Previous in Forum: Solar - Point of Common Coupling   Next in Forum: 3-Phase Power Design. WHY?
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Participant

PLC Selection

01/24/2018 7:58 AM

Hey I'm building a mini project and need some help please. I want to control a linear actuator which can be 12V DC or 24V DC through an RFID system which I have access to. I need to select a suitable PLC to pull it all together and am unsure what exact specifications the PLC will have to meet such as of I/O's, Memory, Communications etc. This is my first time working with PLC's so any help would be appreciated. I intend on writing the code using Omron

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: PLC Selection

01/24/2018 8:20 AM

<...writing the code using Omron...> Well, that pre-selects that particular manufacturer's equipment.

The first step is to write, in whatever native language is applicable, a Control Philosophy document, which will describe exactly what is intended to be carried out, and which will refer to other documents that are part of the overall design. Be certain to define abbreviations before using them: <...RFID...>, for example, has 6 meanings.

Asking for help on PLC selection before the above activity takes place would seem a little premature.

Power-User

Good Answers: 13

01/24/2018 11:26 AM

According to your explanation, I understand that you have one digital input and one digital output.

You can connect the input to the output using just a relay for about 1$.

An Omron PLC costs about 1000$.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

01/24/2018 1:25 PM

It looks like the simplest entry level PLC would do the trick. A Microcontroller kit like the Arduino would also work at much less cost. Both solutions still need the RFID functionality added.

Can you provide more details?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #3

01/24/2018 4:46 PM

I bet if OP were to search "Arudino RFID applications with linear actuator", he/she would get a plethora or even a multitude of returns.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #4

01/24/2018 5:36 PM

Not a googleplex of them, then?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #5

01/25/2018 1:33 PM

No, that only happens in Britain...

01/26/2018 2:13 AM

Hi, 2 points of my opinion, hope it can help you:

1. RFID system communication protocol, it is necessary to support the communication with PLC, such as R422 or 485.
2. According to the requirements of the design, selected PLC which conforms to Communication specification, the PLC the I/O number of this PLC must have 5% margin, or the PLC havs the extension module function.
Lucy

In reply to #7

01/26/2018 10:18 AM

Thanks for putting that out there, Lucy! Cheers!

01/28/2018 8:41 AM

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the help. A quick update the idea of the linear actuator is to control the heights of my dual monitors at my work station. I am designing it for a hot desk of sorts so when different people go to use the particular work station they just have to tap their card and the monitors will adjust to their predefined heights. I have acquired an Omron PLC which can be found at:

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/60962b9e59157253668f2fbca6974dbc.pdf

Secondly my RFID system to work in conjunction with the PLC is:

http://www.edata.omron.com.au/eData/RFID/Z249-E1-11.pdf (V2)

The idea is that every new employee undergoes an ergonomic assessment when hired which will allow for specific heights at which the monitor should be positioned at- roughly in the top third of the screen. The next step is to begin connecting these two devices, and then coding the overall system

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #9

01/28/2018 10:59 PM

Have viewed your hard-work, your idea looks great!

In reply to #9

01/31/2018 11:57 AM

The CPM2A is an older plc but still a good one. It uses the older CX-ONE software that is pretty easy and backwards compatible. The newer NX1P is a fairly inexpensive "Brick" with expansion capabilities and uses the SysmacStudio software which is IEEE-61131 compliant, as well as EtherCat and motion control.

http://www.ia.omron.com/products/family/3650/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

daveoliver (1); Ivanov327950 (1); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (3); Lucy.cao (2); PWSlack (2); ronanr (1)

Previous in Forum: Solar - Point of Common Coupling   Next in Forum: 3-Phase Power Design. WHY?

Advertisement