Previous in Forum: Aircraft Structures Numerical Based on Composites   Next in Forum: Starlink Satellites
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811

Apollo 13 - Fifty Years Ago

04/14/2020 5:46 AM

It is now 50 years since the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission to the Moon, one that turned out to be a "successful failure", in returning 3 astronauts safely to Earth following an incident that crippled the spacecraft en route. The whole world held its breath and hoped for a good outcome.

The story has been dramatised in a highly-regarded feature film, and rendered the expressions "Houston - we have a problem" and "Failure is not an option" into common parlance.

There is still a lot to be learned from the incident. Gene Krantz's autobiography, which embraces the topic, is compelling reading for those interested in space, Engineering, problem-solving and leadership.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 403

Re: Apollo 13 - Fifty Years Ago

04/14/2020 12:24 PM

Power of the slide rule.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012
In reply to #1

04/14/2020 4:46 PM

As I recall, they McGyver engineered the CO2 scrubbing system...

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

04/14/2020 6:38 PM

Well, I was in grade school, and they let us watch the recently. And as I recall, they had a small window to enter the earth atmosphere, too shallow, it would bounce off into space,... to steep and it would burn up. It had to be just (baby bear ) right.

that aspect was in the movie too.

Good Answers: 1701

04/14/2020 4:58 PM

Simple fix...

When running duct work we used to do this all the time....

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #3

04/15/2020 4:05 AM

That's a very powerful scene.

Good Answers: 10

04/14/2020 11:29 PM

I'm skeptical. Viewership of the launch was surpassed by "I Love Lucy". People were losing interest in the space program. I think they needed something to regain public interest (and tax dollars).

Guru

In reply to #5

04/15/2020 3:59 AM

The chances of it being "just a stunt" to raise television viewing figures are incredibly low!

However, the suggestion does raise interesting questions as to the collective state of mind of television viewers of the time.

In reply to #5

04/15/2020 8:22 AM

your starting conspiracy theories?...

To launch a rocket was always high risk...

By the time Apollo 13, it was well known people were losing interest in moon landings,... why?,... because it become routine. And when the explosion happened,... that drew attention, why?,... because it was no longer routine.

Here’s a thought to your conspiracies...

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #8

04/15/2020 10:02 AM

All very true, And still we can't have nice things at twice the price.

https://www.space.com/28411-spacex-boeing-nasa-space-race.html

Jan 30, 2015 · SpaceX will receive $2.6 billion of the $6.8 billion total in the contract, and Boeing will get $4.2 billion.

Looks good for May to June so far.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/04/13/bridenstine...

1 day ago · NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken are training for the Crew Dragon test flight, which will be the first mission to launch astronauts into Earth orbit from U.S. soil since the retirement...

In reply to #9

04/15/2020 11:23 AM

And still we can't have nice things at twice the price

I don’t really know what you mean by that...

In reply to #10

04/15/2020 11:37 AM

Its a continuation of your thought brought up to date with current events. Boeing was given twice as much money to build ONLY the capsule. They still haven't had a successful test let alone actual flight.

Space X is building the capsule, (flight proven) the launch vehicle (designed and built specifically for manned spaceflight) and the launch complex (because, well we don't actually have one any more) for half of the price paid to Boeing which has yet failed to demonstrate the money was well spent.

Sometimes the lowest bidder is the best deal, when that bidder is not part of a corrupt government system.

That's all.

In reply to #11

04/15/2020 11:51 AM

That is the problem with defense contractors... complacency...

On going on that same line of thought,... it was brought up that we could use the same technology we did 50 years ago to go to the moon.

that was shot down, because all the as built drawings, information were lost... none no longer existed... what NASA had or from the contractors.

In reply to #12

04/15/2020 12:01 PM

I just can't fathom that. We lost the plans to the Saturn V? That's taking incompetence to a whole new level. "Man's greatest achievement" lost due to a filing error. LOL

In reply to #13

04/15/2020 1:00 PM

I shouldn’t have simplified it as much, because its more complicated than that... and understandable so. But yes, in essence, the resources were lost.

Forbes has a good article on the reasons why.

In reply to #14

04/17/2020 2:57 PM

Well take heart my friend. We are going back to space. We have a date!

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-nasa-astronauts-demo-2-launch-date.html

In reply to #15

04/17/2020 3:21 PM

I’m all for it...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

phoenix911 (7); PWSlack (2); rashavarek (4); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); steve45 (1)

Previous in Forum: Aircraft Structures Numerical Based on Composites   Next in Forum: Starlink Satellites

Advertisement