Previous in Forum: FreeCell   Next in Forum: NASA's Virtual Telescope: CANYVAL-X
Close
Close
Close
69 comments
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 418

Re: Justice in the Fight Against Patent Trolls

01/03/2017 8:57 AM

It seems that justice is coming to patent trolls in the court systems. Now they are holding the attorneys directly responsible fiscally for the patent troll.

Brief description of a Patent Troll:

In pejorative usage, a patent troll is a person or company that attempts to enforce patent rights against accused infringes far beyond the patent's actual value or contribution to the prior art. Patent trolls often do not manufacture products or supply services based upon the patents in question.

A little more detail and how it's applied:

Let’s start with a definition of a patent troll.

A troll is a firm that does two distinct things.

First, it purchases lots of patents that it has no intention of using. That is a prerequisite for being a patent troll, but it doesn’t make a company one.

The second element is essential: They must take this patent (and the vaguer the patent, the better) and threaten lots of companies that in reality have done nothing wrong. Those companies must either pay license fees or be dragged through the court system at great expense. The troll then offers to sell a license at a deeply discounted price, counting on companies deciding that it would be much easier and cheaper to pay than fight.

I'm glad that justice is finally coming. I hope this extends beyond just representing patent trolls.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Re: Justice in the fight against Patent Trolls

01/03/2017 9:13 AM

Didn't have enough time to edit it... but I like to add.

I'm glad that justice is finally coming. And its absolutely brilliant how the judge came up with it. I hope this extends beyond just from representing patent trolls and to other frivolous lawsuits.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #1

01/03/2017 3:49 PM

So, this Shrek, is he a patented troll?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #1

01/03/2017 3:50 PM

I would vote for fighting patent trolls. At the same time, a bill was introduced to eliminate companies over a certain size from buying up patent rights to new, energy saving inventions, then burying the technology!

No, a good first step would be rounding up the offenders and drag hanging them through a choya cactus patch (or barrel head, their choice). If that didn't change their minds, there is always .45 Long Colt or a nearby low hanging branch.

Good Answers: 1682
In reply to #20

01/03/2017 4:34 PM

You just can't do that, yet.

As your governor said to Ed Earl in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

"But the law is the law! - Sometimes it's gotta be changed."

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #21

01/03/2017 4:46 PM

LOL!

01/03/2017 10:49 AM

This is a good first step.

Now, if the ruling can withstand the legal onslaught from troll's lawyers and if Congress will just stay out of it, justice may finally prevail.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

01/03/2017 10:55 AM

The only way congress will get involved would be if the lobbyists for the attorneys start greasing the wheels heavily, which I suspect will happen.

This could set a precedence with class action lawsuits, and that means money to the attorneys.

Hopefully in the next election cycle, people will realize that career politicians are bad for the country and send them packing.

In reply to #3

01/03/2017 11:03 AM

That's asking a lot of voters. That would require doing some actual factual research instead of believing whichever "news" outlet they happen to agree with politically.

This SHOULD transcend politics since inventions and inventors usually have no political agenda.

"Hopefully in the next election cycle, people will realize that career politicians are bad for the country." Let's hope so.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

01/03/2017 11:37 AM

There is one thing I would also like to see: a large corporation that intentionally infringes on a patent knowing full well that the owner of the infringed patent doesn't have the resources to defend his or her patent.

In reply to #4

01/03/2017 4:52 PM

Yes, inventors do have a political agenda. It is called "power of the people, by the people, and for the people". Anything less is swill. So "Power to the People", may they rule forever!

I agree, term limits should be right next to the city limits.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #3

01/03/2017 2:56 PM

Regarding the last statement, "don't hold your breath."

In reply to #17

01/03/2017 3:12 PM

Thanks

Good Answers: 285
In reply to #2

01/03/2017 11:50 AM

The prospects of being able to rely on this Congress to do what is right (including staying out of the way) seem to have become far less likely, given one of their very first actions was to eliminate independent outside ethics oversight.

In reply to #6

01/03/2017 12:21 PM

As far as ethics oversight, it's not working.

The Independent Ethics Counsel, its seems, was only set up by complacent career politicians to be a symbolic gesture to temper the outraged voters.

One can't have the foxes (politicians) making the fence (Independent Ethics Committee) to protect the hen house (voters' best interests).

We've seen too much of government departments who are supposed to be independent and are not.

It's not working.

If it's not working, cut it out.

Which brings us back to the last sentence from my post #3 to be more effective.

In reply to #7

01/03/2017 9:59 PM

But bringing the ethics cousel under the control of the bipartisan ethics committee is Exactly assigning the foxes to guard the hen house.

This was no fat trimming measure. It didn't close the comittee, it just put it under congressional control and clipped its wings.

At best this was 'preemptive ass-covering' for ethically questionable behavior. Whether they did this out of fear of people attempting to slow down their reforms, or whether they have things more self serving in mind, this was not a smart play unless they intend that the benefits they reap will far outweigh the damage this inflicts on their believability and general character.

Even if this is only the appearance if impropriety, it is an incredible blunder. Don'the throw your support behind this fiasco, just because you are accustomed to defending this side. You have to be able to recognize such a profound mistake and claim it is such for your other opinions of support to have any weight.

I am completely with you on your last statement in comment #3.

In reply to #30

01/03/2017 11:39 PM

Even though I have been saying that both side are corrupt.

As of lately, It turns out that I defending (rather aggressively) this side By addressing the false provado of false and bias narratives.

But both side, I very little respect, and even few that I gave that respect to.

imjust can't stand career politicians. They are way far out of touch and use their office for personal gain and think nothing of it.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 790
In reply to #33

01/04/2017 1:36 AM

That was even more illiterate than usual; there were one or more errors in every line but the last.

In reply to #34

01/04/2017 5:30 AM

Thanks tornado, I'm sure your criticism even though true, was actually based on something else I said to you that got your butt hurting other than my sentence structure. (More then likely our opposed political stance)

And since you failed to defend successfully your political platform in the past with me, you instead took the easier way. And I understand that.

So with that said, I just like to add, at least one of the things why my father was proud of me is because I had the ambition to finished what I started.

Anything else?

In reply to #34

01/04/2017 5:50 AM

Nice talking to you, till next time.

In reply to #6

01/03/2017 12:36 PM

The president-elect [I'm paraphrasing] "condemned" the move.

Time will tell if that was just bluster to soothe the masses or if he really acts. In any case, it's just giving the keys to the hen house back to the foxes/wolves/coyotes/bloated lifelong members of Congress with no incentive to police themselves.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

01/03/2017 12:50 PM

Trump actually has no people to write his scripts and, instead, responds quite bluntly.

One thing this does is make people tread lightly. Even though after an initial announcement, if the edge of Trump's announcement made be is addressed more diplomatically, as long as the essence remains, I'm fine with that.

In reply to #9

01/03/2017 1:36 PM

The House has decided to reverse course and retain the, as we know, toothless feel-good ethics committee.

A victory (???) for the voters.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

01/03/2017 1:43 PM

Have to wait and see... I like to know what the ethics committee actually accomplished so far.

In reply to #11

01/03/2017 1:56 PM

Probably about as much (or as little) as Congress did.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

01/03/2017 2:13 PM

Congress is nothing but a gutless bunch of career politicians, so no, they're just on for the ride.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #13

01/03/2017 2:42 PM

Guru

In reply to #14

01/03/2017 2:43 PM

I like bacon.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #15

01/03/2017 2:45 PM

Plenty inside the Beltway.

Guru

01/03/2017 4:46 PM

Our term limits amendment was just introduced in the U.S. House and Senate.

Senator Ted Cruz and Representative Ron DeSantis are the primary sponsors.

Unfortunately though, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is STILL promising to block any floor vote on term limits.

That’s a very big problem for our “two-track” strategy for slapping term limits on Congress.

We are making great progress in convincing 34 states to call for the Term Limits convention.

But in Congress, the professional politicians are determined to block our efforts.

press@termlimits.org

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

01/03/2017 7:18 PM

Mitch is as big an a$$ as Reid.

In reply to #25

01/03/2017 7:57 PM

They've just been there way too long.

Their #1 priority if fundraising for the next never ending election cycle.

Practically every day that Congress is in session, fundraisers are going on all over Washington -- especially in and around Capitol Hill. Attending campaign affairs, to raise money for their next re-election campaign, is nearly as vital a part of the congressional calendar as showing up on the House or Senate floor to vote

Fundraising for the next election begins as soon as the last election ends.

Fundraisers are happening all over D.C. every day that Congress is in session.

10 Things You Should Know

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

01/03/2017 9:19 PM

They're just afraid to make a decision that they were elected to make that may affect there career.

Good Answers: 9

01/03/2017 8:05 PM

oh, this does not seem applies to me. I am the other category of being a troll

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #27

01/03/2017 8:12 PM

You are much worse than a troll. You are a ROSOAB!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #28

01/03/2017 9:59 PM

oh, what is that?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

01/03/2017 11:17 PM

Apparently, someone who is no good at figuring out acronyms....along with at least one more common meaning.

Good Answers: 35

01/04/2017 11:09 AM

That's going to be a hard one to push because all the major companies would be lobbying to stop it. Standard Oil bought up a patent on a V8 Engine, that someone invented that got over 50 mpg, back in the 1930's and buried it. Someone bought up the copy writes to the song "Happy Birthday" so anytime someone sings happy birthday, technically they owe someone a royalty fee. However, if you can't show due diligence in enforcing the patent or copy write, then it's pretty much moot. Samuel Morse learned that with his Telegraph but Bell Telephone learned that and maintained theirs for many years. Standard Oil showed due diligence until oil was discovered in Texas and was unable to exercise due diligence, which gave rise to several new oil companies like Texaco. It's a game played by big corporations to protect their profits at the expense of everyone else. There have been several occasions where someone has tried to lay copy writes on certain names or words but have been shut down by the courts. There's always going to be someone trying to get money for nothing.

In reply to #37

01/04/2017 11:37 AM

Again, hopefully in the next election cycle, people will realize that career politicians are bad for the country and send them packing.

Then you'd have better chance of it succeeding.

In reply to #38

01/04/2017 11:51 AM

It seems with each coming election cycle, our political leaders take another step down hill. Then they create new useless laws just to justify their existence, when we have more than enough laws already and any legitimate law gets shut down by lobbyists. They run for office not to serve but to make money. Trump is there just so he can say he did it. Clinton + Bush + Obama = Trump. I dread what the next President after Trump is going to be like.

In reply to #39

01/04/2017 11:54 AM

Clinton + Bush + Obama = Trump.

I don't know what you'd call that, an analogy, sum or product. (Sum actually, but a good example) But I've said that before. Trump is the result from the path taken.

And from some of the exchanges, few are hell bent to stay true to the path already taken.

Hopefully its a big enough slap in the face to initiate a correction other than lip service.

Guru

In reply to #40

01/04/2017 12:19 PM

I concur but it's not going to happen because too many people wear blinders to the faults of their chosen parties and prefer the point fingers and blame others.

In reply to #41

01/04/2017 12:29 PM

Actually, few people recognize coherent policy, that is not of malicious intent toward the general welfare of the citizenry. Government simply is not doing its main job right now, and doing a whole bunch of other stuff that is extraconstitutional.

In reply to #45

01/04/2017 12:36 PM

Since the illegal installment of the 14th Amendment, the Federal Government has had license to overreach their Constitutional confinements.

In reply to #49

01/04/2017 12:43 PM

Its not perfect and we were warned about forming a more perfect union.

It's an on going process.

In reply to #51

01/05/2017 12:05 AM

'Warned'?

I do have problems with 'more' (describing a comparative degree) modifying 'perfect' (an absolute condition, not subject to gradients or degrees), but I don't thing that is the warning to which you refer.

I read the link you provided, but am hard pressed to see a warning. The closest thing so far is that I notice Washington dies a few years after the Constitution was ratified.... are you concerned a modern era Washington is imperiled by a desire to improve the state of the nation?

In reply to #59

01/05/2017 1:14 AM

I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

The warning was that it was a work in progress. It was not a perfect union, but what it was striving for.

It was a work in progress. And since perfect is an absolute, it would be an never ending process.

In reply to #60

01/05/2017 6:03 PM

Alright. Thanks for the clarification.

In reply to #49

01/04/2017 12:52 PM

How do you suppose the 14th Amendment was installed illegally?

I sort of like the 14th Amendment, as it pertains to States rights.

It clearly marks and draws a line as to the issuance of debt that took place in support of rebellion or insurrection.

It helps define terms for removal of office anyone who has committed sedition. I think Obama would be eligible for that, except he will be gone soon anyway.

In reply to #53

01/04/2017 12:56 PM

I think its the foundation of the transportation of individual rights with in the country. And bound the states as one.

And example application of indirect democracy in a republic.

but that's just my opinion.

I should have posted this in the break room.

In reply to #53

01/04/2017 1:07 PM

The first time it was sent through for ratification it did not get ratified and some states that initially ratified it, withdrew their ratification. It wasn't just the Southern States that rejected it either. California didn't ratify it until 1958. Congress declared all the States that withdrew ratification or didn't ratify it as being hostile, so they wouldn't have to be counted for ratification. That's why it was illegally installed. It effectively made everyone Citizens of Washington DC, rather than the State where you reside, without your consent.

In reply to #55

01/05/2017 9:00 AM

OK, let's throw out the entire US Constitution, and resort to the Viking code. Personal combat to the death to determine leadership. My money is on Trump, unless Obama wants to suck him to death.

In reply to #40

01/04/2017 12:26 PM

Trump >> Bush >> Clinton >> Obama (on leadership skills and intentions)

Trump << Bush < Clinton << Obama (on spending in government, bad deals)

Looks like we are in for sheer bliss where I stand, unless anyone objects to America winning for a change. There go you liberals, have at it!

In your face, for now.

In reply to #44

01/04/2017 12:31 PM

Looks like we are in for sheer bliss where I stand,

That in my opinion is too optimistic. I'll wait and see because its 95% out of our hands. If nothing changes, I'll change and the next voting booth.

The other 5%, if its worse, then I'll push for immediate change. Not that impeachment has any value anymore, but its a start.

In reply to #46

01/04/2017 12:34 PM

At least try get on board the soul train, because it is pulling out of the station January 20th, and we are glory bound. America will be great again. I plan to do everything I can within my heart and soul to make it so, will you join me in the fight?

In reply to #48

01/04/2017 12:40 PM

Hold up,... wait for me....

In reply to #50

01/04/2017 12:47 PM

Interesting example, LOL!

In reply to #48

01/05/2017 9:48 PM

First let's move the correct chair in for the Twit-in-Chief.

Guru

In reply to #66

01/06/2017 12:01 PM

Considering the outgoing one needed a straight jacket....all the incoming one needs is his business attire. He will bring people to the table that can negotiate, organize, and act. It won't be long until the forgotten worker of this country is comfortably back doing what he is good at, working, and enjoying his life.

Bitterness is not a good color on you, Lyn, you should let it go, join up, and help get America back on its feet. We have plenty of other dogs in mangers now, you don't need to be another one.

In reply to #38

01/04/2017 12:23 PM

I hope Senator Cruz, et.al. manage to squeeze that one into a really busy Congressional Session, and pass it, but I hold out no particular hope.

In reply to #37

01/04/2017 12:21 PM

All Patents also have an expiration date. Hmm....

In reply to #42

01/04/2017 12:33 PM

Yes. Bell Telephone maintained due diligence in enforcing their patent on the telephone until it expired. Then other companies were able to jump on it. It made the difference between only the rich and companies having telephones, to having everyone getting to have a telephone in their homes.

In reply to #42

01/04/2017 1:50 PM

Not really.

Just look at the scumbags in big pharma.

When their patents get long in the tooth, Poof!

Three Sleazy Moves Pharmaceutical Companies Use to Extend Patents

Strategies for Extending the Life of Patents | BioPharm International

Zombie patents | The Economist

We should have killed all the lawyers when it was first suggested by Shakespeare.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #56

01/04/2017 1:54 PM

I'm inclined to think people would live longer if they just got rid of the Pharmaceutical Companies. They aren't there to cure people, they are there to create repeat customers.

In reply to #57

01/04/2017 2:41 PM

I agree.

Big pharma is kinda like Congress in reverse.

They just want repeat terms for life with no new customers.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #56

01/05/2017 9:07 AM

We are the lawyers...resistance is futile! Unplug the forkers, and they will not be able to find their way to the courthouse if their in-car navigation dies.

The only thing better than 40 lawyers at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean with no air, is a life raft full of more lawyers on the heads of more lawyers, on the heads of more lawyers, and its all lawyers down from there to the bottom, and the life raft is sinking.

The only thing better than that is lawyer expiration date 4 years after getting out of law school. Then they have to go have their brain removed and scrubbed, replaced with a dog brain, except I would not torture a dog like that.

01/05/2017 9:47 AM

This has gone into the political gutter.

<UNSUBSCRIBE>

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #63

01/05/2017 11:04 AM

I am in pain, and I want you to suffer with me.

In reply to #64

01/05/2017 11:01 PM

House GOP, Trump team hatch border wall plan with YOUR tax dollars!

"The plan is an implicit acknowledgment by Republicans and the incoming administration that Mexico will not pay for the border wall — a promise from Trump that was always viewed skeptically. Instead, American tax dollars will."

How's that builder of great walls lookin' to you now?

There's more but, you're not well so I'll save that for later.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #67

01/06/2017 12:03 PM

I don't mind at all, even if it only keeps out just one stinking murderous thug! Do you have a problem with that?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Andrew Westman (2); gutmonarch (2); James Stewart (16); Janissaries (7); lyn (14); phoenix911 (21); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (5)

Previous in Forum: FreeCell   Next in Forum: NASA's Virtual Telescope: CANYVAL-X

Advertisement