Previous in Forum: Happy Thanksgiving   Next in Forum: Thanksgiving Video: Storm of the Century
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 144

Heavy Duty Bike Tubes, Review/Side Benefit

11/29/2019 7:39 AM

As a regular cyclist I can tell you that there are really only two types of cyclist.

Those who check the air pressure before rides and those who ride for miles on low tires blissfully unaware of the extra energy needlessly exerted.

I'm the guy who not only checks my tires, but also those of friends and family.

Over time I've replaced countless tubes. At most shops there is one traditional tube style available for around four to seven dollars. You pick the size you need and go.

Sometimes there are slime tubes or puncture resistant tubes or..heavy duty tubes.

I've tried the slime.. Even Kevlar tires.. etc. For me there was no appreciable advantage to these.. they would still fail from regular use in no time.. flat.

When I would pick up tubes at Malmort they would always have the big bulky and higher priced "heavy duty" bike tubes. With extra weight being against the logic of cycling I avoided them for years.

After a spate of failed tubes on one particular bike I tried one of the "heavy duty" tubes. I knew I would have to wrestle it a bit to get it on, but it really wasn't that bad.

After filling it and putting it into service it was a long time before I realized the side benefit. Unlike every other tire that I would need to top off the air on a regular basis.. This tire remained firm and pressurized. Was it a fluke I would think? Not really, as I've replaced others with pretty much the same results. As the seasons change I'm continuously amazed at how little attention I've had to give these tubes.

After maybe 5 years of rather astonishing results, I'm almost at the point of replacing tubes on tires that never flat, but do loose air.

SO.. There's a stocking stuffer idea for the person who rides on low tires or the person who fills those tires.. (Lyn)

Not the most exciting gift idea, but better than the dreaded gift cards!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: Heavy Duty bike tubes - review / side benefit

11/29/2019 8:33 AM

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1034

11/29/2019 9:18 AM

I've often wondered why bike tires always need more air, whereas you can go years without adding air to car tires. Is it just the ratio of surface area to air volume, or is there another factor? Any ideas?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

11/29/2019 9:25 AM

80% thicker tube is my wag.

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

11/29/2019 8:10 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

11/29/2019 9:15 PM

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 58
In reply to #5

11/30/2019 1:37 AM

Actually with the tyre shown in the picture has holes full of air, it is just at zero gauge pressure and freely leaks in and out, the ultimate recycling of air ready for use by oxygen thieves.

In reply to #5

11/30/2019 10:20 AM

From what I understand, and my experience. These tires have a tendency to ride like a tire with low air pressure.

I'd be interested in trying out a set of tires, but the value and performance of the heavy duty tubes are a win win in my book.

Airless tires might be ok for forklifts and other industrial equipment, but for vehicles actually trying to conserve energy I have a hard time seeing how they will be able to surpass overall efficiency the ubiquitous pneumatic tube.

Electric bikes might seem like a good fit for these, but the higher rolling resistance . That must get even higher with age makes me leery.

..I'd be happy to provide a long term honest review of these "airless tires" if any company thinks they have a legitimate contender. Please contact me.

In reply to #7

11/30/2019 12:39 PM

I understand the added rolling resistance might sour the gift of air independence, but wouldn't it be dependent on the main purpose of the bike riding in the first place? I mean if you are riding the bike for exercise or training, a bit more resistance should not be of concern...In the case of transportation, well I think I would add a motor anyway, so again not much of a concern....

In reply to #8

11/30/2019 1:42 PM

I understand where your coming from, but tell me how many people exercise and wear those ankle and wrist weights?

While exercise is an expected side benefit of cycling. Very few people hop on their cycle with nowhere to go. Meaning quick and efficient transportation is and always will be the primary goal.

Adding resistance only takes away from the distance you are able to travel comfortably.

With electric assist bikes you are also able to add to that distance dramatically while still getting a good amount of exercise.

Again, adding resistance ...just like with the Tesla truck only reduces the amount of distance you are able to travel.

In reply to #10

11/30/2019 2:17 PM

"Very few people hop on their cycle with nowhere to go."

I do it every day.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

11/30/2019 2:36 PM

That's commendable. I will amend my statement with.. . Unless they are living a life of leisure.. (retirement)

From your perspective, would you like to increase your rolling resistance some for your daily routine?

You can cycle a shorter distance and get the same benefits?

In reply to #12

11/30/2019 4:01 PM

Nope, I'll keep my tires around 40PSI and ride 4 miles. That usually takes about 30 minutes and I find that it's a good way to start my day of leisure.

I repair BMX bikes for charity, so I have an air compressor near where I park my bike.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #15

11/30/2019 6:16 PM

I'm with you on that. I wish you were in my neighborhood when I was a kid. As the youngest of four. Reasonable bikes were hard to come by back then.

One day I was able to buy a bmx from my cousin's neighbor a couple cities over and I was thrilled...$26 on a $2 allowance.

I barely had money for a cheap lock.

That same day my bike was stolen outside the Ben Franklin.. bits of my cheap lock on the ground.

It was years before I had a bike of my own.

Fortunately I had good knees and could run or skateboard for miles without exhaustion.. ah youth.

Love that you do bikes for kids. I've given surplus bikes to a local bike shop org that puts them back on the street fixed up, but it's not quite free. I like your method much better.

In reply to #10

11/30/2019 3:22 PM

..."...how many people exercise and wear those ankle and wrist weights?"...

Shirley you jest....I used to wear these all the time...and carry 20lb barbells while shadow boxing...

In reply to #13

11/30/2019 3:37 PM

How did I know that was coming?

Most people don't wear wrestling masks at the computer.. or shadow box with 20lb barbells.

I personally work hard while using heavy tools and materials to stay in shape.

I'll bet you're an investor and that airless bike tires are not part of your portfolio.

My son takes boxing classes and has worn those weights.. and he likes his tires firm when he's biking to boxing class. He must have his priorities out of sorts.

In reply to #14

11/30/2019 4:24 PM

Biking? ..he should be running...and I used to work for a living(mechanical contractor), and yes I am an investor now...and the face mask is for mitigating wind chill while riding motorcycles in cold weather, another thing I don't do anymore....

The lightweight closed cell foam rubber materials they have out now are amazing, incredibly light weight and tough, I have several pairs of shoes made with this material, it's the closest thing to going barefoot I have found, while keeping the foot cool, protected and comfortable....So I wouldn't be surprised if the tires were better than what you would expect...they do seem to be a bit pricey at $70, but I guess it all comes down to priorities....

In reply to #16

11/30/2019 6:05 PM

My son would run, but much to his dismay he has knee problems that prevent this.

I was just funin' about the mask. I'm sure there's a logical reason to have that. I can appreciate the face mask for motorcycle riding.. I don't ride anymore myself, but I will again someday.

It's the closed cell foam that bothers me. I still remember the store display from back in the day showing a cross section of this new tire innovation! It had nails and screws in the piece, as well as a flatter spot where people pinched it between their fingers.

So.. yeah. That memory sticks with me and colors my opinion a bit.

$70?! That's worth more than a few bikes around here. Considering I can pick up nearly new bikes in the alley on a regular basis.

As a real example I have a wonderful loaner bike for guests that's an old Schwinn (it was free, and only neeed tires and tubes) with a banana seat and ape hangers. It's outside year round and I put in heavy duty tubes a couple years ago. I can't remember if I've needed to add air again?

My latest Trek is fantastic. Free. Aired the tires. Adjusted the gearing and brakes. Mint condition. Apparently it was too tough for a novice and too $crewed at a bike shop.

10 minutes for me.

My alleys are great.

Today I got new plywood sheets, new heavy duty casters, a like new super squeegee, more gardening tools than I care to list, chain.. etc. I left a kids bmx and a nice steel patio table and chairs a working battery charger and a lot more..

When people move.. they toss like crazy.

Like the shop squeegee. I won't buy certain items I'd like to have because I know I'll find one soon enough.

11/30/2019 1:01 PM

I rode a Chinese OFO rental bike with solid tires, once.

I'd rather walk.

I'm pretty sure the solid/airless tires shown here are not that harsh.

Register to Reply
Guru

Re: Heavy Duty Bike Tubes, Review/Side Benefit

12/03/2019 10:26 PM

Put great stuff into 8" garden cart wheel the other day. Now that's a good airless tire.

Good Answers: 7

12/04/2019 5:38 AM

Too many moons ago, I ran a sporting equipment shop. We were not in the greatest economic area of Baltimore, and the bulk of our sales were bicycles. I found it quite inventive of the young lads that came into the shop for replacement of the tires on their (quite skidded on ) worn out tires. When removing the tire from the rim, many of them had cut the tread area from another tire and placed it inside of the outer tire. They stated that they never got flats. I guess the extra padding was enough to keep the bits of glass from penetrating the tube. We also sold a little accessory item that was sort of spring loaded and rubbed on the tires. It would knock the glass off before it could dig in too deep and cause leaks. I tried them on my personal bike, one with the high pressure tubular tires and I never got flats. I suppose they worked!!

Cheers,

Gary

Good Answers: 14

12/04/2019 4:28 PM

This bike has tubeless tires......

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Calnet42 (1); JE in Chicago (8); lyn (4); mastrsmth (1); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (4); Stef (1)

Previous in Forum: Happy Thanksgiving   Next in Forum: Thanksgiving Video: Storm of the Century

Advertisement