CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: General Inquiry   Next in Forum: Entire Neighborhood Loses Garage Door/Key Fob Use
Close
Close
Close
64 comments
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 280

Top Ten Sci-Fi Films

06/06/2018 3:20 PM

Right about ten years ago CR4 had a thread about our opinions regarding just what makes a good science fiction movie.

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/21881/What-Are-The-Top-10-SciFi-Movies#newcomments

So, with new fodder from the last decade, what say you? With new talent, CGI, reboots, and so on, what are the ‘best’ films today? Sticking with Forbidden Planet and War of the Worlds?

A few of my still favorites: 2001: A Space Odyssey. Silent Running. Terminator. HHGG. Barbarella (just because, that’s why).

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1218

Re: Top Ten Sci-Fi Films

06/06/2018 3:52 PM

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Prometheus

War of the Worlds

Jurassic Park

The Time Machine

Red Dwarf....not really a movie, but if you binge watch it, pretty much the same

Just off the top of my head, in no particular order....

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #1

06/06/2018 4:17 PM

Never really could wrap my head around the Planet of the Apes. Seems to be quite a bit we are asked to simply accept- time travel possible, this vessel was capable, the evolution thing, only selected technologies...

Avatar has a pretty similar issue, but I enjoyed that one.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #3

06/10/2018 7:30 PM

I don't recall any time travel in the first one.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 802
In reply to #53

06/10/2018 9:14 PM

You weren't supposed to notice.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 802

06/06/2018 4:11 PM

The recent SciFi movie that just blew me away was "Arrival". The way this movie beautifully portrayed the complications of first contact is nothing short of brilliant. Then there's how time was presented that made me immediately watch a second showing... WOW!

There certainly have been many highly entertaining SciFi movies (all Star Wars and their space western kin, "Ex Machina", "The Martian") in the past decade but none others worthy of dislodging earlier favorites.

The other fiction movie involving a lot of science that blew me away in the past decade was "Contagion". I don't consider this a SciFi movie but some might. Nonetheless how this movie accurately portrayed how a lethal pandemic can manifest is brilliant. What many who watched this movie didn't grasp is how much cross-contamination and pathogen exposure happens normally but since the pathogen is not a mortal disease we just cope. (Coincidentally this movie also warps time, but only to tell the story.)

In reply to #2

06/06/2018 4:35 PM

I agree that the Star Wars universe is entertaining (releases now stand at, what, 113 films with more scheduled).

Arrival certainly sounds like one to watch. Thanks for the review and advice.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #5

06/06/2018 5:22 PM

Wait! What? I thought I've seen all 112 of them, and now you say there is a 113th!?...

Oh no... this is terrible... I can't possibly have missed one, can I?... Arrrrrrrgh...

In reply to #9

06/06/2018 8:33 PM

Uh oh, missed one?

Get thee to thine local Redbox!

Stephen King ‘The Stand’ is categorized as a horror/fantasy, but an amount of science and a heaping helping of fiction are the components of science fiction. Read the book thrice, saw the miniseries twice.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #5

06/07/2018 8:34 AM

Yes, definitely see Arrival. Very solid Sci-Fi Movie!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 634
In reply to #2

06/06/2018 7:30 PM

I had the complete opposite reaction. I thought 'Arrival' was one of the worst movies I'd seen in a long time.

To each his own, as they say.

In reply to #13

06/07/2018 9:29 AM

I agree, hated it...

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #2

06/07/2018 8:55 AM

I also enjoyed Arrival. And Contagion is one of my favorite movies. I liked the way it weaved together different subplots--the political end of the vaccine, the huckster selling a proven "cure," the doctor who goes to ground zero only to succumb to the disease, the father dealing with his wife's infidelity (which was key to the pandemic) and death from the pandemic. And yeah, the ending was and still is terrifying to think about.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #2

06/07/2018 3:08 PM

I come down in favor of Arrival, but I think it's more a parable in part about how humans jump to wrong conclusions when they're motivated by fear.

Which brings me to The Day the Earth Stood Still, which I first saw as a little kid, maybe age six. I loved sci-fi then and to me that was sci-fi. Now that I'm all growed up it's a message film, like Arrival.

Among newer films I enjoyed the Martian a lot. Star Wars, sure, but I'm still upset about offing Harrison Ford Han Solo.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1617

06/06/2018 4:33 PM

The new stuff isn't for me. But I admit I don't watch many movies any more, even on TV.

Poltergeist, The Thing, The old Day The Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, On The Beach are still keepers that I watch when they come up.

Then there's the new The Lone Ranger that, for fun, is a good watch. Johnny Depp made it for me.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

06/06/2018 4:47 PM

Oh, that reminds me...

Predator, and his three sequels

Alien, and her five sequels and prequels

Then, we have Alien versus Predator

And the best of all, Alien AND Predator versus Chuck Norris.

That’s some SciFi right there for ya!

Good Answers: 26

06/06/2018 4:52 PM

original "War of the Worlds"

"Silent Running" (Hewy, Dewy & Louie)

first "Planet of the Apes"

"Andromeda Strain"

06/06/2018 5:06 PM

When the writers (killed-off), ''Ripley'', ''Newt'', and ''(Hudson?)'', that sequence became too (alien) for me...

Our Eloy bean-counters want more money to study the options, and our Morlock-lawyers want to study the legal ramifications of the selection process, so I'll have to get back to you at a later (Time)...

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 245

06/06/2018 6:11 PM

Arrival and Avatar, 2 of my favorites. If we are going older, "Tank Girl" is on my list.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 263

06/06/2018 6:54 PM

Spaceballs

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #11

06/07/2018 8:40 AM

That's a great movie. Every so often "Comb the Desert!" will pop into my head out of nowhere and make me chuckle. It's always the dumbest jokes that have staying power.

I also love Galaxy Quest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJsCE01LYI

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 263
In reply to #24

06/07/2018 12:10 PM

I like a good laugh. Jokes so bad, they're funny. Word play, parodies, dead-pan, . . . . hence my appreciation for the Python genre.

As a teen-ager, I liked movies that scared the crap out of me for that adrenaline rush, now I like the dopamine from a good laugh.

It used to be that I liked a movie's special effects, trying to figure out how they got 'that shot'. But now, with CGI being so good, and so convincing, it sort of has taken the 'fun' out of it.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

06/06/2018 7:27 PM

It's hard to remember all of the scifi I've seen over the years, but some stand out as excellent and memorable.

At the top of the list are two films from the 1950s: Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still. I'm not sure which one I'd put as #1, so they'll have to share top billing.

Others that will always be on my watch list are: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars (the 1977 original, without any of the later 'improvements' that actually made it worse), The Time Machine (1960), Mysterious Island (1961), Invasion of The Body Snatchers (1956), John Carter (2012), Destination Moon (1950), Pi (1998), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Iron Man (2008), Watchmen (2009), and Batman (the 1989 version with Michael Keaton).

I'll probably think of some more later.

Speaking of Michael Keaton, he was the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVvny-FxjA

Good Answers: 1617

06/06/2018 7:32 PM

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Zathura.

Night at the Museum.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #14

06/10/2018 11:59 AM

I agree with Night at the museum. Zathura was great however seemed too much like a cheap spacy copy of Jumanji. And The Hitchhikers books were much better than the movie. Just my opinion

Good Answers: 90

06/06/2018 8:14 PM

Gattaca is on the list.. hi

Idiocracy ... dystopian future ... Honorable mention

06/07/2018 1:46 AM

Among recent releases I'd say 2001 A Space Odyssey. But the first one I saw, "Them", still ranks as best.

Register to Reply
Power-User

06/07/2018 2:40 AM

I haven't seen the film but if it is anywhere near as good as the book then "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy has to be brilliant. I think this is described as post apocalyptic rather than sci fi but hey, worth a mention.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

06/07/2018 7:34 AM

Either a story based on possibilities of known science or something that is so far out that it has little credibility, so Barbraella is a definite winner. And for other reasons if you don't know why, don't ask. Other than that, Voyager of Star Fleet, Dr. Who and Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 11

06/07/2018 7:40 AM

I've got to throw a mention in here for "Star Trek II, the Wrath of Khan". I also enjoyed the first "Star Trek" reboot, but the ones that followed are not as good.

Honorable mentions to "Gravity" and "The Martian" (for the disco music!)

In reply to #20

06/07/2018 10:06 PM

I see “The Martian” with a number of mentions. I’ve been thinking “Saw it, it was okay”. However, I haven’t seen it- I am remembering Mission to Mars, 1 to 10 it gets about 6-1/2. I’ll check into The Martian.

”Wrath of Kahn”, best of the Star Trek movies hands down. TEN!

”The Fifth Element” - wildly entertaining, loved it. Give it a NINE.

”Weird Science”, I give it a Nine... just because, that’s why. (you know why)

”Edge of Tomorrow” tagline Live-Die-Repeat”. Haven’t seen it yet, but will soon!

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

06/07/2018 7:52 AM

What was that series where people could transport through a worm hole link back to earth on occasion? Seems the new world had its share of nasty animals as well.

And I can't remember if I've seen Forbidden Planet. What was that about?

Good Answers: 90
In reply to #21

06/07/2018 4:12 PM

The Time Tunnel..

Maybe not, but great OLD show.

In reply to #21

06/11/2018 5:19 AM

"Forbidden Planet" is a rework of Shakespeare's "The Tempest".

06/07/2018 8:33 AM

Not a movie but a show but The Expanse is incredible. Just really good Sci Fi. I guess my personal list off the top of my head at this moment would be:

Empire Strikes Back
The Wrath of Khan
The Matrix
Stargate
Serenity
Ex Machina
The Terminator
Jurassic Park
Planet of the Apes
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Though if I were to make the list tomorrow it might be different. I think the top five of my list though is pretty set for me.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - New Member

06/07/2018 8:57 AM

On my list:

-Children of Men

-Contact

-I Am Legend, despite its mangling of the source material

06/07/2018 9:41 AM

I would add Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow, both Tom Cruise movies....

In reply to #28

06/07/2018 10:13 AM

Edge of Tomorrow is great. You can pick that movie up at any point and rewatch it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 99

06/07/2018 10:17 AM

"Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets"

Highly recommendable for story, new ideas and action.

Good Answers: 27

06/07/2018 11:08 AM

Dr. Goldfoot and the bikini machine.

Blade runner

Cherry 2000

Logan's run

West world

Total recall

Godzilla vs Monster Zero

The blob

Weird science

Register to Reply
Guru

06/07/2018 11:08 AM

The Fifth Element. - Should have remember that one sooner.

Also Rocketman and Wild Wild West (the Will Smith movie), and the Men In Black movies.

And I've got to give props to the movie 'Serenity', the follow-up movie to the 'Firefly' TV series.

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #32

06/10/2018 6:28 AM

I suppose "The Fifth Element" must also be a favorite with me - I've watched it a dozen times.

...and "V for Vendetta" and "The Matrix" (original version only) ...., incidentally in which 'Agent Smith' played by Hugo Weaving - also played the leading role in V for Vendetta - except we never saw his face - it was always covered by a mask - and in a memorable early scene he faultlessly delivered the lengthy 'V word' monologue - remarkable to me

...also the original "1984". I saw it at the cinema when it first came out but can't say I have ever seen it on TV since....and saw it around the time "The Day the Earth Stood Still" first came out.

...and how about "Dark Star" an early low budget film about an' intelligent bomb' on board a space ship, ready primed to destroy a planet, where something goes wrong and the crew can't launch it, and have to talk to it with convincing logic in order not to detonate.

06/07/2018 12:14 PM

For the comedic portion of the Sci-Fi spectrum, my favorite is ''Godzilla vs the Smog Monster''

(He/She/It shows an environmentally sensitive(?) side, and figures out how to fly...)

06/07/2018 4:45 PM

What, not Mars attacks? So stupid it's funny. Lets not forget District 9, and of course all of the campy Japanese movies that we watched on those rainy Saturday afternoons when we couldn't be outside.

In reply to #37

06/07/2018 5:11 PM

District 9 - never heard of it. Checked it out on Wiki, I’ll be having a look, sounds like a good movie.

I watched Arrival last night, and I give a thumb up. Engaging film, to say the very least

In reply to #38

06/07/2018 7:21 PM

Yes, I liked Arrival, found the concept interesting. District 9 is one of those movies that you watch, and you say "there is something deeper in this movie, I need to watch it again". It is a sort of cross between Sci Fi and horror......

In reply to #38

06/08/2018 12:56 PM

Yes, ''District 9'' takes an interesting slant on Sci-Fi, but remember, ''Mommy'' doesn't have time enough to tell you everything...

Also, on a different tack, seek out ''The Forbin Project'', and wait for the asian sequel that must soon follow...

In reply to #43

06/08/2018 11:59 PM

Oh - my - goodness.

Well, I watched about 40 min of District 9, and that was enough.

I am a US Marine and this film turns my stomach. Sorry buddy, but this one scores a one. Not even going to finish it.

[edit] I went right to The Forbin Project, and the Dekatron tube and Nixie tube displays immediately grab me. Looks promising!

In reply to #46

06/11/2018 11:53 AM

Not all sci-fi is for all sci-fi fans...

I'm just glad we (still?...) have choices...

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #46

06/11/2018 8:55 PM

Whaaat!! US Marines must be getting soft.

District 9 is a great movie, I haven't found a South African who likes it yet - it's a bit close to home perhaps.

My other favourites are The Matrix, Contact and The Day of the Triffids.

There was another movie but I don't know the name of it, as it was some time ago 30years probably, which had a real electron microscope in it (I know because I had been using one almost identical to it around the same time). The alien life form grew whenever it received energy, so the electron beam didn't help.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 53
In reply to #60

06/12/2018 9:58 AM

I liked Chappie too, another S. African film that was very thought provoking.

In reply to #60

06/13/2018 5:26 PM

Marines getting soft? Hardly means that at all.

Perhaps I should have said A prior service Marine who has learned that the phrase “Be a part of something larger than yourself” in fact means being a part of the global (in this case, universal) whole, and the mindless butchery of sentient beings for the sake of field expedience is not always to be condoned. Kill ‘em all and let God sort ‘em out is not the universal answer; I lived it, I don’t enjoy watching it. That don’t make me soft, buddy.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #37

06/07/2018 9:57 PM

You can still watch Johnny Sacko & Giant Robot on Comet.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 185
In reply to #37

06/10/2018 8:00 AM

Yah! Me and my friend Jeff would watch godzilla movies and other such B-scify movies on Saturday afternoons - this was about 1967-1971.

06/08/2018 3:15 AM

Can't believe nobody has said this yet

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

06/08/2018 5:10 PM

Two si-fi movies that come to mind are the Fly and Frankenstein. I haven't been out to a movie for about 40 years. What I do see are on the TV. The two I listed are truly classics. I might also add the Terminator. Another is Ghostbusters.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 445

06/08/2018 6:17 PM

Failsafe, War Games, Andromeda Strain, Alien, Predator. They all deal with man's preoccupation with (incorrectly) thinking that we are in control, while the first three involve minor computer glitches that potentially lead to major screwups.

Good Answers: 7

06/10/2018 6:56 AM

Yeh, we know why Barbarella's in there.

Bazzer

Good Answers: 28

06/10/2018 12:02 PM

I'm still waiting for the CGI remake of The Toxic Avenger!

06/10/2018 6:10 PM

Here is something that will please many watching this thread.

Today in The Daily Dot, the paper reports that the internet movie service HULU rated “Planet of the Apes” (1968) as the #1 Best Classic Movie (regardless of genre) available on their service. Seems like the POTA fans here are pretty much vindicated. The only other SciFi on their top ten list: “RoboCop”.

The article goes onto explain that the only films ranked were those licensed to be streamed through HULU.

06/11/2018 5:15 AM

No mention of Men In Black yet.

Not great sci-fi, but, for entertainment value.

Good Answers: 53

06/11/2018 11:01 AM

I have to agree with most of these.

2001 at the top of course.

Arrival rocked but required a fair amount of brain power to follow.

The Second Aliens movie for sheer entertainment value. "were all gonna Die man!"

Original Predator for cool concept. again, fun to watch. "I ain't got time to bleed"

Got to have Enders Game in there. "In that moment that you understand your enemy, you love them, then you destroy them."

But no one mentioned Spaced Invaders. "Man, this is really stupid!" "And getting stupider by the minute."
Babylon 5 was not a movie per se, but unlike Star Trek or most others, it was a complete story from start to finish not an episodic weekly show. Things did not always wrap up neatly or happily at the end of the hour. Story lines that start in the first season don't finish until much later or those that run throughout the series like the Psicorps storyline, or Leta's. it was just too complex for most Americans to keep up with.
I have to give "Sleeping in the light" a nod for the most satisfying series ending episode I have ever watched.

Even better than "All Good Things" from STNG or even Breaking Bad.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

06/11/2018 12:51 PM

The Abyss. James Cameron put too much stuff in it, but you can't fault the great SFX. Find the DVD with all the "making of" extras. He is an extraordinary and passionate movie maker.

A.I. Too much stuff in this one too, but again great SFX. How we will interact with androids indistinguishable from us, and what might happen to the world in just 2000 years. And I cry at the end.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 7

06/12/2018 6:47 AM

One of the best films I watched was Raise the Titanic, long before the actual ship was found, the technicalities were quite feasible, and the model of the Titanic cost as much as the real thing, once Bob Ballard found the original ship and the state it was in, this film was put away in a dark drawer, it has been shown on TV & holds up as good entertainment & the music by John Barry still is a favourite of mine.

Bazzer

06/12/2018 3:31 PM

Any ''Bolo'' book...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); AverageJoe (1); Bayes (4); Bazzer Englander (2); BestInShow (1); Brave Sir Robin (2); clint420601 (1); Doorman (9); GJM (1); Hannes (2); horace40 (1); IdeaSmith (1); JE in Chicago (2); JPool (1); lyn (2); MACA (2); mastrsmth (2); Mikerho (1); MR. Guest (6); not so smart (2); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); prof peanut (1); RAMConsult (1); Randall (2); rashavarek (2); redfred (2); ronseto (1); sharpstick (1); SolarEagle (3); SSCpal (1); tonyhemet (2); Usbport (3)

Previous in Forum: General Inquiry   Next in Forum: Entire Neighborhood Loses Garage Door/Key Fob Use

Advertisement