Previous in Forum: Tablets   Next in Forum: First We Need to Learn to Tie Our Shoes and Play Nice
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Need for a Lubricant that is Extruding Friendly

08/11/2015 5:03 PM

Let me explain, we slit or our steel strip which is made out of mild steel that is hot dipped galvanized and the metal is then extruded using PVC and or polyurethane jacket. We sometimes get bubbles on the finished jacket which is why I am here. The polyurethane sometimes dips , it appears to shrink which creates a dimple. I do not know why or who's idea it was to lubricate the slitting blades with hydraulic oil but I believe it is a contaminant to our extruding process. Is there a lubricant out there that is friendly to an extruding process? Maybe a lubricant that will somehow evaporate or break down so that our extruding process is no longer affected? If you have any tips or pointers please share, thank you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1750

Re: Need for a lubricating that is extruding friendly

08/11/2015 5:28 PM

Can you install a bath or steam spray to treat the strip before coating process?

Good Answers: 1666

Re: Need for a lubricating that is extruding friendly

08/11/2015 5:58 PM

What you have is an uncontrolled, or out of control, process.

If you don't know who decided to use hydraulic oil or why then you are doomed to fail.

Where are your process descriptions and process instructions?

As SE said a cleaning step after slitting and before extrusion is called for.

You don't want oils on your metals because they will cause all kinds of problems, the worst of which will be no adhesion of the extrudate to the substrate metal.

Get someone to write a process that works and then see that it is followed.

You need a professional to help you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

Re: Need for a Lubricant that is Extruding Friendly

08/11/2015 8:37 PM

As far as I know, "normal" oils are incompatible with PVC, and they will need to be cleaned off of the substrate metal. Maybe some type of synthetic lubricant could work, if any lubricant is actually needed. Unless someone already knowledgeable about this joins the discussion, you may need to do your own experimentation.

Welcome to CR4, and good luck in sorting out your process.

In reply to #3

08/11/2015 9:08 PM

Already knowledgeable?

Lubricants have no place on an extrusion line on the ├žore of the extrusion.

They are a release agents and the boiling off during the extrusion process may well cause voids.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783
In reply to #4

08/11/2015 9:46 PM

What's that cedilla doing there on "core"?

In reply to #5

08/11/2015 10:32 PM

Of that, I have no knowledge.

If I had W10, I might be able to get them to reconstruct the keystrokes that put it there.

They, and the NSA, leave no key input or spoken voice unrecorded.

Of course I also have no independent, personal knowledge of this.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #4

08/13/2015 12:31 AM

"Already knowledgeable"

That would appear to exclude you, Lyn, unless you have run a plant that extrudes steel strips into forms that are plasticized with PVC or Polyurethane. You've never heard of a lubricant that is not oil. You are assuming the galvanized strips are oily. We got it. You don't know of a solution other than the one SE gave. Your comments get more tiresome every day. I bet you don't recognize the terminology, but you are officially the worst internet troll I've ever witnessed.

Get someone to write a process that works and then see that it is followed.

I wish I could see the face of the junior engineer that you said that to, as he went to find another job. "Did he just say that? Did he really just say that? No, I must have misunderstood him. Did he really just say that?"

In reply to #11

08/13/2015 1:05 AM

That's great. You have expertly solved all the OP's process problems with a single post.

I'm sure that they appreciate your expertise in the field.

Once again you have demonstrated your amazing skills to the forum.

I feel especially enlightened by your use of the word "plasticized" in the context of plastic extrusion.

I understand that plasticised materials (at least PVC) are used in the extrusion process, but I never knew that the extrusion process itself was called plasticising.

Well anyway, thanks for the compliment.

I'm sure that mrmanuel1234 appreciates your help too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #12

08/13/2015 8:13 PM

your welcome.

Good Answers: 11

08/12/2015 7:50 AM

There are many companies out there that supply lubricants for just about any kind of metal manufacturing process. A simple Google search can reveal some of them. The better ones will also custom-tailor a lube formulation for your needs. The sure cure though, as was mentioned, is to run the strip through a wash station prior to extrusion. Also, are the slitting blades wear coated? May be able to reduce or eliminate the lube altogether.

08/12/2015 8:52 AM

Thank you all for your replies, we can not create a process for cleaning because there are a few dinosaur managers around here who are stubborn and say that the oil is not an issue. I am looking for a coolant that is equal in price to hydraulic oil so that they cant say it is too expensive. I am basically crossing all of my T's and dotting my I's before I make a suggestion. I need to do my research and conduct an experiment and go from there. I like the idea of the bath but that will cost money, I would like to create a process but when people are in denial they feel no process is needed. I will keep looking around and if anyone can think of something please suggest, thanks again.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #8

08/12/2015 9:53 AM

If you cannot get it past the DINOSAURS then you and the company are DOOMED to complete and utter failure.

Your competition is relishing in the thought of taking over your business and your company when your customers return every piece of faulty extrusion they ordered and fail to pay their bills.

Find a different job if you are unable to get your manager to at least listen to you.

Oh... By the way... There are probably a hundred water soluble slitting coolants out on the market. Look at our SUPPLIER page. They could be washed off in the post slitting process line easily!

Oh... By the way... HYDRAULIC oil is for HYDRAULICS! Not SLITTING!

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266
In reply to #8

08/12/2015 10:13 AM

I use mineral oil for a coolant and cutting fluid.

Light weight mineral as a coolant will evaporate. It still does leave a flim on the material.

As far as cost you will have to look around. As I use a medical grade. Which is a personal choice. Less head aches with whom every questions it as a health issue.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AverageJoe (1); lyn (4); mrmanuel1234 (1); Original_Macgyver (1); ozzb (1); PFR (2); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Tablets   Next in Forum: First We Need to Learn to Tie Our Shoes and Play Nice

Advertisement