Previous in Forum: Nano-sized Piezo electric crystal   Next in Forum: Renewable energy when wanted
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Active Contributor

Cellulosic Ethanol/Biofuel

09/04/2007 9:07 AM

What is cellulosic ethanol? How is it manufactured? How does it compare with other types of Ethanol? Whom should I contact regarding research in this area of alternative fuels? Will it be financially feasible to produce cellulosic ethanol as an alternative to carbon fuels? Any information regarding Cellulosic Ethanol will be sincerely appreciated.

Best wishes

Professor Dhiru V Soni

(Geography & Development Studies)

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Cellulosic Ethanol Research
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Cellulosic Ethanol/Biofuel

09/05/2007 5:35 AM

I saw a presentation earlier this year by SRI Consulting that you might find of use. I think it was called Biofuels Overview. They seem to have a variety of other reports on Biofuels as well. http://www.sriconsulting.com

RJ

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

09/05/2007 6:19 AM

Dear RJ

Thank you most sincerely for your response. Will contact the web addressee. Will keep you informed.

Best wishes

Professor Dhiru V Soni

Register to Reply
Commentator
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member United States - Member - New Member

09/05/2007 8:31 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosic_ethanol

The wikipedia entry is a good overview. The references and external links have some good, more in depth resources.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

09/06/2007 2:58 AM

Dear Butcher

Thanks. Wikipedia was quite informative.

Best wishes

DVS

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

09/05/2007 12:01 PM

LOL. How much energy do the chemicals, which are used to process the cellulose, use to produce, e.g. ammonia? Cellulose is essentially a backward twisted starch, which makes it relatively biologically unavailable. Couldn't we use the cellulose from corn stalks to produce the heat for fermenting and distilling corn staches/sugars into ethanol (or sugar cane instead of corn, or most any plant).

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14

09/05/2007 12:13 PM

Ethanol=Ethyl Alcohol= C2H5(OH)

What is it?

The main knocking/intoxicating part of strong drinks-Rum,Whiskey,Gin,Vodka,Brandy--. Also 5%~ in most Beers. Mixes any amount with bloodstream, numbs the brain. Many love it!

What is cellulosic Ethanol?—

Hydrolyzed out of Cellulose—Wood,Bamboo, Switchgrass,Algae,grains(barley,rice,potatoes,Sugar waste--

1 ton wood /1.6Tons potatoes/0.6Ton Rice/barley yields~160Kg Ethyl Alcohol

The Scots make Whiskey from Barley they grow, Poles /Irish from Potatoes, Brazil from Amazon forest and the French make Brandy from their grapes. Rest is Marketing!

How other forms of Ethanol produced?Hydration of Ethylene-a petroleum Cracked Product

As Post Iraq Petroleum prices and hence Ethylene shot through the roof,Cellulosic Ethanol is coming back to stay:

As a Motor Fuel.Petrol(gasoline) mix additive.US Grain producers got a windfall price out of their pig-feed Maize when Bush allowed 15% mix with petrol.

So also Maharashtra Sugar Country.

Compare with other Ethanols: For IC encine- all Ethanols will do. For Humans-most will kill-unless trace poisons are removed.

Can all(Petro--Hydro--) Carbon fuels be replaced by Cellulosic Ethanol in IC Engines? Yes, but what will animals including humans eat?

Rest you already got-right? Enough for now!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

09/05/2007 1:39 PM

I am not positive on the variation to ethanol, but when I first read about about the process in regards to biodiesel. They genetically engineered a strain of the E-Coli bacteria to attack the carbohydrates in the leftover stalks of sugar cane after harvesting. Recently, I've heard they're using an (I think) enzyme from termites to do the same process. The concept is suppose to work on any available crop or grass.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #6

09/06/2007 3:03 AM

Dear Sonav Sunsets

You are correct. The Rite Group from Japan and the Khosla Ventures Group from the USA have done some pioneering work in respect of Termite enzymes.

Regards

DVS

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

09/05/2007 2:19 PM

Have a look at the website below. They have some information about the process and what it is.

http://www.iogen.ca/

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #7

09/06/2007 3:04 AM

Dear Guest

Thank you for the reference.

Best wishes

DVS

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #10

09/06/2007 3:40 AM

Some other questions regarding the cellulosic ethanol! It seems that there are a few companies/organisations that have already commissioned the manufacture of cellulosic ethanol using "switch grass" as an alternative to sugar cane or maize (food crops). How much of switch grass would one require (tonnage) in order to produce a 100 million litres of etanol? What would the cost of such an enterprise (manufacturing plant) cost? I would sincerely appreciate some dialogue regarding these questions

Best wishes

Professor Dhiru V soni

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

10/23/2007 9:08 PM

Hi I have attended a very informative conference recently by a orgainiser CMT. understand that recently they are organising the Americia sugar trade and ethanol conference in miami and a bio ethanol conference in Geneva. I have attended a few of their conferences and its good. http://www.cmtevents.com/

sin yim

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #12

10/24/2007 2:31 AM

Thank you for your input. I believe another "technology" for the production of ethanol is on the rise - algae pond cultures". How does this new technology compare with production from traditional crops such as sugar cane and maize? Is it feasible, especially in the context of reducing carbon emissions and cost factors?

Regards and best wishes

Dhiru V Soni

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); Butcher (1); MUKULMAHANT (1); Sonave Sunsets (1); sonidv (6)

Previous in Forum: Nano-sized Piezo electric crystal   Next in Forum: Renewable energy when wanted

Advertisement