Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 153

Occupancy Sensor for Automobiles

06/12/2018 8:19 AM

I frequently hear of children left in vehicles because, for whatever reason, they were forgotten.

A simple occupancy sensor could prevent this. Does anyone know of such a sensor that could be integrated into the vehicle alarm system?

It could be as simple as beeping the horn at a certain rate.

It would activate, after a predetermined delay, if the sensor detected motion after the key was removed and all doors closed.

It could be configured to be sensitive to a certain temperature range, near body temperature.

It sounds like this would be very inexpensive and simple to achieve.

I think this would prevent many child deaths as well as pet deaths.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1203

Re: occupancy sensor for automobiles

06/12/2018 9:32 AM

AI with a camera and microphone could differentiate between animals and children, and monitor conditions in the car, and call your cellphone for safety check....with no response within a certain time then set off an alarm ...and possibly 911 call, after the technology has proven accurate....

Alexa watch the kids...OK master, er,, mommybear...

Good Answers: 97

06/12/2018 9:42 AM

Would it also open the doors or windows? Would that not be a security risk if triggered by the sun, by any other heat source?

Isn't it too much to ask not to leave dogs and kids in the car? What can you lose, well your dog or kid?

I think there is a strong incentive by its own. How much do we want to dumb down the people with technology?

And saying that I locked my kids in the car the other day, since they did not want to go in that one shop. When I came back they were quite red in the face and I asked why they did not open the doors or windows. To my surprise the car doors could not be opened from inside neither could the windows.

There is something wrong with that. Any other car I was capable of opening from inside no problem, but not that one.

Since then my kids and I know that the head rest is retrievable because it is acting as a emergency breaking device for the windows!

Something to learn every day!

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #2

06/13/2018 10:49 AM

To my surprise the car doors could not be opened from inside neither could the windows.

Many cars have a child door lock feature with a switch on the back doors (near the latch mechanism) that you can disable. That will allow the child to open the doors.

Good Answers: 97
In reply to #17

06/13/2018 12:15 PM

Howdy,

this was not the issue. You cant even unlock the car from the front seats if someone locks it with the key.

Sealed tight, no way out!

Guru

Good Answers: 1618

06/12/2018 9:56 AM

This technology, long overdue, is finally being offered on some vehicles.

GM expands rear-seat reminder technology to 20 models

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 361

06/12/2018 10:57 AM

Well, they have an occupancy sensor for the passenger side air bag, so its not that far out.

Here's and idea, instead of dumbing down our society even more with government regulations or features... the problem it's self should be addressed as to the driver of the car, who has full responsibility of the passengers, whether he/she is driving or not... abandon the younger passengers or animals to leave to do some quick shopping, or quae semper

As far as dumbing down, for some, it may be to late... they're already there and waiting for direction to be told what to do next.

For others who do require because of their lack of responsibility and for the safety of their passengers, it should be similar to an on-star, were the police are called.

With the threat of consequences of possible incarceration, I bet a lot the problems are quickly resolved where there is no longer issues.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 258
In reply to #4

06/12/2018 11:41 AM

Well . . . late one night, we returned home with our brood of four, got them out of the vehicle and ushered them into the house. While we were unloading luggage and kid paraphernalia, the youngest, unbeknownst to us decided to get back in the vehicle and lie down while we were still unloading stuff. We didn't notice she climbed back in the vehicle and closed the door. It wasn't until my wife did a bed check before we retired to our bed that she noticed the littlest one wasn't in her bed.

Kids sometimes do things that are not in their own best interests. We always locked our vehicles, even in the driveway while we were in the yard. As parents, it is our responsibility to keep an eye on them. I'm not in favor of more government regulations. I would rather automakers do those things that the consumer wants. If people want the car to call their cell phone, that should be an option. Or beep the horn, or whatever.

The other issue is parents who should never have become parents. Even the most nanniest regulations are not going to save the kids of those parents. Perhaps a combination of a temperature sensor with occupancy sensor would roll the windows down. But, it would not take thieves too long to figure out how to use that to their advantage.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

06/12/2018 11:55 AM

Yes, accidents happen I'm glad you shared your experience, and I'm sure there are more story's like that.

As far as contacting the police, keep in mind, that's said with tonque in cheek...

here's two examples...

And with that in mind, the on-star system with the geo tracking system, Notifying the police, things could have changed differently for this child...

Or things that are not accidents, like this child. Since the vehicle already is displaying environmental data, This is where consequences are applied to. It will may make people think about consequences of their actions.

on a different note but similar topic, one of the best accessory I think, is the back-up camera on a vehicle.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 258
In reply to #6

06/12/2018 12:01 PM

I figured that was tongue-in-cheek, but be careful, someone will probably run with your idea.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

06/12/2018 12:15 PM

Well, if someone's going to run with it,... I'd also like cup of coffee,... with cream.

Then I'd have to think about if its safe to drink.

In reply to #4

06/12/2018 1:40 PM

A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENT

Until the government decides on how to respond to this epidemic, sometimes referred to as TDS, that a section of the populist is experiencing, this Government Mandate is issued.

Each household is required to have one live parrot for such an emergency. There is no exceptions.

Thank you!

Guru

Good Answers: 665

Re: Occupancy Sensor for Automobiles

06/12/2018 6:14 PM

I don't know how good they are, but there are a couple of free phone apps that they've been talking about on TV...

"But two new apps are hoping to put an end to this very preventable problem -- and offer overwhelmed, distracted, exhausted, busy parents a helping hand. The first, "Precious Cargo," was designed by a North Carolina dad of a one-year-old and is simple yet effective, reports Today: When you sit down in the car and Bluetooth is activated, you'll receive a message from the app asking if you're traveling with precious cargo (i.e. your baby). If you are, you enter the child's name, and once the engine stops, you'll receive an alert to remind you there's "precious cargo" in the car. If you're driving sans baby, the app is deactivated until the next time the car starts up.

The second, Kars4Kids Safety, is also a piece of cake to use. An customizable alarm goes off whenever you and your phone exit the car to remind you to retrieve your baby from the carseat. The app, created by the nonprofit Kars4Kids, just requires a Bluetooth-enabled phone and car."

https://www.parents.com/baby/all-about-babies/dont-forget-your-baby-in-the-car-theres-an-app-for-that/

Guru

In reply to #10

06/12/2018 6:16 PM

Great apps!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 24

06/13/2018 4:57 AM

My car already has one. If I leave my wife in the car while I briefly disappear, she has to sit very still, or she will trigger the car alarm. It's the function of the intrusion detector.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

06/13/2018 7:36 AM

I found out, when I leave the car,... and lock it, while my girlfriend dallies around before getting out, after a period, when she does get out, opens the door, the alarm goes off.

I don't know if movement does it, I don't think so.

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #12

06/16/2018 5:37 AM

That wouldn't work with my wife, she can't keep her mouth from moving and no, it's not a medical condition.

Bazzer

Good Answers: 7

06/13/2018 7:39 AM

A proximity sensor, I have them in my van, if I leave the window open & someone puts their hand in the alarm sounds, same if I shut the doors & lock a fly in the alarm sounds, I'm sure we've all heard alarms sounding when someone leaves a dog in a car, these are standard on most alarms.

Bazzer

In reply to #14

06/13/2018 7:43 AM

alarms going off in a parking lot is pretty typical as well as pretty much ignored by everyone.

Good Answers: 244
In reply to #14

06/17/2018 6:29 PM

Like this?

Good Answers: 47

06/13/2018 10:43 AM

How about a pressure switch activated RFID device in the child's car seat that alarms on your phone if you move out of range?

06/13/2018 11:17 AM

What about a wearable baby monitor that monitors the heart rate, skin temperature, and other vitals, calls your phone when set parameters are breached...including proximity and location...

https://smartwatches.org/fitness/top-10-wearables-for-your-baby/

Not a bad idea to have a tracker on your kids, no matter the age....haha

06/13/2018 11:39 AM

Maybe the car should just be able to keep the interior temperature within a safe range and do so, should it sense occupants. Only when conditions are approaching the limits of a safe range should alarms and automatic opening be triggered.

Being able to lock yourself in a vehicle without alarms going off and without the doors/windows automatically opening seems like a desireable feature.

In reply to #19

06/13/2018 4:03 PM

Well if the car is parked in a closed garage not a good idea for it to start up on its own...so there's that....

In reply to #23

06/13/2018 10:02 PM

If it is in a closed garage, keeping temperatures within a safe range typically won't require that much...so engine start up can probably be avoided.

i suppose sensors to monitor atmosphere could be included.....but then what is to be done if (non driving) occupants are sensed in a parked car and the outside air is dangerous? Driverless motion in hopes of reaching safe air?

This is getting really expensive.

In reply to #19

06/14/2018 12:03 AM

To me, this is a non-starter: "Maybe the car should just be able to keep the interior temperature within a safe range and do so, should it sense occupants." If you are suggesting that vehicles spontaneously start when parked anywhere, and occupied, that seems counterintuitive. If I encountered any running vehicle, occupied by a small child, I'd call PD immediately and be formulating a plan to break a window if no adult came forward.

And don't cars allow you to lock yourself in without alarms going off and without the doors/windows automatically opening now?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

06/14/2018 2:10 AM

I mentioned keeping the temperature within safe limits. A process involving starting an ic engine is not the only way to control temperature.

In the discussion above suggestions are made about sensing occupant in a parked car and automatic actions that might be programed. Unlocking the car and setting off an alarm came up.

I don't desire this type of additional safeguard, but perhaps there is a need for it.

In reply to #26

06/14/2018 2:11 AM

Yes, that's getting expensive.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 49
In reply to #26

06/14/2018 9:54 AM

Well it would be an easy fix in a Tesla since the car is already full of sensors and it is already talking to Tesla and to your Phone (if you have the app). Even better, the car could, upon detecting a presence, turn on the camera and send the image to your phone (since many pay more attention to their phone than their kids) and turn on the heat or AC as needed without ever having to start an IC engine or even active the car.

Time to fire off an email to Elon...

Good Answers: 49

06/13/2018 12:03 PM

The technology exists, it simply needs an economic reason to implement it. If it doesn't make a profit it doesn't make it.

Just like cell phone usage, the tech exists to prevent the cell phone from connecting while in a vehicle that is turned on and in motion. As is often the case, we have a solution already, we just don't have the economic incentive to do it. Small problem with market based systems.

I raised two children to adulthood and never once "forgot" I was a father. Not sure how that happens.

Good Answers: 1

06/13/2018 1:13 PM

My wife and I locked our child in the car once. The keys were in the front seat; toddler seat-belted in back. We couldn't get him to work the lock himself, so we had to call the police. It happens to the best of us.

But how is a car supposed to know there is a life form in the backseat who shouldn't be there just then, and why not, because other times it's OK, like when you're working the gas pump?

You need a sensor on the kid to alert you, something like a Fit-bit or a smart car seat that knows it is occupied and the air temperature in his/her environment is in the danger zone. I don't think that is overdoing it. There are sensor systems that phone you when the water is too high in your sump pit.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

06/15/2018 4:20 PM

My EX was superb at locking her keys and the children in the car.

One time, she got out of the car.... which was still in a travel lane with traffic because she heard a "noise" coming from the engine area. Like she was going to know what it was, she knew enough about cars to open the door and sometimes put fuel in them. Now here is the KICKER!!! This was during an ALL OUT downpour of a rainfall event that had water over the curbs of Hollywood Way in Burbank. Here is the scenario..... She is 8 months pregnant and HUGE!! One child in the car, car hood up, still in the traffic lane, vehicle still running in park, BOTH doors locked. She is so lucky that a lady opened her apartment door so she could use the phone. It took me 20 minutes to get there from my work. I was friggin LIVID.... UGH!! I unlocked BOTH doors just in case, kissed my son ... looked at my soon to be EX.... shook my head and went back to work and I did all this while the rain was POURING down in buckets. A proximity sensor will never work for her. She is NON-Sensorable!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bazzer Englander (2); Brave Sir Robin (2); IdeaSmith (2); jhowdy (2); lyn (4); Original_Macgyver (1); phoenix911 (6); phph001 (1); rashavarek (2); Rixter (1); Ronald Budge (1); SolarEagle (3); truth is not a compromise (4)

Previous in Forum: MON/Methane Number   Next in Forum: Renegade Drone Pilot

Advertisement