CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Occupancy Sensor for Automobiles   Next in Forum: NASA's Opportunity Mars Rover Fighting for its Life
Close
Close
Close
81 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1617

Renegade Drone Pilot

06/12/2018 8:48 PM

I am a law breaker, I confess, or at least a rule breaker.

I fly in violation of Public Law 112-95 Section 336, and am unrepentant about it!

Registration was not specifically required at the time I got this drone so, while I understand that the rule has changed, I'm still unregistered.

That's not the issue at hand. I expect to register it before next month.

I live about 4.9 miles from an active airport, close to the path of aircraft approaching from the west. They never fly directly over my house.

The rules say that if I live "within five miles of an airport" I am required to contact the tower and give them my complete information, including registration number and name, each time I fly.

I'm inclined to fly on the spur of the moment, so I don't bother to call the tower because I never fly higher than 400' and hardly ever fly out of line of sight unless I fly down to the park which is 900 feet away. The safe range is said to be miles and not feet but I just fly for fun and to look at our property when we visit.

Do any other members with drones live close to airports, and if you do, do you call the tower and report in each time you fly?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 26

Re: Renegade Drone Pilot

06/12/2018 8:53 PM

Golden Rule: "Those with the Gold (gobberment) make the Rules (and legal 'hammers')."

Good Answers: 1218

06/12/2018 9:37 PM

It's all fine and good until there is an incident, then all hell breaks loose....follow the rules, or don't play...and while you're at it tell them about all the lasers you have that you randomly search the skies with....haha

In reply to #2

06/12/2018 9:51 PM

I only use the lasers when I fly the drone at night.

Okay, I did fly it at night on July 4th. Straight up about a hundred feet or so and then panned around to catch the fireworks. Pretty neat.

They'll never take me alive!!!!!!!!!!!!

My back yard may be 5+ miles away. I'll try it soon.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

06/13/2018 11:05 AM

Well I guess it comes down to where and how you measure the location of the airport, and where you are standing on your property, maybe you just need to walk a block further to be in compliance....?

In reply to #15

06/14/2018 12:47 PM

After discussing my location with the tower and consulting the airmaps.com site, I find that I'd have to go three streets south and cross to the other side of the NS street to be out of the 5 mile radius. I may try this when it's not 103°F like it is here at 10:00 AM.

It's interesting to note that all schools, even private, are noted as no-fly zones on this map. No surprise there.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 694

06/12/2018 9:41 PM

Well, I don't know. I got one for Christmas a year and a half ago, and one slightly too windy day it decided to become autonomous. I had a video it sent back as it was heading over the trees, but nothing was recognizable.

I headed in the direction it disappeared and drove around the neighborhoods looking for its WIFI signal with my telephone, but to no avail. Where I live, I would estimate at least 90 percent tree cover, so I'm pretty sure it ended up in a treetop somewhere.

I did register it, but no men-in-black have come knocking on my door.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 363
In reply to #3

06/12/2018 10:35 PM

I was on vacation last April visiting my sister. She got her boyfriend a drone, and we took it to a park, it was actual quite fun. With the camera, I flew it to a little league game that was playing a field away and watched the game for a minute on the screen.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #6

06/12/2018 11:17 PM

You broke the law!

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

06/13/2018 7:40 AM

possible? which one might you be referring to?

I hope you're just not talking like you know, and don't, like so many do.

And btw, a no response or answer will be considered an answer in itself.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

06/13/2018 12:56 PM

1. "a no response or answer will be considered an answer in itself." Who made you king?

2. Get your own copy of the regs!! The fact that you flew the thing not knowing the rules is ANOTHER violation.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #23

06/13/2018 1:05 PM

Thought so... lol

The fact that you flew the thing not knowing the rules is ANOTHER violation.

A fact?, not knowing the rules,... Really and where did you get that self-imposed fact from... that I didn't know any rules for that matter.

Again, You don't know what your talking about, you just needed to out of your way, make up your own 'Facts' to grind an axe,... and that is all.

I can see why you post Anonymously...

06/12/2018 10:32 PM

For a law, a number or criteria has to be established... and when the number or criteria is within the edge of the law that small area and is still crossed, it’s still breaking the law.

remember, the law does not mean common sense.

In reply to #5

06/14/2018 9:04 AM

In all of this, the use of "common sense" in flying these things, or just about any issue in life is the use of "common sense", which unfortunately isn't these days.

Btw, I noticed that all comments appear to be from the US, what are the rules (laws) elsewhere? Do they use common sense there?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #48

06/14/2018 9:59 AM

Bold isn't really necessary.

Good post though.

The current laws or requirements can be vague on certain issues for drone use. But they are pretty precise for its original intent.

The vague part is registration. To own a drone, you need to registrar it, which is normally ($5.00)??? And also have the registration number printed on the Drone itself..

And as I understand it, the pilot has to have the registration on them at all times when flying their drone, similar to a car drivers license in the States, but... this is where it's vague, as I read it at the time, if the owner lets you use it, you have to have the registration (copy of) the owner of the drone registration on you at all times you use it.

As I recall, registration is pretty easy and all done on line. Its not too hard to find it on line... I'll check because posters here that have demonstrated, preach they know the law, yet show no evidence of it. Anonymous Poster #1 as an example. which really wrecks it for everyone by spreading misinformation.

Do they use common sense there?

Its quite apparent not from these posts that its not. But the reason is actually from the irresponsible users that threated the airspace on flights, just takes a few drone pilots with a chip on their shoulders that wrecks it for everyone and that why it's now registered.

While other irresponsible drone pilots use it to spy (peeping tom's) on people sun bathing and the like.

Here's one,... which answers question.... intended for Anonymous Poster #1 Q33

I suggest this one from the FAA, have to dig through it though.

Like all associations... anyone that's responsible should help others to cultivate interests in the association. This works to gain strength in membership. The problem what I see is a few Drone Pilots... and it just takes a few... they have too big a chip on their shoulders, And they'll hold you at ransom with any information or where they live??? with information they may or may not know. Again... Anonymous Poster #1 et al'

I hope this helps answers your .... concerns.

In reply to #48

06/14/2018 10:19 AM

sorry, misread this

Btw, I noticed that all comments appear to be from the US, what are the rules (laws) elsewhere? Do they use common sense there?

When I just read you location... but a point was made about current common sense.

Good Answers: 99

06/13/2018 2:02 AM

In reply to #8

06/13/2018 12:37 PM

Yes, and the opening line is telling.

It says, "The “fear of making a mistake” drives a risk culture at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that is slowing the deployment of drone aircraft in U.S. airspace."

I understand the abundance of caution of the FAA.

I also understand that there are people who abuse these rules and fly over restricted areas and there are people who are simply ignorant of the requirements of drone pilots to know the rules and abide by them.

I know the rules and abide by them. A statement to the entire group follows.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 732

06/13/2018 9:11 AM

<...a rule breaker...>

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise." - Anonymous Poster #0

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 263
In reply to #10

06/13/2018 10:50 AM

. . . speed limits immediately come to mind.

I'm sure few in the U.S. (and probably other countries as well) could ever claim to be in complete compliance with the law at all times.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/13/2018 10:53 AM

I'm sure few in the U.S. (and probably other countries as well) could ever claim to be in complete compliance with the law at all times.

And if you're visiting other country's and driving, its prudent to know the laws. at least the driving laws. (the middle east comes to mind)

In reply to #14

06/13/2018 11:06 AM

Wholeheartedly agree. Always best to be a 'model' guest.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

06/13/2018 11:07 AM

And leave before your asked to...

In reply to #17

06/13/2018 11:10 AM

. . . and do things in such a way that your hosts look forward to your next visit.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

06/13/2018 11:15 AM

hey,... is this the travel channel or something.....

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #17

06/14/2018 3:11 AM

your you're

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

06/14/2018 7:31 AM

Thank you for the critiquing, I appreciate it.

In reply to #41

06/14/2018 12:51 PM

Ah, for the want of an 'e' and an apostrophe . . . .

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

06/13/2018 10:39 AM

Send them a letter...

In reply to #11

06/13/2018 10:40 AM

k

06/13/2018 12:43 PM

I finally contacted the control tower at my local airport, and was informed that, at my location, if I do not exceed 400' in altitude (which I do not, the "return to home" altitude setting of my drone is 200' just to insure that it clears any obstacles that I might have flown around when it returns)

So, all is well, thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

06/13/2018 12:57 PM

I would get that in writing, and have it witnessed....and I might add that permission from an individual, does not give permission to break the law....If some official shows up and asks why you are not in compliance, what will you say?... some guy said it was OK...haha

Seriously though, I'm sure it will be fine.....

The police can be quite unreasonable at times though....

In reply to #24

06/13/2018 6:23 PM

I'll go with the tower's opinion.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

06/13/2018 6:43 PM

Absolutely... but it does depend on the airport. But more importantly, the pilots.

one of our manufacturing plants is adjacent to a manciple airport, I brought a crane in, and just contacted the airport, the airport administrator (the guy that answered the phone, ya it’s a small airport) and let him know we’ll be operating a crane at such an such a date.

he said, he just need to let the pilots know that, because it’s the pilots that can get you in trouble... when I flew back with the company plane, the notice was on the bulletin board.

Now if lyn is flying a drone, and pilot sees a drone, even in the area, the pilot reports it to the FAA... that phone call can be and more then likely,... meaningless.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #21

06/13/2018 10:59 PM

Lyn : just a few questions.

A. Is the 400 foot rule : 1. Your at the same altitude as the airport, or 2. Your 1000 feet higher than the airport + 400 feet ?

B. How does an operator determine his drone has reached 400 feet ? Does the operator need a 400 foot tape measure ?

C. Is there some type of governmental agency, ( other than the FAA ) that actively looks for drone flying rule breakers ( kinda like the mattress police ) ?

D. Now that you have admitted your transgression, how likely will it be that you will be wearing an orange jumpsuit picking up trash alongside the freeway ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

06/14/2018 12:22 AM

I'll answer your logical questions.

1. It's 400' above ground below the aircraft, be it drone, airplane or kite. Private aircraft calibrate their altitude indicators (barometers) and compass headings on the ground, at the departing airport, in the run-up area, before requesting permission to take off from the tower, if there is one. Drones do essentially the same thing using GPS at point of take-off.

B. The operator determines the altitude, above ground level, of the drone by looking at the altitude indicator on the screen. The surrounding terrain is also displayed in the form of a map, or satellite image with coordinates and horizontal distance from the point of take-off. Other information is also displayed. Tape measure???? Really???

C.

D.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 40

06/13/2018 12:52 PM

I have flown model airplanes (according to the new rules those are drones too) since the 80's including one made of balsa wood I built with my dad. I can't tell you if I flew them over 400 feet or too far away as they have no gps or sensors. I did a post a while back about putting a cheap camera on a cheap plane http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/8925/Video-Spy-Plane-on-the-Cheap although it seems the video link is no longer working.

I do have a gas helicopter that I used to fly but hasn't been flown in years. I don't own a quad copter or any derivative that most people call a drone.

I don't live close to an airport, I registered when the new rules were released, and have never flown any of them since.

Perhaps that balances out your illegal flying, since quad copters and the like the attitude of the hobby is different.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

06/13/2018 2:28 PM

I'm in the process of registering the drone, to be in compliance with the FAA before I fly again.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 280
In reply to #26

06/13/2018 3:53 PM

Ah!

A tribunal will be convened - You are to be stripped of your Rebel Badge with AP Cluster, and you will be reduced in rank from ‘Renegade’ to ‘Troublemaker Second Class’.

In reply to #27

06/13/2018 3:59 PM

Beaten into submission; it's a bitter pill to swallow.

At least I still have my Man Card.

Gotta go vacuum the carpet now.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 694
In reply to #28

06/13/2018 8:08 PM

"Standing at the pearly gates of heaven, Albert noticed pointing to two paths. One was marked "Women" and the other marked "Men". He took the path assigned to men.

There were two more paths, one marked "Married Men", the other "Unmarried Men". Because Albert had been married he took the corresponding path and then came upon two more gates.

The right-hand gate had a sign that read "Men Who Were Dominated By Their Spouses"; the other gate read "Men Who Were Not Dominated By Their Spouses". The first gate had an endless line of chaps waiting, but only one little guy stood before the second gate.

Albert found this very interesting, so he walked up to the little guy standing all alone and asked, "Why are you standing at this gate, a little guy like you?"

The smallish fellow replied, "I have not any clue. My wife told me to stand here."

This joke was tagged #english and #pearly_gates"

https://avaruusmies.com/jokes/at-the-entrance-of-heaven.html

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

06/13/2018 9:59 PM

During the depths of the depression a "government" man was visiting old decrepit farms leading a pair of mules, one gray and one black, and carrying a a large sack of chickens.

He came to the house where Ma and Pa were sitting on the run down porch.

He explained that he had been sent out to find decisive men to perhaps work for the government and was looking for a house where the man made all the decisions and if he found such a house he would give them a mule. If the woman had influence over the man, they would get a chicken.

Farmer: "Well you came to the right place. I make all the decisions here!.

Govt. man: "Well since you make all the decisions, which mule would you like, the gray or the black?"

Farmer: "Well, I've always wanted a gray mule."

Wife: "My dear, look at that black, he is much stronger."

Farmer: "She's right, we'll take the black."

Govt man: "You'll take a chicken."

Now back to the assumptions some have made.

My house is 4.9 miles from the runway and the headings of the runway are 4 and 22, (40° and 220°) depending on the time of day/wind direction. Runway 4L and 4R heading is about 40° offset from the direction toward my house. No aircraft ever fly over my house on final approach, nor when approaching the pattern. On very, very rare occasions a private jet may fly nearby going to that airport. No aircraft ever overfly my house below 1,000' AGL. I never fly above 400' AGL. The drone reports altitude and horizontal separation for the take-off point at all times.

Commercial jets do overfly the house on approach to Sky Harbor but they are restricted to above 4,000' AGL,on approach and are higher than that over my house.

Now, my gray drone is invisible to me when it is above 250' directly overhead which presents the most visible profile. I have 20-20 vision Head-on, it presents a much less visible profile, even with the running lights.

The (probably futile) point is that, at no time would any pilot, under any condition other than a forced landing directly into a residential neighborhood, EVER see my drone in flight!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

06/13/2018 10:49 PM

Do any other members with drones live close to airports, and if you do, do you call the tower and report in each time you fly?

Sounds like you didn’t need to ask a question. No matter what anyone said, your mind was made up before you even started this thread.

Have fun with your drone...

In reply to #33

06/13/2018 11:43 PM

Troll much?

Do you:

1. Have a drone?

2. Live near an airport, if you do?

If not, your opinion is just an irritation!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

06/14/2018 7:29 AM

1. Have a drone?

Yes I do, like yourself I started years ago prior to the quad-copter styles now with the live video feed. I initially purchase it for viewing our farm as well as the woodlands... but I over estimated its capabilities... still served a purpose.

It was a twin propeller plane (you steered it by each individual propeller speed). It had a CCD and memory card. Body was made from a coated Styrofoam... took a beating, nose actually broke off, but it only slowed it down. Still have it... I was looking at the new quads-copters,... ohh.. few two years ago,... held off just due to my other 'hobbies'.

As the popularity grew,...and with the other irresponsible idiots that had quad-copters that was on the news interfering with air traffic and ignoring regulations,... Sound Familiar?... anyways, really turned me off to that, as I'll call it a sport. But I my interest was still there.

After a while I was looking back into it, but by that time with the regulations on, again, off again and then finally on again last year. I was back looking into it, last winter

2. Live near an airport, if you do?

For your information, living near an airport does not an expert make. But it's evident you don't know that, do you cowboy.

If not, But I am.... your opinion is just an irritation!...

I'm only an irritation for an over-emotionally narcissist.

I would like to introduce you to a friend of mine,... both of you have a lot in common.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #43

06/14/2018 10:58 AM

So you really do not have a drone, you once flew a cheap remote controlled airplane. I fly single bladed helicopters, neither is what is commonly considered as a "drone", yes i know the armed forces call any UAV a drone but we are not talking about them. A drone or originally called "quadcopter" is what these guys are talking about. its ok to not have one and engage in the conversation as it is really a discussion about the laws of operating around an airport.

it is a good discussion btw, i am learning too. I live in the country far from a large airport but there are county airports and even smaller, several farmers in my area have airfields, one is half mile down the road. i wonder how small an airfield needs to be to consider the 5 mile rule?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

06/14/2018 11:15 AM

Good question.

I have asked your question of the AOPA and am waiting for a response. (Still waiting for a response)

I also usually monitor the unicom frequency (122.95 here) when flying, and sometimes just for entertainment.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

06/14/2018 11:40 AM

So you really do not have a drone,

I have to take that as an opinion, not a 'fact'. When I first bought it, heck, I called it a RC plane myself, ... But I understand its semantics... until you read the FAA definition.

If I take it off the shelf and fly it, as the requirements states as I understand it, I would have to register it... because it makes the weight... unless I weight it without the nose that broke off. I believe it'd still make the weight.

From the FAA website for Drone Registration...

Do I need to Register My Drone?

You must register and label your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg) and its flight falls within the statutory guidelines for registration.

your comment;

you once flew a cheap remote controlled airplane.

Yes, my first one did not perform as I thought it would,... and as far as being 'cheap'... That's a subjective opinion and not a fact. For me, like most beginners being my first one, I did not purchase a expensive one, nor an cheap one... but one that was first my introduction to it and could, what I feel perform what I wanted. I have to say at the time, if there was a higher resolution CCD available,... I would have bought it because I knew it was low resolution would be an issue.

it is a good discussion btw, i am learning too.

Yes, I agree also when information and experiences is shared and not withheld. That's where people from responsible associations help expand the sport.

And also the reason why I questioned AP#1 with this reply... Because yes I could have been breaking the law,...

but it appears that AP #1 was more intent on grinding an axe with me, than to actually be helpful. Good to be back on track of a valued thread.

I wonder how small an airfield needs to be to consider the 5 mile rule?

That's is what's being kicked around... there is no real definition yet. That's one of the reason I stated its vague from the FAA with not enough detail. For me, as my opinion, I would think the distance is from between the drone and the closest perimeter that borders the airport to the drone.

Have to wait and see what lyn comes up with his inquiry.

But I wish it could be actually defined on the website... but because of the abuse, its just one of those rule that needed to be made first before more fully defined.

In reply to #56

06/14/2018 11:58 AM

Sorry, for AP#1 apparently axe grinding opinion, this was my reply to AP#1

In reply to #56

06/25/2018 1:16 PM

I should reword "cheap" as i think of these new drones as expensive units that cost thousands of dollars that have amazing electronics. the unit i fly has a multi axis gyro but nothing other than that. and i am way under the weight limitations.

I wonder what the "statutory guidelines for registration" are.

and in the definition i think you are correct, a drone is a drone and not all drones are quad-copters. i did some battery work for a drone which was an airplane that mapped the algae blooms in lake erie. it was considered a drone, so i apologize.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

06/14/2018 12:07 PM

setlock77,

Here's the response from the AOPA: I don't know if this qualifies as "getting it in writing", as SE cautioned and I'm sure the resident troll will expound about why he knew this already, but for what it's worth:

"If they are charted then yes. You can find charted airports at

airmap.com. Dont worry about being a member there. Just click on the Use Airmap at the top right. Then select Drone Operators.

You can search at the top left by address or airport if you know the name. You will then see overlay information, if you select to search an address it will drop a pin and then you can tell if you are within the 5 miles of an airport or not."

Obviously, if you're in farming country, you'll probably hear any low flying planes long before they're right over you. I'd say monitoring the area unicom would still be a good idea.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #58

06/14/2018 12:37 PM

Nice post,

Like AP #2 critiquing my grammar.... which is appreciated.

I have one question though....and that's about resident troll .

If resident troll be defined as; a person who points out the hypocrisy's in people like yourself...

That would be me, but I don't believe you have that definition of resident troll correct... but if it makes you feel better... that's fine too.

In reply to #58

06/25/2018 1:18 PM

great info thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #76

06/25/2018 2:57 PM

Welcome.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

06/14/2018 12:20 PM

one other thing... actually 2 things

I fly single bladed helicopters, neither is what is commonly considered as a "drone",

to the FAA yes that's considered a drone...

the second thing... you mentioned you fly single bladed helicopters RC I presume.

a little back story, back in the 80's my best friend joined the army to be a helicopter pilot. when he visited me on leave, he was telling me that that one of his buddies bought a RC helicopter... and the price he paid was extraordinarily phenomenal high. Thousands of dollars.

He went on because he was a helicopter pilot, he didn't think he needed the training arm for it... He explained what a training arm did for beginners.

Well the first time, he took off and crash it to basically smithereens.

Of course my response was,... that sounded like fun... wtf's wrong with him I asked.

My friend told me,... well, you heard about helicopter pilots, didn't your?

I said no...

Well he goes and says to me, "remember there are 4 thongs to know about helicopter pilots...

1. we talk smart
  2. we wear really big watches
  3. we write out really big checks
  4. and we keep no money in our checking accounts."

That sound so familiar that my reply was,... "you're the one that bought the RC helicopter, didn't you?"

he didn't respond.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #59

06/14/2018 12:29 PM

" there are 4 thongs ?"

These?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #60

06/14/2018 12:35 PM

lol... that's funny,... considering the subject of my friend...I think I'll leave thongs be... it's quite... fitting

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #26

06/13/2018 11:09 PM

A. Will your drone be required to have an annual ? And now that you have admitted to being a, " renegade " , will your information be listed in a database for future reference like they do for run of the mill kooks ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

06/13/2018 11:18 PM

Too be too hard on the .... wild one , he may cry 'Bullies'... well maybe just to me.

I wonder if Lyn is related Anonymous who posted here,... both have that 'air' about them, that runs on the same line. Which is my opinions rub them the wrong way... You know, like petting a cat the wrong way.

Good Answers: 14

06/13/2018 10:53 PM

Anything you say online can and will be used against you........

In reply to #34

06/14/2018 12:29 AM

That is obvious, as displayed here.

Trolls are annoying, sorta like mosquitoes, or rain at 60 MPH.

Cheers.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #40

06/14/2018 7:48 AM

I believe he was referring to you...

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #46

06/14/2018 10:12 AM

If the he was me my comment was not intended to troll anyone, just to point out that admitting something in an online forum is not without its risks. If this offended anyone please accept my apology.

In reply to #50

06/14/2018 10:15 AM

Actually, your comment was for and can be applied for everyone... and no apologies necessary. Its a good common sense post that's not too common on this thread.

06/14/2018 6:59 AM

this is what we do to drones in my neighborhood...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBEcqnBaL_o

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

06/14/2018 7:39 AM

As I understand it.1 But this is changing and could be different place to place.

Hopefully we can weed out the immature cowboy drone pilots,... and bring responsibility to the sport.

References:

1.) My thanks to Anonymous Poster #1, your personal factual opinions aside, your posts has been very useful. what a tool,... oh, I hope I didn't say that out loud.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 24

06/14/2018 9:02 AM

Airports are big places. Where from is the 4.9 miles measured? Near side, center, far side? If you change the location slightly, you will be over 5 miles.

In reply to #47

06/14/2018 10:55 AM

The 4.9 mile distance that I gave was an estimate, based on county assessor's GIS maps and Google Earth.

I also pulled the airport sectional map which gives the class of airspace over my area.

The airport control tower was given my address and information and they used that to determine the class of airspace over my house.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 72

06/15/2018 10:57 PM

Ummmm, do you guys realize that there IS no registration anymore, since some time in 2016? President Trump, whether you like him or not, instructed the FAA NOT to register drones, when he took office. More importantly, the US Congress, clear back around 2010, passed a law, never challenged at any level of court, specifically forbidding the FAA or any other regulatory agency from in any way requiring or, by taxation or licensing fees, slowing hobby and sport drone (defined then as any drone used by an entity not specifically licensed as using commercial flight to do the body of its business) development or use. I don't have the specific cite, so I can't give it, but I am sure that a friend who works at FAA HQ (I live less than 10 miles from it, in Northern VA, and attend church with him) can provide it.

Incidentally, I tried, in 2016, to register a drone I had just bought, and could not, as the web-site for registry was down. I tried again 4 or 5 times over the next two weeks, and lo-and-behold, the web-site went from down to non-existent, with a notice that it would be down until further notice, pursuant to executive orders from the POTUS.

Ohhh. JOY!! Un-elected bureaucrats lose again!

In reply to #65

06/15/2018 11:10 PM

Trump was not president in 2016.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

In reply to #66

06/16/2018 9:40 PM

Register your model aircraft

Nope.

My mistake about the date/time. But not about the President. And he merely enforced what Congress had said long before.

In reply to #70

06/16/2018 10:07 PM

That was not an admonition to register your drone, that's your choice, simply an indication that drones could now be registered.

I wouldn't bother registering yours either.

Mine, and many others however, has the capability to fly three+ miles away from the operator, I am told. As I said, every time I power it up the red (you are in restricted airspace) warning, etc. comes up in the display.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #71

06/17/2018 9:00 PM

Yep. Thanks, and good. I went back and re-read your opening comment to begin this and realized you WEREN'T hard over on registering. And while I'd LOVE to have one as good as yours, I will live with the three I have (progressively larger, because the smallest is about 3 inches across and for indoor use only) at least until I

a) learn to fly them well

and

b) find a good enough excuse to spend a LOT more money than I have so far.

My most expensive was only about 120USD, and I expect anything with your kind of range doesn't come anywhere near that cheap.

In reply to #72

06/17/2018 10:53 PM

My wife buys good toys.

She bought this for my 70th birthday, and retirement present. I would have NEVER spent that kind of money myself.

These new drones are idiot proof. I know, because I can fly this one and not crash it. Take your thumbs off the controls and it stops and hovers in place.

It's a fun toy, but it's just a toy.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 280
In reply to #65

06/15/2018 11:13 PM

I have every expectation the quad being considered here is above the 55 pound threshold.

Go big or go home, eh?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadcopter

In reply to #65

06/16/2018 8:21 AM

Do you realize it was reinstated as recently as December 2017?

We realize it was on again, off again and so on. A lot to do between with the controversy of the impact of registration and the drone pilot air space abuse... But hey, did that change again?

In reply to #68

06/16/2018 9:24 PM

Do you realize it was reinstated as recently as December 2017?

Nope. Didn't. Guess since mine is less than 6 ounces, barely over any threshold I ever heard of, and I can't fly it beyond line of sight, and don't live anywhere near within 5 miles of an airport, I'll be one of those ignorant flyers. Beats registering and de-registering it on whims.

Micah

In reply to #69

06/18/2018 7:14 AM

I can understand that. With the on again, off again with drone regulations, when I was accused of breaking the law,... at first I thought possible,... enlighten me. Unfortunately that accusation was just nothing more than emotional agenda rant.

There is controversy on the requirement to registration, but the issues with drones was pretty serious. It wasn't so much drones going in to the airspace around airports at the edges, but the drones actual going into flight paths of planes. And a line had to get drawn.

In reply to #74

06/29/2018 10:58 AM

Saw the stories about the drones over active forest fires in CA. Since I'm FROM that part of the US, I know how bad that can be. But those were carrying some very high-def (and High Dollar) equipment, over fairly large distances (probably NOT even in the price range of your DJI. Certainly not in mine!) and thus were probably fairly heavy, even compared to the largest "Hobby-(sized)" drones the FAA could have cited.

THOSE would certainly be dangerous, and provide reasons to register. And my reading of the reports was that the owners refused to back off, even after several Borate or Water bomber runs had to be aborted because of them. THOSE owners should be prosecuted, and yes, it is necessary to have laws under which that could be done. But creating the "draconian" (Actually refers to the WAY Draco enforced his laws, not the laws themselves, so a misnomer. But meets the need of this thread statement, I think.) laws the FAA did is typical of a)bureaucratic overreach (OUR Government in action) and b) UN-elected bureaucrats making improperly overseen laws (we have a Judicial system to oversee what is legal), and Congress HAD already said the FAA was hands off on Hobby Drones. Unfortunately, they didn't define the limits of "Hobby" and the FAA decided to run without the definition, or do it itself. Neither worked well, IN MY OPINION (Yep, there it is. MY opinion.)

Thus, I quit worrying about it, until a)the dust gets settled legally, or b)I actually think I'll come under the scrutiny of the people in post number 24.

If, OTOH, the FAA had reacted less "reactively", and actually asked the help of the drone community to come up with reasonable restrictions(Imagine that, the government asking responsible people for help! Oh, never mind, it's the government, and we are stupid subjects of the government. So that won't ever happen! What dreamland was I living in?), my guess (Opinion? Probably.) is that the result would be much better, much clearer, much easier to live with, much easier to enforce, and much, much, better complied with. Since I suspect I'm in the majority in not registering, that last seems most obvious.

And if I don't fly them (I haven't since I got my last one, and seldom flew any, even before the laws on registering), the law does not allow for fining me for owning them. So, I'm safe. And so are the flyways, at least from me.

In reply to #78

06/29/2018 11:26 AM

Same here in Arizona.

If you are complying with the rules, you don't fly over accident scenes, fires, directly over people or even schools. I'm sure that, at some point, I've probably flown over someone in their back yards, but I don't fly much below 200'.

Those drone fliers, not pilots, who ground emergency flights deserve to be in jail and have their UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) taken away. "UAS" is what the FAA calls all types of these craft.

I got a hobby license, ($5.00 USD for 3 years) primarily because I'll be taking the drone on a trip aboard commercial aircraft next month and I don't want some TSA goon to challenge me.

I've flown commercial once already (Before registration) and they did ask that I take it out of its travel case and put it in a tub, but nothing else.

BTW, my drone weights 2.4#, ready to fly.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #79

06/29/2018 11:51 PM

Thanks for all the info, Lyn. I never even considered flying with my flying toys on a commercial flyer, but now that you mention it, I'll be prepared should the need ever arise. And my heaviest is only about 5.5 ounces. I expected something built like that DJI would run a good deal heavier. But not that much. OTOH, the one's the goons in California were flying, when one was brought down, were over a hundred pounds. I imagined then (and still do) that they were probably powered by something like a flock of "Baby Rotax'es". It would take some considerable power to fly something that heavy, and I got the impression that they were sending real-time video over distances of 20-30 miles. No challenge intended, but "put that in your DJI and smoke it!"

Or not! I agree that those guys should be in jail. And NOW, they would (could?) be. So the new laws do help with that (or could, depending on how much affect "influence" has on the case), but I still think that extending the panic to something that weighs as little as mine (or probably, even yours) is over-reaction. But, yep, THAT is my opinion. And I'm sure there are some who would disagree. I'm mindful of the clerk in a local hobby store here who launched off into a fanciful (and as a robotics engineer and physics practitioner and teacher, I think I understand fanciful in this case) scenario in which someone who buys a drone from his store takes in out into the parking lot (unregistered, because we all know that if it is registered, he can't ever do what follows), launches it, and flies in to the nearby gasoline tank farm, whence he smashes the drone into the tanks, piercing their steel sides, and causing the gasoline to flow freely out of the tanks, and then (miraculous enough for you yet? I mean, after all, he just bought the thing, and launched it unmodified) ignites the gasoline, causing a completely uncontrollable conflagration, and untold millions of lives and dollars in property damage are lost.

So help me, that WAS what he said would happen without registration. And he was at least in his 30's, so you MIGHT be forgiven for thinking he'd have better analytical powers than that.

Then again, the store closed without a new address not long after, so, maybe he wasn't alone in his thinking. Or maybe they WERE selling drones with those capabilities. Or .... well, I give up.

Anyway, it was weird, and it certainly didn't compel me to agree that the registration, as required, makes sense.

In reply to #80

06/30/2018 10:20 AM

They do get much larger than the one I have. And more sophisticated as well.

For those commercial boys a true "tail number" (N number) registration process is required, "if your unmanned aircraft is 55 pounds or greater." My registration number begins with an F.

FAA DroneZone - Federal Aviation Administration

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 81 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); Anonymous Poster (4); aurizon (1); Brave Sir Robin (4); Doorman (2); Dr. Harry (1); frankd20 (1); IdeaSmith (1); Lehman57 (1); lyn (20); micahd02 (6); phoenix911 (25); PWSlack (1); Rixter (2); setlock77 (4); SolarEagle (3); tonyhemet (2); wmerryall (2)

Previous in Forum: Occupancy Sensor for Automobiles   Next in Forum: NASA's Opportunity Mars Rover Fighting for its Life

Advertisement