CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Antique Kochs Barber Chair Won't Raise or Lower   Next in Forum: Skype Problem
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

Alien Life in the Clouds of Venus?

04/12/2018 11:23 AM

I came across this interesting article on Astronomy.com and thought I would pass it along. It's interesting thinking about all the different places life could exist. As inhospitable as Venus is, it turns out its clouds could have life.

Here is a link to the article

Could alien life be hiding in the clouds of Venus?

In a paper published March 30 in the journal Astrobiology, an international team of researchers suggests that the thick and acidic atmosphere of Venus may actually serve as a potential safe haven for microbial life. In the hypothesis paper, they not only present multiple lines of evidence showing the Venusian clouds could harbor extreme forms of life, but also show that airborne life on Venus would help explain the fluctuating appearance of the planet’s clouds — a mystery that has plagued astronomers for nearly a century.

Although scientists have debated the habitability of Venus’ atmosphere for many decades — Carl Sagan co-authored a paper on the topic in 1963 — our sister world is often still ignored as a target for astrobiological research. This is primarily because the surface of Venus is now almost undoubtedly inhospitable to life, sporting temperatures of over 860 degrees Fahrenheit (450 Celsius) and surface pressures about 90 times greater than those found on Earth. However, despite the fact that Venus is now a hellish landscape (largely due to a runaway greenhouse effect), at one point, the planet looked a lot more like Earth does today.

“Venus had plenty of time to evolve life on its own,” said lead author Sanjay Limaye, a planetary scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Space Science and Engineering Center, in a press release. In fact, previous research suggests that Venus could have once maintained a habitable climate with liquid water on its surface for as long as 2 billion years. “That’s much longer than is believed to have occurred on Mars,” he said. This would have allowed life to initially form on the surface of Venus (when the toxic planet looked more like present-day Earth) before eventually migrating up into the Venusian clouds.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 724

Re: Alien Life in the Clouds of Venus?

04/12/2018 1:30 PM

Good Answers: 25

04/12/2018 4:18 PM

Sipping too much Sci-Fi "kool-aid" lately?

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi

Good Answers: 29

04/12/2018 4:47 PM

Doesn't necessarily seem to be completely far-fetched. If Venus originally supported life, perhaps as it changed to its present form that life was forced into zones in the atmosphere where it was still habitable.

If you want to read a ripping sci-fi yarn that takes this idea quite a bit further, try Iain M Banks 'The Algebraist': https://www.iain-banks.net/uk/the-algebraist/

Banks imagined an advanced race of gas-giant 'dwellers' with a highly-developed technological civilisation and a secret technology that became the most sought-after thing in the galaxy.

Good Answers: 636

04/12/2018 5:49 PM

Earth conditions are just right for Earth life. Either life is only here because the conditions are right, or maybe life here has adapted to the conditions here, and life elsewhere will someday be found to have adapted to conditions there.

An example is extremophile bacteria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 131

04/12/2018 7:34 PM

I wonder if Venus will ever return to a habitable condition. Certainly it's possible for extremophiles as we have on earth to survive in the cloud conditions. This makes me think about how life changes the atmosphere of planets, and whether Venus could be seeded with the right microbes to make the place more hospitable... eventually.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 184

04/12/2018 11:55 PM

As much as I would like alien life to exist, I believe there is nothing to this.

I once read a book about how life evolved on a neutron star. Wild!

I believe that there are two things that are necessary in order for life to exist and progress: 1) The raw materials, and 2) An Intelligence to tell them what to do.

Good Answers: 636
In reply to #6

04/13/2018 6:30 PM

I once read a book about how life evolved on a neutron star. Wild!

Good book, I read it too. Love hard science SF, ala Robert Forward, Larry Niven, Arthur Clark, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Egg

I suspect there may be many forms of life, most of which we would not even recognize, that have adapted to live near some energy source.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #6

04/13/2018 8:41 PM

".... I believe that there are two things that are necessary in order for life to exist and progress: 1) The raw materials, and 2) An Intelligence to tell them what to do....."

Curious.

First: what is the 'progress' of life you reference?

Second: you seem to be suggesting intelligence can and ultimately must have preceeded life. Have you observed dynamic intelligence which was not at least initiated by life?

Good Answers: 84

04/12/2018 11:57 PM

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

04/13/2018 3:51 AM

Were this to become verified then logically the implication is that life would be actually rather more abundant in the universe than currently believed.

04/13/2018 7:22 AM

It would be good to drop the word <...Alien...>. Belonging. Togetherness. Respect...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); artsmith (1); JE in Chicago (1); Mikerho (1); Paulusgnome (1); PWSlack (3); Rixter (2); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Antique Kochs Barber Chair Won't Raise or Lower   Next in Forum: Skype Problem

Advertisement