Previous in Forum: Synchronizing Pneumatic Telescopic Cylinders   Next in Forum: Improvising, Where Necessity is the Mother of Invention
Close
Close
Close
18 comments

Material for Impeller ID Fan for Coal Fired Heater

03/19/2020 8:46 AM

Hey. I want to inquire about the material that would be the most suitable for impeller and cone of an ID fan installed for flue gas of a Coal Fired Heater.I am facing an issue of wearing and abrasion and i want to eliminate that. Currently I am stuck between SS 304 and SS 2205. What other options can i possibly explore. Thank you!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Material for Impeller ID fan for Coal Fired Heater

03/19/2020 8:53 AM

Well, there are as many options as there are materials. The forum needs to know:

• the original equipment manufacturer [OEM] 's material, and why is that material currently deemed unacceptable
  • the nature of the discussions with the OEM and the recommendations received during those discussions

to form a view.

The nature of the fluid passing through the <...impeller and cone of an ID fan...> is of immediate interest, including its temperature and pressure, as is the condition of any upstream solids removal equipment, on the basis of the <...wearing and abrasion...> taking place. The issue of <...eliminate that...> might be something other than the <...material...for impeller and cone...> in that respect.

What has been withheld from the forum is possibly of more value than that which hasn't.

In reply to #1

03/19/2020 9:22 AM

The OEM material is SS 304. The material is deemed unacceptable because of the increased erosion at the impeller and the cone of the ID caused by the Flue gases from the coal fired heater. The recommendation received is changing the material to SS 2205. The temperature of the flue gases is about 220 Degrees. Flowrate and pressure are not known. And there is no upstream solid removal equipment. Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

03/19/2020 9:26 AM

What is the frequency of change of the <...SS 304...impeller...>, and why is this <...unacceptable...>?

What is it that makes <...SS 2205...unacceptable...>, given the answer to the above?

Anonymous Poster #1

03/19/2020 9:58 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

03/19/2020 10:53 AM

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

03/19/2020 12:21 PM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

03/19/2020 1:04 PM

I would just step up the hardness of the material, which has to do with heat treatment and composition, so which grade is the hardest....?

Good Answers: 1727
In reply to #7

03/19/2020 7:24 PM

Good Answers: 70

03/19/2020 11:29 PM

Other suggestions seem to suggest an improvement in corrosion capability, but not erosion, which is what the application would suggest. One solution for erosion is a soft resilient coating, so particulate impacts deform the coating rather than scour it. Never seen this on a fan, though. In hot mineral processing, carbide plating is used to extend the life of high friction areas. I would look at coal pulverizer metallurgy, as the conveying equipment sees an order of magnitude higher particulate loading, and usually operates at higher tip velocity.

Most of the ID fans I’ve had to apply were installed on the clean side of pollution control equipment such as electrostatic precipitators, so erosion was not a big factor.

Also, we might assume DegF for your temperature, but best not left to imagination...

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #9

03/20/2020 5:34 AM

Agree that soft resilient coatings are worth looking at for erosion, but I would assume that in this case the OP is talking Centigrade.

Corrosion at 200o C should not be a major issue.

Abrasion resistant wear plates would be my first choice, but these require a redesign of the impeller.

Simpler would be a tungsten carbide coating in the erosion affected areas (prior to balancing).

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #10

03/20/2020 4:44 PM

In reply to #9

03/20/2020 9:21 AM

The OP said nothing about <...corrosion...>.

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #14

03/20/2020 10:50 AM

Yes, that was the point. The 2205 alloy suggested offered corrosion improvements...

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409

Re: Material for Impeller ID Fan for Coal Fired Heater

03/20/2020 6:12 AM

With the info you supplied,... if you want to stay with stainless, 310 would be more abrasion resistant than 304, I don’t know if it’ll be enough to make a difference.

i had done some research on this for material for use in a cyclone that use use abrasive material that was 304 SS. It was hold up pretty good (better) with 310ss, that was 7 years ago, and there are fewer ‘repair patches’ with the same amount of use. 24/7

I’m don’t have the metallurgical background require here to make Equivalent or better material to be applied here, the SS2205 with its ferrite content may able be harden, but I’m sure it’s done already.

In reply to #11

03/20/2020 6:37 AM

S S 304 is very weak material against abrasion,

Use Nickle hard material,it will corrosion resistance, heat resistant & has good wear resistance normally used in Cement Industry.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #12

03/20/2020 6:52 AM

Yes, and thanks for the comment.

As I understand and posted, 310SS is slightly better for being abrasion resistance, but it is uncertain, if it’s enough to make a difference.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

03/20/2020 2:27 PM

I've always found unobtanium to be the ideal substance to use under nebulous conditions.

Good Answers: 249

03/20/2020 8:01 PM

Stellite 6B should do it.$$$$

https://www.stellite.com/us/en/home.html

Hard surfacing of the high wear areas with Stellite 6B is recommended.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); HiTekRedNek (1); MJCronin (1); Muhammad Zafar Iqbal (1); phoenix911 (2); PWSlack (4); redfred (1); Rixter (1); rwilliams (2); Saad419 (1); SolarEagle (2); The Prof (1)

Previous in Forum: Synchronizing Pneumatic Telescopic Cylinders   Next in Forum: Improvising, Where Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Advertisement