentioned you should contact reputable adhesive and epoxy manufacturers and ask them what they would recommend. Talk to their tech service or product development lab and describe the situation. If they don't have a good product ask them to recommend one from a different manufacturer. They want your future orders so they will help you if they know of some products by others.

A good place to start would be Henkel's Loctite division. They make many products such as epoxies, adhesives, thread sealants, caulking, etc. They have many structural adhesives such as

Loctite┬« H8110™ Speedbonder™ Structural Adhesive is a two part acrylic and a fast fixture version of H8000™. It is an excellent structural metal bonder especially for aluminum. The product fixtures in 5-10 minutes on steel and contains 0.015" glass spacer beads to prevent over-clamping of assemblies.

Their are numerous other products that will fit your application.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Good Answers: 107

11/12/2014 12:55 AM

What material are the prepainted rivets? I think you can assume that if it works for colorbond it will work for aluminum profiles. Maybe use coated screws and plastic washers.

What environment is this trailer in? Are you close to the sea to fear excessive corrosion? Humid? Wet?

Good Answers: 9

11/12/2014 10:26 AM

If you use an adhesive, you will need to strip the paint from the area to which you are bonding the aluminum. Otherwise you are bonding to the paint and you will lose the strength of a direct bond.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #4

11/12/2014 12:59 PM

Depending on the shape and accessibility a small wire brush in a 4-1/2" grinder, a drill with either a wire brush or sand paper pad, or even a orbital sander would readily remove the paint and create a slightly uneven surface that the adhesive could bond to. For small areas a Dremel with a wire brush or sanding paper would also work.

Although most adhesives don't, some will migrate through the paint and attach to the substrate under the paint. I wouldn't recommend that in this case.

Adhesive formulas cover about any possible use. I worked in the adhesive industry and the most unique product field test several others and myself went to see in use was an adhesive that my plant made and used for holding the "pasties" on stripper's breasts at an adult bar/club. Unfortunately the development lab manager got to test the adhesion, not me!

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #5

11/13/2014 12:07 PM

As an maintenance and construction employee of the 'Bare Affair' and "Flame Lounge' in Fairbanks, Alaska back in the '70's I was in charge of similar testing, required at the Flame, but optional ate the Bare Affair. Testing required a lot of time, and the pay was minimal, but I suffered through.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

11/12/2014 10:33 PM

I am going to assume you mean using the alumium angle to flash the corner joints?

If so, just pop rivet the ally angle to the colourbond.

If your worried about electrolysis between dissimilar metals, just buy some 1mm thick insertion rubber, cut to the width of the angle and place it between the ally and colourbond prior to riveting.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

11/12/2014 11:01 PM

You could try this type of product

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/441448O/vhb-tapes-design-guide.pdf?fn=70-0709-3830-6.pdf

See pages 12 and 13, and then give your local 3M representative a call for the best advice.

Good luck with your quest.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 225

11/12/2014 11:14 PM

Colorbond steel sheet is normally fabricated from Zincalume, which is compatible with Aluminium fasteners and other Aluminium profiles.

Simple Zinc coated/Galvanised sheet is also compatible, but Zincalume is slightly closer to Aluminium than is Zinc in the galvanic series, so is a better option.

For galvanic action to occur, there needs to be an electrolyte, in your case most likely water. So is the trailer going to be wet for long periods? Is it going to live in a humid environment? If the answer to either of those questions is yes, then slight corrosion may take place, with the coating on the steel either sacrificing itself to Aluminium alloy or vice-versa for Pure Al.

For fastening, stick to Aluminium alloy rivets as other types will either themselves corrode and fail or cause the surrounding metal to corrode allowing the rivet to come loose, the actual failure mode will depend on the material of the rivet used, ie. Monel or SS will corrode the steel sheet and the Al profile, and pure AL will corrode the rivet .

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Associate

Good Answers: 5

11/13/2014 1:17 AM

Do you live near the sea? if not I don't think electrolysis will be too much of a problem.

Most have gone off topic and told you HOW to attach the angle.

Guys, the question was "Will electrolysis corrosion be a problem?" Not "How should I attach the angle?"

Good Answers: 27

11/13/2014 1:45 AM

You can also go to the rainwater goods ( gutter, roofing etc. ) supplier/manufacturer near you and get some barge moulding bent to the size and shape you want from the same colour Colorbond sheet. I'm guessing you have a Fielders near you! Try them.

Jim

P.S. welcome to this mob.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 90

11/13/2014 4:16 AM

When I worked with military stuff years ago, they used pop rivets but dipped them in a non-setting paint (can't remember what it was called) to keep moisture out of the joint. If using adhesive you would have to key the aluminium surface as well to ensure a good joint.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #11

11/13/2014 11:47 AM

Here we install the rivets 'wet' with zinc chromate primer.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (2); claritysable (1); Frankston (1); geraldpaxton (1); IdeaSmith (1); JIMRAT (1); lyn (1); Mike W (1); Nigh (1); old salt (2); spades (1)

Previous in Forum: Cable Trench   Next in Forum: Design by Abaqus

Advertisement