Previous in Forum: Super Nova - Pretty Cool   Next in Forum: Ion Plasma Wing Flaps
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 3

Corporate Aircraft

03/30/2016 11:54 PM

With renewed interest in civilian supersonic flight , now targeting the business world , I think it's an impractical concept . Build a Learjet type jet that has VTOL capabilities instead I think would be an even more attractive idea for business travelers . Point to point travel would probably in the end save more time by eliminating travel from distance airports . Helipad to helipad at speeds of our present day aircraft would be the most attractive selling point for a new aircraft design in my opinion . Any idea of the cost differential between a supersonic business jet vs a VTOL business jet ?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: Corporate aircraft

03/31/2016 12:07 AM

Just let business executives travel by ICBM. Quickie up, quickie down.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #1

03/31/2016 2:28 AM

I like your idea, especially a one-way trip.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

03/31/2016 7:52 AM

there might be room in the Shuttle's cargo bay that's going to waste

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #8

03/31/2016 8:24 AM

NASA's Shuttle has finished. There is still Le Shuttle going from Folkestone to Sangatte, though.

Good Answers: 1725

03/31/2016 12:34 AM

What's it gonna' take to put you in this classic today? Did I mention we include his and hers parachutes?

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1976-hawker-siddeley-harrier-gr3-jump-jet

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #2

03/31/2016 12:47 PM

Those his and her parachutes are nice....but when you read the fine print, it says she has to sit on your lap as there's only one seat.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #13

03/31/2016 3:29 PM

The problem with that is?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #14

04/01/2016 6:57 AM

And she says "Is that the joy stick or are you happy to see me?"

In reply to #22

04/01/2016 8:44 AM

Did that incident take place in the cockpit ?

03/31/2016 12:38 AM

Cost differential?

We don't have one running around - that's gonna be tough.

Osprey is the closest bet, but, that's a military bird.

Onboard VTOL for a bizjet is way too much trouble for its ROI.

Much better to have a separate VTOL platform to lift it up for some type of elevated launch.

Or

One or 2 launch, or limited used VTOL booster(rocket of some kind), put in just for take off.

Air Force has been doing it, i.e.: plenty of data there.

Good Answers: 50
In reply to #3

03/31/2016 6:24 AM

The current program for a commercial Osprey derivative, is the AW609. I worked for the avionics provider back when it was the BB609/BA609. It kept changing airframe manufactures, as it was a money pit of development moneys. And it's still not certified.

My memory was back 10 years ago, you could buy a biz-jet and 2 turbo-prop (all 12 seaters) for the cost of one tilt rotor. This was from a magazine article back at that time. But a wiki article Wiki_AW609 has a price estimate of $24Million(2005). Current price for a CJ1 is ~$3.6Million. So the price estimate is even greater differential from it's original design hopes.

The only market was north sea oil rigs, and far from shore search and rescue.

These are complicated machines, as they require flight augmentation computers that are fail operational, as the air frame is not stable. As well an engine failure is a loss of flight, so there are 5 transmissions as part of the cross feeding of power between the rotors.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #3

03/31/2016 4:34 PM

'..VTOL booster (rocket of some kind)...'

Okay, I understand how a rocket booster might be viewed as a tried/true technology for the first three letters in that acronym, but that 'L' at the end seems a bit more tricky.

SpaceX and Blue Origin have indeed landed a rocket. I'm not ready to hop on just yet.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

03/31/2016 2:51 AM

None whatsoever. It is up to the project champion, not CR4 readers, to determine the difference and to sell the concept to potential investors.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

Re: Corporate Aircraft

03/31/2016 7:39 AM

With teleconferencing and virtual reality making communication effectively instantaneous I don't see a market for business aircraft landing in a parking lot. If a business chooses to outsource work then some executives must endure the travel to and from an airport.

03/31/2016 12:15 PM

Keep the corporate jet and just hire a rotor jockey to take you to your final destination. Much cheaper solution.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

03/31/2016 12:28 PM

Parachute out of the jet. This will get them to the meeting even faster. Saves money on helicopter fees.

In reply to #11

03/31/2016 12:29 PM

Air-BOHN.

Guru

Good Answers: 144

03/31/2016 8:28 PM

A drone coptor designed to pick up aircraft and then move them forward past their take off speed whilst releasing would be quite a trick.. The opposite approach for landing..

It will be proposed.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #16

03/31/2016 9:51 PM

Amazing prediction. It just was.

In reply to #16

04/01/2016 1:14 AM

English Electric worked on this in the '60s, but stalled because thrusters(jet engines) weren't strong enough back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07N6qy3xhlY

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

04/01/2016 1:01 AM

What makes you think a corporate or a private pilot is going to invest in a SST?

Air France, (deep pockets) couldn't afford too fly them, Boeing and USSR, (at the time) fore-seen the money pit that they are and quit. The Concord couldn't keep their tail feathers intact let alone, cut tires, compressor stalls and burning out brake assy's on a short runway trying to land. I had the distinct honor to replace 2 brake assy's on the last Air France Concord. That type of aircraft isn't going to fly again in our life time.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #18

04/01/2016 1:38 AM

Concorde, please.

04/01/2016 3:06 AM

Has anyone here seen the "Herculean" effort put forth to load the baggage compartment of the Concord(s)? The baggage compartment is accessed from the bottom of the fuselage, which is 15' or 5 meters off the ground.

Even at $15.00 p.hr, (Calif. new wages) wouldn't be enough pay for me to load one of those SOB's

I got volunteered to do brake jobs on one of AF's Concords because we were the only Hanger on the field that had jacks tall enough to raise the "lawn dart"

And, how do explain to the aircrew, let alone the paying passengers, they lost the top third of the rudder while in flight? And, yes they did suffer rudder flutter in a bad way.

Impressive during take off and landing, but if ever you wondered what it felt like to be in a sardine can ..... climb aboard a Concord.

Thanks, but no thank you.

Good Answers: 2

04/01/2016 8:02 PM

I ran the Concorde II notion by my step son, a corporate type expat in Shanghai who does the crossing at least 6 times per year. A 4-5 hour flight from Dallas to Shanghai would be worth at least $10k to him...and maybe even more to some of his cronies, even the Chinese.

Guru

In reply to #24

04/01/2016 8:26 PM

I don't think $10k for one passenger every other month will be a viable business model.

In reply to #25

04/02/2016 10:05 AM

The president of Western Union had much the same initial reaction to A. G. Bell's "toy", a gadget for the entertainment of the wealthy on their estates. By the time Bell demonstrated with wires strung around the Philadelphia Exposition, Mr. Western Union publicly admitted how wrong he was.

We will see where the globalization market takes us on Concorde II.

Guru

In reply to #26

04/02/2016 11:01 AM

Clearly the president of Western Union had a biased initial perspective that blinded him from seeing the future. The Concorde demonstrated that commercial supersonic travel of a hundred passengers could be profitable when fuel was cheap and telecommuting or tele-presence relied only on A. G. Bell's toy. Supersonic travel of twenty or less people as Concorde II will likely require a ticket fee much more than just twice the old Concorde ticket price. The cost of a personal, corporate supersonic vehicle will likely be even more.

In reply to #27

04/03/2016 9:37 AM

I certainly agree with the ticket price assertion for the Airbus concept. I suspect the actual serious proposal will emerge from the outfit that has skin in the current game...Lockheed Martin's initial funding by the guvmint for the SR-72. Every step of the way LM will have its eye on a 100+ passenger commercial version.

A young PhD electronics engineer friend, who with a couple of others, has plunged into the cutting edge of hardened electronics development, has taken professional note of the demand for his services exerted by hardened hypersonic avionics.

It is not so much if, but when and in what form are we to have another generation of very high speed airborne passenger service.

Reply to Forum Thread 28 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (3); bullardrr (3); dj95401 (3); ignator (1); JBTardis (2); JE in Chicago (1); PWSlack (2); Ramm (3); redfred (4); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (2); truth is not a compromise (2)

Previous in Forum: Super Nova - Pretty Cool   Next in Forum: Ion Plasma Wing Flaps

Advertisement