Previous in Forum: Trip Oil Pressure Low Alarm During Lube Oil Coller Change Over   Next in Forum: Proper Method to Upset (Bend) a Cotter Pin
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Active Contributor

Environmental Engineering

04/15/2015 10:24 AM

Good day, I enrolled for a long distance course for environmental Engineering, I work in an ice cream bussiness and know all the effluent treatment in our plant. I have never worked in the mines and I got this questions which is actually based in the mining industry, any suggestions?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Active Contributor

Re: Environmental Engineering

04/15/2015 10:25 AM

You have been appointed as an Environmental Consultant for a Metallurgical company in Northwest Province. The site is situated in the middle of the town and is surrounded by residential and business areas. The company extract, produce and process Zinc, Nickel and Cadmium by the application of heat. The following substances or mixtures are emitted: Particulate matter (200 mg/m

3), Sulphur dioxide SO2 (600 mg/m3) and Oxides of nitrogen NOx expressed as NO2 (600 mg/m3).

Discuss in detail the procedure you will follow to ensure that the company complies with the requirements of the National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act, 39 of 2004. Also refer to relevant technology that can be used to ensure that the company complies with the Minimum Emission Standards in terms of Section 21 of the National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act, 39 of 2004. [40]

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #1

04/15/2015 10:48 AM

I think the issue you're having is that you're knowledge base is water-centric but in Environmental Engineering and Compliance there are two other mediums in which you must also be equally familiar... Land and Air.

The above problem sounds Air-centric, so you'll need to ID the applicable emission limits - just like Water. But you will also need a base understanding of the process and the equipment utilized in the process - which is all obtainable through research.

At this point, I will help guide you in the right direction - you are not looking for Mining... try researching Smelting - both the process of, and the equipment used.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #2

04/16/2015 12:48 AM

Find your limits in the permits for your location federal and local. Figure out if you are over. Apply the appropriate BMP. Leg work and calculations you'll have to work on.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

In reply to #10

04/16/2015 12:57 AM

Examp BMP for NOX and PM 10 is a SCR

SOx lime water scrubbers

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #1

04/15/2015 2:38 PM

Welcome to the forum.

You have been given the relevant documents: the National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act, 39 of 2004 and the Minimum Emission Standards in terms of Section 21 of the National Environmental Management: Air Quality Act, 39 of 2004. [40]

It is your job to do the legwork and research.

Tutoring is two doors down on the left in Conference Room 6.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #1

04/15/2015 11:44 PM

To be absolutely certain that the plant's emissions are compliant all the time then close the company. Worked in Bophal.

I am not sure of the detailed procedure for closing a company at your location.

How big is the legacy problem?

In reply to #1

04/16/2015 2:18 PM

What country are these regs from? They're not US environmental regs. All air pollutants in the US are measured in ppm or tons per year.

In reply to #1

04/17/2015 1:17 AM

Thanks to everyone for your input, I now have an idea of what to do and how to go about doing it. I will take it from here and thanks again.....

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

04/15/2015 10:49 AM

Regrettably, it is one of CR4's rules that homework is not carried out here.

On the other hand, if the concern is a genuine installation, then an experienced Environmental Consultant should be hired at the earliest opportunity in pursuit of a solution to the problem. Caustic scrubbing would be one of the technologies worth considering.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

04/15/2015 11:46 AM

Mining impacts the Environment, therefore the question is appropriate. Good Luck answering it.

Guru

Good Answers: 1733

04/15/2015 8:38 PM

Probably ESP...

In reply to #6

04/16/2015 2:40 AM

Thanks a lot, this will be really helpfull...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

04/15/2015 11:38 PM

Ummmmm...... What is your QUESTION?????

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

04/15/2015 11:47 PM

OK now that I read the follow up post I see that it is a HOMEWORK question. Research it yourself you lazy gerbil. When I learned waste water treatment, I studied like a mad man to earn my certification. Read a book! Ask a colleague! Go to school! Oh wait. You're of th entitled generation so just go on the internet and buy your degree like most of the other lazy scumbags that think a piece of paper entitles them to a high paying job and all the perks. Good luck!?!?!?!?

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #9

04/16/2015 7:32 AM

At least he told everyone right off the bat is was homework.

Not my field at all, but looks like he just needed a nudge in the right direction.

Just my two cents. I'll show myself out now.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #13

04/16/2015 7:40 AM

well said.........

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161

04/16/2015 1:16 PM

We normally don't do homework here, but since you are responsible for all the ice cream, I suppose an exception is in order.

If you totally remove all the particulates and vapors from the air around various points in the smelting operation (this is beyond the perview of the mine), make the wastewater as pristine as the driven snow (or better), and make sure nothing leaks into the local soil, or reaches the aquifer, then you have answered the question.

Now all you have to do is define "nothing", and "totally remove", and propose means to arrive at those. By the way, these definitions in the United States have changed over the years. They used to be in units of ppm, but now they are probably in ppt.

That means parts per million (ppm) in the olden days, but now that we all have iPods, we analyze all pollutants down to parts per trillion (ppt). If not, then at least ppb - you can surely figure out what ppb means.

Good Answers: 252

04/16/2015 10:34 PM

Here is a link to the applicable legislation,(S Africa),2004

You must do your homework to get the answers.

If you are looking for ready-made answers,you are in the wrong place.

To paraphrase a former DI:

"If you are looking for Sympathy,you will find it in the dictionary

between Shiitake and Syphilis."

Good luck!(If you believe that luck has more value than hard work and preparation).

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

21051981 (4); bakerjohn (3); HiTekRedNek (1); James Stewart (1); JavaHead (1); lyn (1); Massey (1); Original_Macgyver (2); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); Torqued (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Trip Oil Pressure Low Alarm During Lube Oil Coller Change Over   Next in Forum: Proper Method to Upset (Bend) a Cotter Pin

Advertisement