Previous in Forum: Milling Machine   Next in Forum: Digital Resonant Pneumatic Multi Valve
Close
Close
Close
23 comments

Milling Machine

08/26/2020 5:18 AM

What is the difference between angular milling, form milling and profile milling operations? Are the cutters for all these operations different, or can we use end mills for these operations?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: milling opreations
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: Milling Machine

08/26/2020 6:48 AM
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

08/26/2020 10:56 AM

This site is not a permission-giving entity, nor is it any position to formally assess the capabilities of its subscribers.

The time for opening the User Manual for that equipment has long passed.

Fancy a dare?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 112

08/26/2020 11:19 PM

No offense intended but I went through a five year apprenticeship to learn all that and more. Please don't ask for a text response on such a wide ranging subject, especially when those terms are often used differently in different areas and industries and in different contexts.

Use the links provided above and a gazillion other web pages to do your research.

Good luck.

Hooker

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #3

08/28/2020 9:05 AM

Thanks for saying this. I dont get it?Are we that lazy these days that we cannot open the google and type this info into the search engine? I remember a time before the internet when i needed to repair something on my car or wanted reviews on a washing machine, or how to negotiate buying an automobile. i would go to the local library and used Chilton manual or past Consumer Reports magazines. Then went to the copy machine and copied all pertinent information needed.

Today all this information and so much more is in my pocket.. IN MY POCKET!!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #4

08/28/2020 9:15 AM

You are more than welcome. I look forward to the detailed questions that often pop up here but questions that require an entire curriculum to address are not productive.

BTW, if the OP is truly interested in the subject for the long term he should invest in one of these:

Click Here

My copy is 54 years old but is still valid.

Hooker

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #5

08/28/2020 1:16 PM

Mine is "The New American Machinist Handbook" although its date is 1955

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #5

08/29/2020 2:21 AM

I still use my 21st Edition - 1979.

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #5

08/29/2020 9:31 AM

Wow: what a book!

I probably shouldn't do this, but, there is a "free" pdf of the 29th edition here

https://www.vtc1.org/cms/lib/PA03000913/Centricity/Domain/21/Machinerys%20Handbook%2029th%20Edition.pdf

In reply to #12

08/29/2020 9:52 AM

It is an amazing book. During my apprenticeship we had an entire class dedicated to learning how to navigate it so as not to get mired down in all the details.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 287
In reply to #13

09/10/2020 10:04 AM

Thanks again for the tip: I got a copy off ebay for £32 (about $43). It's still in its original cardboard box, and, is in good condition although it has been used with oily fingers (just adds to its provenance).

In reply to #17

09/10/2020 10:54 AM

Oily fingerprints!! That's awesome. Proves it was used productively and didn't always sit on a shelf gathering dust like so many reference books.

Mine is a bit tawdry too, but that doesn't detract from its value one bit.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 410
In reply to #5

08/29/2020 10:55 AM

Wow,... did the price come down,... If I recall correctly,.., my was quite expensive over 30 years ago.... but then again,... it was over 30 years ago,... and only seemed expensive... (not that it wasn’t worth it)

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

06/03/2021 12:29 PM

Just paging through some old post.

The only problem I have with the Machinery’s Handbook is the print is small and getting harder to read as my book gets older...

In reply to #19

06/03/2021 4:06 PM

Yep. I'm worried that soon there won't be any magnifying glasses strong enough.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/03/2021 5:10 PM

Are you saying, it’s me, and not my MH print getting smaller?... that’s a strawmans fallacy,... a red herring I’m telling you...

In reply to #21

06/03/2021 6:18 PM

Dang, I hate when I get caught trolling!!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #22

06/03/2021 8:10 PM

Then again,... it’s nice when ones work is noticed.

In reply to #4

08/29/2020 12:15 AM

thank you for making me regret asking questions. it might actually takes you the same amount of time to write an answers than writing some thing offensive.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #8

08/29/2020 10:48 AM

Would you like ketchup with that?

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

08/29/2020 12:15 AM

thank you for making me regret asking questions. it might actually takes you the same amount of time to write an answers than writing some thing offensive.

Guru

In reply to #7

08/29/2020 7:28 AM

Very well, since you're obviously too lazy to even compose individual responses to us I'll indulge you.

From a 30 second web search:

Angle Milling

Profile Milling

Form Milling

As for using an end mill for all of that, very unlikely.

BTW, the last link is to an online book that even details a dozen or more other milling operations. I suggest you save that link.

Have a wonderful day.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #10

08/29/2020 8:46 AM

PS - I forgot to mention. You can simulate nearly any milling operation and cut nearly any shape with a multi-axis CNC milling machine and a ball end mill.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

08/31/2020 7:00 AM

I'm late to the game here but here goes my two cents.

All of these can be done with an end mill and the correct set-up, such as I do with manual mills. Also, all of these can be done with other cutters. The example of facing a plate comes to mind: I can take a few passes with an end mill or I can take one with a fly-cutter. Making an internal radius on the end of a part: I can use an end mill and a rotary table or a boring bar and head.

As far as the syntax in working, as mentioned before it is variable with location and the shop you are in. Where I am now a profile can be any surface on a part. In another shop it is reserved for things (or features) protruding from or going into a surface.

For general information like this you should look up what cutters are and what your machines can do. I'm old enough I remember using a cherrying attachment and being very happy.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Register to Reply 23 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Hooker (8); mahtsentu (2); phoenix911 (4); PWSlack (1); Randall (2); setlock77 (2); SolarEagle (1); The Prof (1); Torqued (1)

Previous in Forum: Milling Machine   Next in Forum: Digital Resonant Pneumatic Multi Valve

Advertisement