Previous in Forum: A "Hot" Drink   Next in Forum: VFD Input Fuses Blew, Suggestions?
Close
Close
Close
38 comments
Active Contributor

Methods Of Vegetation Control in 132/11 KV Substations In India

12/20/2017 1:26 AM

Dear friends,

Can I get information on methods of vegetation control in 132/11 KV substations in India apart from use of gravel and periodic manual cutting of plants. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these methods. These methods shall be permitted by authorities / rules.

Thanks

Sreenivasan

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: methods of vegetation control in 132/11 KV substations in India

12/20/2017 1:33 AM

Try goats.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783
In reply to #1

12/20/2017 1:49 AM

Oh boy, roast cabrito!

In reply to #1

12/20/2017 10:39 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #7

12/20/2017 10:52 AM

I agree that it was not, but I don't see exactly 5 people marking you OT in this short a time. Are you sure you didn't do it by accident?

In reply to #8

12/20/2017 11:18 AM

I'm as sure about that as I can be. But I suppose anything is possible.

Having owned goats back on the farm, I can attest to their ability to control vegetation.

They also are tasty when bar-b-q'd. We raised beef cattle, so the goats were mostly safe.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269
In reply to #7

12/20/2017 1:39 PM

I too, know how well goats or sheep can control vegetation. G.A. from me. As for Tornado's reply, yes when cooked right, hmmmmm!

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #7

12/21/2017 1:11 AM

1. www.noble.com

2. B & T cattle, Corona California

3. The Kerr center for controllable agricultural.

4. Southwest Badger R C & D

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

12/21/2017 12:06 AM

Fit them with boots with EH soles and you will be set.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

12/20/2017 5:19 AM

Click here

Good Answers: 245
In reply to #3

12/20/2017 11:01 PM

I know for sure that I'm not the only one who deeply questions the use of complex synthetic chemicals for killing anything, including weeds. I think Roundup and its relatives should be banned, except perhaps for use by highly trained professionals (and I suspect that most pest control personnel don't fit that category).

Sure, they are effective and cheaper than most other methods of control in the short run, but what are we doing to our only planet and its inhabitants? Mr. Musk has no time to lose in getting a colony started on Mars!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

12/20/2017 6:00 AM

Please provide a link to the <...methods...> permitted in <...India...> by the <...rules...>.

12/20/2017 6:56 AM

Thanks TonyS. Any other methods ?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #5

12/20/2017 7:07 AM

The forum needs to know the answer to #4⇑ before valid help can be provided:

• Under what <...rules...> does this particular substation operate?

Good Answers: 1751

Re: Methods Of Vegetation Control in 132/11 KV Substations In India

12/20/2017 10:59 AM

Get workers from the local prisons to clear the vegetation....free labor, or at least cheap...

https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21718897-idaho-prisoners-roast-potatoes-kentucky-they-sell-cattle-prison-labour

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

12/20/2017 1:17 PM

Vegetation growth should not be at all a problem in the slow growth of Thar.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

12/20/2017 1:36 PM

Hold on, before we go any further are we talking growth of grass, weeds and plants on the ground in the substation, or trees and other large vegetation outside the substation growing over the substation boundary?

Can you post an example photo of the problem?

In reply to #12

12/20/2017 1:42 PM

Thanks. we talking growth of grass, weeds and plants on the ground in the substation.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #14

12/20/2017 1:53 PM

I have no experience with Indian Substations in particular myself but others might, so they may do things differently in India.

Is this a full-scale utility substation or some small private substation dedicated to a factory or similar?

What sort of ground surface do you currently have now? Grass and weed growth inside the substation footprint seems to indicate a dirt surface with concrete pads supporting the equipment.

If this is the case and resurfacing the substation with gravel is not an option then you are left with implementing a routine vegetation maintenance control program and possibly regular poisoning of the ground with plant killer. That or possibly approved livestock to keep the vegetation growth under control, as others have mentioned (which local regulations may, possibly actually allow).

In reply to #14

12/20/2017 5:45 PM

Roundup is the best stuff....kills the best, lasts the longest...

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #17

12/20/2017 11:40 PM

Unfortunately, in my location Roundup only feeds blackberrys. It knocked off a few but the rest kept growing over my back sheds and flattened them. What else can be used (in Victoria, Australia.?)

In reply to #23

12/21/2017 2:03 AM

In reply to #31

12/21/2017 6:08 AM

Thank you for your input Solar Eagle, all this looks good (attachments) I have done the reporting thing, several years ago, the powers that be came and sprayed the creek (behind my sheds) and that killed everything in the creek.....Blackberry's, bulrushes, grass, and other self sown stuff like plum trees. I asked for the name of whatever they use, so I could use it myself on the remaining berrys on my land. No reply was the answer. So there it is. There is something that will slaughter anything, but not for use by land holders..... Bugger !!.

In reply to #32

12/21/2017 1:04 PM

"Results have shown that it is best to first apply glyphosate or metsulfuron or a mixture of both to substantially reduce the area of the infestation then treat any remaining plants the following seasons with picloram + triclopyr treatments."

They probably didn't know what they were using.....been my experience....

In reply to #32

12/21/2017 1:18 PM

Depending on the weed killer being used you may need a license.

Pest Control Licensing in Australia

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

12/21/2017 1:56 PM

In reply to #35

12/21/2017 10:30 PM

Thanks again Solar Eagle, I will approach the council again and see if they are prepared to do something to help. Then when that fails (as it usually does), I will try the lands dept. and ask the same question. When that fails, I will ask what licence is needed for me to do it myself. That alone should get some eyebrows raised, as you sent the URL of some pretty dangerous stuff, I will quote some of those names. I would almost expect them to be at my place working before I arrive there myself.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

12/20/2017 4:35 PM

Our local municipality has started contracting with a local goatherd for vegetation control, instead of using chemicals. It's simply amazing how fast and thorough they are! They eat the plants right down to the roots, stunting their ability to re-grow and if used on a regular enough basis, eventually the roots are starved of sufficient energy to survive and the plants cease to continue.

Goats also eat the amazingly persistent Blackberries we have around here and a local site that had been a favorite dump for drive-by slobs was recently cleared of Blackberries to reveal an entire 1968 Ford Cougar buried in them! The City auctioned it off and got about $2000 for it. Poison Oak is another noxious plant we have around here and something that vexes me (because I am highly allergic), so I am especially appreciative of the goats making short work of that too.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

12/20/2017 7:39 PM

Roundup... the ultimate partner in chemical and biological warfare. Monsanto makes it (glyphosphate) to basically kill almost all plants, now ALSO makes and sells genetically modified seeds that it DOESN'T kill!

Glyphosphate is a chemical listed in many places as dangerous to humans and our reproductive systems, but is now showing up in blood samples of almost all Americans.

In reply to #18

12/20/2017 8:00 PM

I have a real problem believing that this poison has no detrimental effect of humans who are in constant contact with it when spraying millions of acres of crops with it.

SE and I have debated this before, to no agreement.

Business Day, March 2017: Monsanto Weed Killer Roundup Faces New Doubts on Safety in ...

It is Monsanto’s flagship product, and industry-funded research has long found it to be relatively safe.

The court documents included Monsanto’s internal emails and email traffic between the company and federal regulators. The records suggested that Monsanto had ghostwritten research that was later attributed to academics and indicated that a senior official at the Environmental Protection Agency had worked to quash a review of Roundup’s main ingredient, glyphosate, that was to have been conducted by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

12/20/2017 10:50 PM

"The WHO and FAO Joint committee on pesticide residues issued a report in 2016 confirming that the use of glyphosate formulations does not constitute a health risk and also gave admissible daily intake limits for chronic toxicity.[16] ...

Roundup or glyphosate, is the most widely used herbicide in the world...I've used it for years, it's the only thing that works well here in Florida, where grass can grow an inch a day...Millions of people have used it for years and swear by it....No toxicity has ever been found if properly used....

Read it for yourself....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

In reply to #20

12/20/2017 11:03 PM

Granted, it will stay in use because it works. I don't use it, by choice.

Proper use is hard to control and asbestos was also used for many, many years and considered safe, until it wasn't.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #22

12/24/2017 7:24 PM

Recent research identified a new concern - effects of herbicide on antibiotic resistance. Quite possibly another contributing effect in the rise of multidrug resistance in agricultural settings. Not only glyphosate but other herbicides are also implicated. This is a new subject afaik so will take years before the research is replicated, published and starts to be considered in the evaluation of herbicide use.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/us-weather/antibiotic-resistance-linked-common-herbicides-study-/90010/

http://mic.microbiologyresearch.org/content/journal/micro/10.1099/mic.0.000573

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #19

12/21/2017 1:20 AM

Why debate it ?

How about going to hospitals where actual patients exist, doing an interview and getting their permission to post their stories here on this page.

You Know, they say the proof is in the pudding.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 17

12/20/2017 11:43 PM

Very hot dilute vinegar and salt. Pour on plant after cutting back.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #24

12/21/2017 12:01 AM

Thanks Phaddy, I'll give it a try later on when it's safe to venture near them. Summer at the moment and the "joe blakes" are a little too active.

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #25

12/21/2017 12:09 AM

Go for it sport! Pretend it's bodyline to the Poms.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #27

12/21/2017 12:32 AM

good idea blokes. If I think of the cricket there will be no fear at all....

Go for the clean sheet Oz...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

12/24/2017 7:12 PM

Another popular alternative to herbicides is to cover the area with silage tarp for 6-8 weeks (or more ) during summer heat. Two months of heat and cover will kill weeds and seeds in the top layer of soil.

For the OP, where the soil is not going to be disturbed eg by tilling, the weed kill produced by tarping should last quite a long time at least until weed seeds blow in. (Tilling can bring viable seeds to the surface if the weed seed bank is extensive).

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (2); dkwarner (1); jack of all trades (2); Jacko the Aus (5); JPool (1); JRaef (2); lyn (6); Mikerho (1); Phaddy (2); PWSlack (2); redfred (1); SolarEagle (6); sreenivasan1962 (2); tonyhemet (2); TonyS (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: A "Hot" Drink   Next in Forum: VFD Input Fuses Blew, Suggestions?

Advertisement