Previous in Forum: Can Anyone Help On Electric Over-Head Crane Pendant Cable Wiring Diagram   Next in Forum: Final Year Project Topic
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Participant

Project Ideas

11/19/2014 9:16 AM

hello everyone,

i've got an internship opportunity at piston manufacturing company.first 10 days i've been assigned to machine shop.can you suggest some project that is possible to finish in that time period ? theoretical preferred...

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: machine shop pistons project
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

Re: Project ideas

11/19/2014 9:42 AM

You are an intern. You will be asked by your boss in this firm to do almost anything. If this manufacturer has integrity they will ask you to do something related to your schooling or that relates to their product. They might ask you to sweep the floor or make coffee at any time. It is very unlikely that they will let you choose a project on your own or that a group of internet strangers suggest you should do.

Congratulations on getting the intern position. Don't blow it by telling them what to do.

Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26

Re: Project Ideas

11/19/2014 10:39 AM

First thing to do is LISTEN to the old time machine operators. Learn , ask questions, watch and generally pick their brains.

If you want to know how well a broom works you don't ask the salesman of the broom or the guy who designed the broom, you ask the guy working the broom.

Anonymous Poster #1

11/19/2014 12:05 PM

I would suggest manufacturing a couple of keyboard keys. A SHIFT key is essential and a SPACE BAR that works after a period is also needed.

Often engineers or managers will assume that if the communication is not important enough to use a SHIFT key then the communication is not important enough for them to be bothered with it.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 6)
Guru

Good Answers: 69

11/19/2014 3:11 PM

In 10 days, not knowing exactly what they do or the current condition of the equipment, what are the most common problems that the machinists face every day... sounds a bit difficult, you need to spend some time getting familiar with the shop.

If you're in a hurry and must present the project, you can do a retrofit of a simple, yet essential piece of equipment: the kiln or oven, it only takes a new temperature controller and perhaps a power stage.

Sorry, no theory, I'm with Redfred: welcome to the real world.

Guru

Good Answers: 1666

11/19/2014 4:57 PM

"i've been assigned to machine shop."

Two suggestions already made are valid.

1. Learn how to communicate properly. Good grammar, spelling and punctuation will make you stand above all the texters and lazy people on the shop floor.

Yes, shop floor. That is not the place for a new untrained, unskilled, fledgling "engineer" to practice theoretical projects. That's where you learn to be accepted by the people who have already paid their dues. By, among other things, sweeping the floor if that's what needs to be done.

Observe, ask questions, run errands if that's what it takes to get the old hands to help you in return.

Don't under any circumstances, give them the benefit of your limited knowledge and unproven education, by offering advice to them, because you've been to college.

Your last question indicated a lack of direction. Now that you seem to have been provided with that, grasp it and learn all you can about how the machine shop works.

Most important is to learn how to design mechanical parts that CAN be machined by a human.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 21

11/20/2014 1:36 AM

Show by calculation, that they can save money on some currently manufactured item, by saving on materials (overspecced), labour, or energy costs (process)

Success will make your mark immediately.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

11/20/2014 5:26 AM

Over 50 years ago we used to take an old piston, hopefully a technically interesting one, and turn it into an ashtray......

But nowadays, thats not really a good idea!!

Good Answers: 25

11/20/2014 6:13 AM

Machine shop has what type of machines?. Old conventional machines or CNC machines? If it has old machines then you should learn the type of Jigs & Fixtures used, tooling, machining process etc. If CNC machines are installed then you should learn programming of the machines, special tools used etc. Also learn regular maintenance of the machines.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

11/20/2014 9:34 AM

What are you interning for, are you in college currently? Theoretically you could intern in a machine shop or any business for that matter as an accountant, office manager, machine operator, CAD designer, janitor etc.

At any rate a good goal for ten days of internship is to earn another ten days of internship. And you do that by asking questions and learning and showing interest and potential ability demonstrated by your ability to not be a pain in the neck or worse yet a know it all smartxxx.

You sound eager, that is more than half the battle. Good Luck and Learn.

Perhaps a good project would be to review and organize safe practices. Make sure all MSDSs are filed and current, yellow safety lines are clean and clear and adequate or maybe design a new tool rack for an overwhelmed operator that just does not have time to even ask because his work area is in chaos...

Good Answers: 1

11/20/2014 1:27 PM

Machine lubrication issues are always a fast and overlooked problem.

Good Answers: 10

11/20/2014 1:58 PM

Just don't make any pants...

Nobody likes piston pants

Good Answers: 1666
In reply to #11

11/20/2014 4:33 PM

But piston skirts are OK.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

11/21/2014 8:14 AM

Ummm, they don't have a training program set up for you? If you'll be wandering around trying to find work, I'd start wondering if this is the right place for you. It sounds like they want an investment from you, but they're not willing to invest in your success.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

12/08/2014 3:00 PM

Like I posted in another topic, The first 2 weeks of being assigned to "A" machine shop, all they trusted me to do was "SWEEP THE FLOOR " and clean the machines. When I successfully passed that test, the machinist set up a job and basically had me turn 10 discs about 6" in diameter with two steps in it. He zeroed out the dials and watched while I ran 2 parts then let me do the rest myself. You need to earn the trust of your coworkers and superiors. Show them respect, they have probably been doing this kind of work most of their lives and they can teach you the right way or the REALLY WRONG way if you tell them how it should be done! I'm sure everyone has one of those stories... If you are not sure, ask your coworkers? They know what machines they have and their capabilities along with the knowledge of a small project that could be completed in that time frame. If I were you, I would look for several 2 day projects and try to actually complete one of them in the 10 days you have rather than getting an 8 day project and taking 12 days to finish it. Unfinished projects never look good for a new employee, it kind of sets the tone for your next duties.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Hilton (1); lyn (2); Massey (1); MikeMack747 (1); Original_Macgyver (1); redfred (1); Rockyscience (1); Steve of the North (1); suresh sharma (1); texasron (1); Yahlasit (1)

Previous in Forum: Can Anyone Help On Electric Over-Head Crane Pendant Cable Wiring Diagram   Next in Forum: Final Year Project Topic

Advertisement