Previous in Forum: Torque Calculation   Next in Forum: JWST: 7 Years Later, Still a Disaster
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

Fun with Math ... on the Moon!

03/26/2018 7:05 PM

Something to fill your lonely hours: you are standing on the Moon (radius 1079 miles). How far away is the horizon? What other information is needed to get the answer? Extra point: can you give an expression for the horizon distance as a function of one factor?

This is the kind of thing that comes to me in bed. See what you can do in your head without paper and pen. I figured out a method, but had to write it out to get the actual number.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: math Moon
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 151

Re: Fun with Math..on the Moon!

03/26/2018 7:39 PM

The horizon is the distance where your line of sight is tangent to the surface. Thus you have a right triangle where one side is the radius of the surface, the other side is the distance to the horizon (the unknown), and the hypotenuse is the sum of the radius and the height of your eye above the surface. Thus the distance can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. Given the radius is known, the only variable is the height of your eye

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1046
In reply to #1

03/26/2018 9:03 PM

Even simpler, your height = h, distance to horizon = d, and radius of the moon = r.

By similar triangles:

h/d = d/r

d=sqrt(h*r)

This is a good approximation unless you are very tall...

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

03/26/2018 9:09 PM

d = [(h/63,360 + 1079)2 - 10792]1/2; where h is eyeball height in feet and d is horizon distnce in miles. I believe there is an approximation equal to a number x √h.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

03/26/2018 9:44 PM

Sorry, my dreams are about the girls I didn't get a chance to date

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #4

03/27/2018 2:43 AM

In reply to #4

03/27/2018 1:04 PM

Oh my, she is my dream girl too. Burt Reynolds was a lucky man who really screwed up!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

03/27/2018 2:41 AM

This is an opportunity to put the versine formula, used in railway track radius calculations, into action.

• versine = (chord)2/(8*radius), which is derived from Pythagoras and very nearly correct, and probably satisfactory given that the Moon isn't completely spherical.

One's height is the versine. The chord is twice the distance to the horizon. The radius is given. Into the calculator and "Robert is your mother's brother" - Anonymous poster #0.

Beware, though. Anyone building a railway on the Moon needs to put on about 6 times as much cant into a curve than for the same curve on Earth, otherwise the train will probably derail to the outside of the curve.

03/27/2018 1:22 PM

I am having a senior moment. Using Gringogreg and Pwslack's approachs I get d=sqrt(2h*r), but Rixter's answer of d=sqrt(h*r) also seems correct. What am I missing?!?!

Register to Reply
Guru

03/27/2018 1:38 PM

The internet answer of 8124 ft appears to support d=sqrt(2h*r). Somehow Rixter's approach has a flaw, but damn if I can see it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 293
In reply to #9

03/28/2018 5:48 AM

Assume the angle subtended by d is ß then the two angles at the chord are (90-½ß)

tan(ß) = d/R

and tan(½ß) = h/d

For these small angles tan(2x) = 2tan(x)

so d/R = 2h/d

d² = 2Rh

In other words his triangles aren't similar.

Good Answers: 151

03/27/2018 2:31 PM

Just as an aside: By "distance" I assumed that SSCpal was referring to the linear distance as the line of sight. However we can also take the "distance" as the distance along the circumference of the surface, the distance that one would have to travel to the horizon.

Knowing the 3 sides of the right triangle, the inverse cos of r/(r+h) expressed in radians would give this dimension

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

03/27/2018 6:01 PM

How 'approximate' do you want?

Typically on Earth at sea level the horizon is said to be 7 miles away. Since we're dealing with small angles, linear approximations are reasonably good. So since the Moon's radius is about 1/4th the Earth's radius, then the horizon on the Moon would be about 1/4 the distance as it is on Earth.

Thus, 1/4 of 7 miles is 7/4ths = 1.75 miles. If I want it in feet, then doing a rough approximation in my head 3/4ths of 5000 feet (rounding a miles to the nearest 1000s) is 3250; so 1 mile + 3/4 miles would be about 5000 + 3250 = 8250 feet, approximately. Maybe a bit more since I rounded the feet down; call it 8500 feet.

Good Answers: 284

03/27/2018 6:05 PM

Computing the distance to the horizon on the Moon could avoid or minimize some of the influences affecting similar calculations for horozons

Nothing like looming to be concerned with, as there is no atmosphere to speak of (or with for that matter).

Also, far less equatorial bulge to contend with.

However there is no body of water ob the moon to occassionally provide a smooth surface.

Anyone know a simple model for relating surface roughness and scale to the horizon distance calc?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269

03/27/2018 6:05 PM

I would just walk, count my paces, until I fell off. Wait, this isn't a flat earth post? Damn....

Good Answers: 3

03/28/2018 8:46 AM

fast calc: D=1.17 * sqrt(h)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

03/28/2018 10:05 AM

Don, What are the units in your equation? How did you derive it?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 153

Re: Fun with Math ... on the Moon!

03/28/2018 1:03 PM

Lots of answers based on math formula and all of them useless! Calculating horizon distance assumes that the horizon is at mean sea level and you know the observer's height above mean sea level. The mean radius of the moon is 1079 miles but actually over 98% of the surface is above or below that height. For instance if you were standing on Mons Huygens, the highest mountain on the moon, with an elevation of 3.4 miles, and you did the calculations based on 3.4 miles high you would not get the correct answer because it stands on a plateau which itself is over 1 mile high. If you were standing in the centre of the crater Picard Y which is approximately round with a diameter of 2.48 miles your horizon would be 1.24 miles away. But if you were standing at the edge of Picard Y your horizon in one direction may be less than 20 yards and in the opposite direction 2.48 miles.

So the correct answer is INDETERMINATE as the formulae cannot be applied in this instance.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dj95401 (1); Don Blashka (1); gringogreg (2); jhhassociates (1); JPool (1); PWSlack (2); Randall (1); Rixter (1); SSCpal (4); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Torque Calculation   Next in Forum: JWST: 7 Years Later, Still a Disaster

Advertisement