Previous in Forum: Learning to Fight Without Space Based Assets   Next in Forum: Leaptech Aviation
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

Latest Launch Vehicle

03/15/2015 8:25 PM

Watch out NASA and Space X, Larry Dixon developed a new disposable launch vehicle

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Latest launch vehicle

03/15/2015 8:38 PM

Orbit's too low.
Bet he's glad he was wearing a HANS. They are worth the restrictions they put on the driver. No more looking down.

Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

03/15/2015 9:15 PM

It's amazing he walked away from it. He swears by the Hans device, probably the best invention since seat belts

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19
In reply to #1

03/15/2015 9:21 PM

lyn, you wouldn't think so, the looking down thing, but after getting smashed back into the seat at launch EVERYTHING loosens up, just watch after they do the burnout the crew pulls the restraints ever tighter and at the end of the run when the chutes hit watch the in car video you'll see the driver get slammed forward and the helmeted head nod down quite a bit, granted the HANS device is a godsend but g forces are a bitch.

BTW the tubes in the chassis slide at that point to give the car flexibility to keep it from breaking, they were breaking chassis regularly before they came up with the idea.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Guru

In reply to #3

03/15/2015 9:42 PM

You're always pulling your belts tighter.

Don't know if you have ever worn one (HANS), or not.

Without one, the head snaps forward violently and in some cases lethally.

Side forces are absorbed by the seat sides. You can't look right or left either.

Maybe you know all of this.

Power-User

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19
In reply to #4

03/16/2015 12:48 AM

Nope never had them (HANS device) available when I was racing but I can attest to the violence of the ride.

The belts got pulled every time the car moved forward and stopped, felt like my shoulders were getting compressed inward by the time I launched, by the time I hit the chutes and stopped I could almost pull my arms free without unbuckling.

And these were 9.5 second cars, not even in the same universe as a fuel car.

Don't want to ride one of these guided missiles, but they sure are fun to watch.

Have you ever tried to describe the noise of two of those beasts running down the track to someone?? you can't imagine it till you experience it!

The time compression in drag cars is wild too, the 9.5 seconds I ran felt like forever, especially when something goes wrong.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

03/15/2015 9:55 PM

Never seen that one before, looks like the whole frame just broke in half....

In reply to #5

03/15/2015 10:49 PM

It did, but why? Fatigue, stress, loose fasteners, over torqued, or ......? Anyway you look at it, it had to have been one hell of an "E" ride!

In reply to #6

03/15/2015 11:15 PM

That all happened so fast he didn't have time to react. He probably couldn't even remember it till he saw the replay.

OK, maybe the first BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guru

In reply to #7

03/15/2015 11:28 PM

In an interview he said it seemed like he was in the air forever and glad he didn't go over the wall. Don't know why he feared going over the wall, I would think dirt would be a little softer than hitting asphalt and concrete at 290 mph, other than the safety crew wouldn't find all his body parts

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #8

03/16/2015 11:29 AM

In an interview he said it seemed like he was in the air forever and glad he didn't go over the wall.

Maybe there are alligators on the other side of the wall. Ya know, those things can be dangerous.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031
In reply to #7

03/16/2015 11:22 AM

I suspect that no reaction on his part would have changed the situation. There's not many flight controls on a broken dragster.

Guru

In reply to #12

03/16/2015 2:06 PM

I can attest to that sinking feeling one gets when one realizes that turning the steering wheel is not going to keep you from hitting the wall.

Sorta like Oh shit-bang.

I don't thing he even had time for Oh............

Guru

Re: Latest Launch Vehicle

03/16/2015 12:03 AM

Looks like the frame rail broke between box supports....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/11473180/Larry-Dixon-walks-away-from-terrifying-high-speed-fuel-crash.html

Typical frame rail model....

In reply to #9

03/16/2015 12:35 AM

Cool race frame suppliers....$50-60k

http://www.mckinneycorp.com/home

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #9

03/16/2015 1:59 PM

This racing moment of excitement is brought to you by DependsĀ®.

Power-User

Good Answers: 4

03/17/2015 9:45 AM

On describing the Top Fuel experience:

My son at about age 13 was using the word "Awesome" when talking to a friend. I looked at him and said "you have NO clue what the word means"

I had tickets to the NHRA Nationals in Ennis, TX, but he didn't know yet.

We got there at the beginning of the pre-race activies, then the first round of cars were the Top Fuel dragsters….

They burnout on Alcohol and the level of sound is loud, but:

For the run, the mix is turned to the Nitro mix and when they hit the lights, the world suddenly lights up with "AWESOME" sound levels.

You clothes shake, your chest resonates, and your equilibrium can be affected. After less than 4 seconds when the noise stopped, I looked at my son and said "NOW you know what 'Awesome' means."

The look in his eyes said everything.

His brain was trying to grasp what just happened.

If you've not been to a Top Fuel drag race, put it on your "Bucket List". It is an experience you'll never forget.

In reply to #16

03/18/2015 3:21 AM

Now that's Awesome! Great thing to share with your son I could never get wither of my daughters into it.

Good Answers: 102

03/17/2015 9:22 PM

Dashcam view would have been interesting.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bill H. (1); dj95401 (4); lyn (4); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (3); Usbport (1); Wal (1); Wrench twirler (2)

Previous in Forum: Learning to Fight Without Space Based Assets   Next in Forum: Leaptech Aviation

Advertisement