Previous in Forum: Sifting Through the Wreckage of Cold Fusion   Next in Forum: The E-Charger System...
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Global Warming: The Third Viewpoint

12/09/2016 9:38 AM

In general, the discussion of 'Global Warming' or 'Climate Change' is usually presented as an argument between two extreme camps where neither side ever changes the other side's viewpoint.

There really is a middle ground. Matt Ridley's talk at The Royal Society is not only timely and informative, but surprisingly humorous and entertaining.

Watch and enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5M1qtN62yk

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1733

Re: Global Warming: The Third Viewpoint

12/09/2016 10:42 AM

I don't see the effect on vegetation by increasing CO2 levels as anything new....Robust growth and drought resistance is well documented and has been discussed on here many times.....The graphs from the studies are merely confirmation that this is occurring as suspected...Further the effects of global warming predictions have been revised from time to time as studies have been completed and data analyzed...The dire predictions of catastrophic change were predicated on the temperature rising rapidly, which has not been the case, depending on your perspective of time.....All in all all he is doing is announcing what is currently known or predicted at this time, which is consensus thinking...I think we can all be grateful that the temperature isn't rising as fast as it could have been....Lord Ridley seems to be taking great pleasure in pontification of his conservative views and now considers himself vindicated for refusing to face what could have been possible...Like he says, nobody can predict the future....Worst case scenarios rarely play out, but when they do, it's usually devastating....

Guru

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #1

12/09/2016 10:56 AM

"Worst case scenarios rarely play out, but when they do, it's usually devastating...."

That's probably why they are termed "worst case" and not ,"meh, it happens fairly often' scenarios.

This is a perfect example of why it's good to live life on a 'deal with it as it actually happens' basis and not 'worry and waste resources on unfounded unlikely to happen what if's ' basis.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #2

12/09/2016 4:47 PM

So you aren't one of those mid western doomsday fanatics with a stockpile of food and ammo enough to last 25 years?

In reply to #4

12/09/2016 7:02 PM

Nope. I deal with life as it comes and try not to waste too much of my time and energy concerned about anything that isn't happening right now or within my immediate and predictable future.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #2

12/12/2016 11:57 AM

''Deal with what actually happens'' as the primary basis for conducting human affairs is a troublesome concept for we Eagle Scouts. But the world with American ''leadership'' is on the cusp of such an epoch, a modern re-run of human affairs from the 1930's. Maybe CR4 should consider having a real time link: http://thebulletin.org/doomsday-dashboard.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646
In reply to #1

12/11/2016 5:24 PM

Well, since he has been viciously attacked in the press and online, he does seem to enjoy his opportunity to defend his statements and reply to his critics.

Aside from describing the surprising amount of greening that has occurred, he makes a number of other points that I have rarely seen made anywhere - here on CR4 or anywhere else.

Beginning at about the 26 minute mark he discusses the 'multiplier effects' on the global warming predictions. I'd heard of this, but the way it is used in the models is not well known, I suspect.

He discusses the inabilities of the models to simulate the effects of clouds, and how cloud modelling they've used contradicts NASA's data. He also discusses the 'RCP8.5' modelling (the Representative Concentration Pathways) which attempts to model CO2 due to population growth and the net effect this has on warming. His discussion of this reveals information that (I bet) almost no one is aware of, outside the narrow field of climate modelling.

Good Answers: 206
In reply to #11

12/11/2016 6:02 PM

I think the tipping point on the science is already here but those with strongly entrenched opinions will hold their positions for months to come. with the new administration at the controls we can expect significant change in their approach to the issue.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

12/11/2016 6:34 PM

try arguing with this guy.....I can't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieKJicXUVrM

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

12/09/2016 1:32 PM

IMHO, global warming is a cyclable happening. Although humans help by contributing Co2 to the atmosphere, their contribution amounts to a miniscule amount. I just don't believe humans can go up against nature in any way to alone destroy the planet.

Good Answers: 1733
In reply to #3

12/09/2016 7:16 PM

Haha.... have you even seen a herd of 6 billion people? They can pretty much destroy anything and everything in their path....

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #3

12/11/2016 9:35 PM

I don't happen to think 50% is a minuscule amount, but that is just my opinion.

Would you be a little more specific about humans not being able to destroy the planet? Does that include sterilizing it? It is pretty clear that humans turned the Fertile Crescent and Australia into desert, and that was was before nuclear weapons.

I don't believe that humans will destroy the planet. I don't believe that humans will do extinct. I just have doubts that civilization will survive global warming, and the process of going from over 7 billion people to a sustainable number may be painful.

Good Answers: 107
In reply to #15

12/11/2016 9:50 PM

Really Australia was turned into desert by the people? Where did that come from?

In reply to #16

12/11/2016 10:21 PM

I rechecked my facts. Apparently the origins of the desert has been revised since I last read about it. They probably resulted from the Ice Age that occurred about 10,000 years after the aborigines arrived. The original idea was that firestick farming changed the environment to desert. It probably had less drastic effects, including removing the open woodlands and replacing them with savannah.

It still seems to be the case that the megafauna was driven extinct by the aborigines, probably by the changes introduced by firestick farming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire-stick_farming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Indigenous_Australians

My apologies for citing research that was out of date.

The Fertile Crescent is still known to have been turned to desert by irrigation by humans.

Guru

12/09/2016 7:05 PM

More related stuff.

Why Due diligence is required on climate related claims from the media.

Lying sacks of sensationalistic crap out to make a buck is why.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #6

12/10/2016 2:52 PM

Expect the narrative in DC to change rapidly once adults are back in charge.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #8

12/10/2016 11:15 PM

The adults in charge will then be commissioned to babysit the narrative.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

12/11/2016 9:13 PM

I like the word you used here. It kind of pulled me up short to think our representatives in Washington are there "on commission." That puts a new perspective on things.

12/10/2016 2:55 PM

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bullardrr (1); Canary (3); Fredski (4); IdeaSmith (1); Phys (1); ronseto (1); SolarEagle (2); tcmtech (3); tonyhemet (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Sifting Through the Wreckage of Cold Fusion   Next in Forum: The E-Charger System...

Advertisement