Previous in Forum: Bye Bye Voyager II   Next in Forum: Can Batteries Be Taken on Board?
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 144

Who Knew this Bloke had a Doctorate in Astrophysics?

01/01/2019 4:45 PM

Queen guitarist Brian May hasn't been shy about his fondness for astronomy (he does have a doctorate in astrophysics), and he's making that patently clear as 2019 kicks off. The artist has written a song to mark NASA's historic flypast of Ultima Thule, appropriately titled "New Horizons (Ultima Thule Mix)." As he explained in a presentation, the tune is an "anthem to the human endeavor" -- it pays tribute to our species' insatiable curiosity about the universe.

Jon Fingas, @jonfingas

3h ago in Space

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

Re: Who knew this bloke had a doctorate in astrophysics?

01/01/2019 5:47 PM

All of the members of Queen were university graduates but, understandably, gave up on further education when the band took off.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

01/01/2019 6:51 PM

Brian May I believe had started his doctorate years ag,... but never finished. It wa about 10 years ago, he finished.

Queen was known to be the most educated band ever...

Boston would be a close second... where Tom Scholz received his under graduate and graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering from MIT, who also had a seccuessful business design homes, prior to Boston’s success.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #2

01/01/2019 10:39 PM

Brian May completed his doctoral degree just over a decade ago. {Please excuse me but your fractured sentences made that a little ambiguous.}

Queen maybe the most musically successful band where all members have some graduate degree but there are numerous weekend bands where every member has a doctoral degree. Come to think of it, I would be surprised if any member of the New York Philharmonic did not have at least one graduate degree.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

01/02/2019 8:31 AM

I apologize for the vague answer... I know what I’ll be getting for Christmas next year...

He’s an interesting thing I notice about musicians. The people that got a degree in some form of music,... and I found out about it at a young age.

i grew up on a farm, and there was a Music Academy in the rural setting, it started out giving concerts in a barn. (Great acoustics)

we rented and farmed the land around the academy, that owned the land. And durin this time,... if we were down in the field for one reason or another, a lot of the instructors would walk over and talk. I was maybe 15-16 years old at the time.

aAnd we talk about background experiences, a lot of the instructors, (who btw, were outstanding in their field both nationally and internationally known and recognize as a Jazz musician or leader)

Out of 5 instructors I talked to at various time, 3 of them started out in college as a Mechanical Engineering major, and eventual switched during or after they received their engineering undergraduate degree.

Prior to this experience, when I growing up,... I had a false understanding about jazz musicians,... thought they were just a bunch of hippies that smoke pot and talked jive....lol,... after talking to them, I felt very fortunate to have gotten to know these people.

and btw, I wasn’t wrong either, they were hippies, smoked pot and talked jive, one time or another in their lives. ,... or I should say....

In reply to #5

01/03/2019 7:03 AM

You're reminding me of a pot smokin' hippie I was warned about as a kid.

I'm sure he's listening to this somewhere.

He lived down the block and had bike like this, but with a much cooler metal flake paint job.

Us kids would cut through his yard to get to places like the local billiard, or the woods etc. He was always fine with it. He was more concerned with listening to music, having a beer and twisting a wrench at times.

...All while dressed like a Prince loving, denim worshiping, super 70's, long haired white dude. He was almost as cool as the guy we called 'Black Man Jack' who was coincidentally another white dude.

..ahh the 70's

People were cool right out in the open and nobody was doing it for likes, views or subscriptions

In reply to #16

01/03/2019 9:23 AM

Yep,.. never judge a book by its cover....

About that guy called ‘Black Man Jack’, we had a guy called ‘Black John’,... his name was John, and he was the only Colored guy in the county.... that I knew of.

it was like a since from Blazin Saddles or something... or like asking if do you have a Blacksmith in your town.

yes we have a black Smith, he our mail carrier....

01/01/2019 7:06 PM

I guess education isn't easy come easy go.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #3

01/02/2019 5:38 PM

I definitely got a kick out of this... I mean what better excuse for a song than having a degree in astrophysics!

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #10

01/03/2019 4:14 AM

BTW, he's also now a Chancellor of the university.

In reply to #10

01/03/2019 6:34 AM

I'd say being a musician is a better excuse for a song.

Good Answers: 13

Re: Who Knew this Bloke had a Doctorate in Astrophysics?

01/02/2019 10:06 AM

I didn't "know" it, but I'm not surprised by it either. Very rarely does one make a successful career out their "hobby", or abandon their hobby after getting into a career. Which is which? Sometimes you can be just as good/expert with your "plan B" as you are with your "plan A". Not many people get into pro-football/NFL, but there are a lot of sports scholarships. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone gets an academic scholarship and gets a degree in Physical Education.

I wouldn't be surprised if a "jock" is also an intellectual, or an intellectual is also a "jock". It's more like being right-handed, left-handed, or ambidextrous. Stereotypes are rarely true, and I'm not surprised by "anomalies" in this regard.

But, when I found out about it while watching the Flyby, I must admit that it made me smile. Music was my "first love", but I never got anywhere with it. I got kicked out of Choir in 5th Grade. Never really made it in science either. I'm just not "ambidextrous", more like handless (or all thumbs).

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

01/02/2019 11:26 AM

...and, Dr. Albert Einstein played a mean violin too!

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031
In reply to #7

01/02/2019 4:36 PM

Hey, I got a question about Einstein...If he knew so much about gravity, how come he couldn't get his hair to lay down?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #8

01/02/2019 5:06 PM

Legend has it that Einstein was a ladies man.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #8

01/02/2019 7:09 PM

...for the same reason that "Dr." May's hair doesn't.

In reply to #7

01/02/2019 10:57 PM

He only played it to pick up chicks... because the accordion or the tuba just didn’t cut it.

01/03/2019 6:23 AM

Snowman or BB-8 ?

You decide.

...He looks a lot like a snowman to meeeee.. beep boop beeb.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #14

01/03/2019 7:35 AM

If this is supposed to tell us about how the universe was formed, I'm gonna have to say.... snowball fight!!!

In reply to #14

01/03/2019 8:19 AM

I thought it looked more like this classic PANIC PUPPET

In reply to #18

01/03/2019 9:29 AM

Uncle Ted is that you?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (2); artsmith (2); Dennis R. Levesque (1); JE in Chicago (4); Nigh (2); phoenix911 (5); redfred (3); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Bye Bye Voyager II   Next in Forum: Can Batteries Be Taken on Board?

Advertisement