Previous in Forum: Center of Tree Trunk Burned Out: Is This Common?   Next in Forum: UFOs?
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Active Contributor

Air Leaks Through Air Intake; Have No Clue

05/15/2021 4:13 AM

Hi engineers and jacks of all trades. Excellent and very interesting forum Thanks for the opportunity.

I've have had my 18 year old Ingersol Rand Rotary screw compressor with dryer Model number: UP6-7.5TAS-125 W/ since new. Only has 200 hours )))

Routine Oil and filter changes have been done.

I have not had one issue with this compressor until a few weeks ago. The compressor runs up to 125 PSI, shuts off as advertised, but air is leaking out through the air intake manifold. As the air pressure drops to 100 PSI the compressor engages and starts the air loss cycle again through the air intake housing. I installed a new intake valve and that didn't solve the problem. Does oil have to run through the intake to close the valve at high pressure? Does any one have any experience with Ingersol Rand Rotary screw compessors? Thanks in advance for any support. Semper Fi. Jim

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: Air leaks through air intake; have no clue

05/15/2021 4:41 AM

Sounds like a bad or missing seal, o-ring, damaged gasket...have you been performing the scheduled maintenance?

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/manuals/ir_rotary_manual_up5up6_2.pdf

https://www.portlandcompressor.com/store/thermal-control-valve

In reply to #1

Re: Air leaks through air intake; have no clue

05/16/2021 12:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think you nailed the problem...to be honest I have not been preventative maintenence vigilant as I normally am with all my machines because I don't use the unit very much; when I do only for short periods of time. I bought the unit in 2006 and I use occasionally, but not like a huge shop. And I am not that intelligent on compressors. Give me a 60s-70s muscle car V8 and I could assemble blind folded. ))) The unit has under 200 hours. I learned a lesson once again!

I did call IR Tech line and the lady would not give out any advice except she would send a techncian to my shop...egads, imagine the cost of that!!!

I will definitely read the links...thank you so much!

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

Re: Air Leaks Through Air Intake; Have No Clue

05/15/2021 4:39 PM

No luck on the ‘phone with <...Ingersoll

Rand...>, then?

In reply to #2

05/16/2021 12:35 AM

Thank you for the response. I did call the IR Tech line and the lady would not give out any advice except she would send a techncian to my shop...egads, imagine the cost of that!!! I'm retired now, so the $$$ flow is down to a "trickle.". I'm gonna call again and push the envelope for more help.

Login to Reply
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

05/15/2021 8:20 PM

I have no picture of what this looks like.

Are you sure it's leaking back out through the intake housing? Can you put a piece of Saran wrap over the intake when the compressor is not running and detect the leakage?

This may help in troubleshooting:

https://www.titusco.com/how-to-find-a-leak-in-your-industrial-air-compressor-what-to-do-about-it/

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

05/16/2021 12:57 AM

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the air is defineitly leaking through the Air Intake...I can feel the air rushing through and out the intake valve. I will use a plastic bag too and get back with you.

Excellent vidoe and I'm studying the link you sent. On MOnday, I'm gonna press the IR tech line to send me a schemtic so I can view each valve.

Login to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

05/16/2021 2:19 AM

I found this article: reads "...you have only once choice when the compressor symptom is air coming out the intake filter. You need to replace the valve plate." You think???
I am researching where the valve plate is located for my compressor.

Air coming out the intake filter

fix-my-compressor.com

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

05/16/2021 10:24 AM

Air coming out the intake filter

It sounds like that article is referring to a different type of compressor. It refers to an "air cylinder piston". I believe yours is the "Rotary Screw" type.

"

Overview of the Different Types of Air Compressors

The purpose of an air compressor is to pressurize captured ambient air for use as power in a range of industrial applications. There are several types of mechanisms that can make this happen. Air compressors are manufactured in the following categories:

• Rotary screw compressors: These models consist of two counter-turning rotors through which incoming supplies of air are pressurized.
  • Reciprocating compressors: These models consist of pressurization chambers in which air is sucked in with a crankshaft and pressurized with the stroke of a piston. Single-stage compressors consist of one chamber while two-stage compressors consist of a main pressurization chamber and a second, smaller chamber that re-pressurizes the air at a higher level.
  • Centrifugal compressors: These models suck air into the center of a rotating impeller where pressurization occurs through a set of rotating blades.

Air compressors are manufactured in lubricated and oil-free designs."

https://www.titusco.com/how-to-find-a-leak-in-your-industrial-air-compressor-what-to-do-about-it/

Login to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #10

05/16/2021 12:47 PM

You are correct. Discovered that late last night after reading more ha ha ha ha

Login to Reply
Active Contributor

05/16/2021 3:24 AM

Anyone know where the valve plate is located? See attached. I found several repair manuals for my compressor, but does not have any details for Valve Plate. Thx in advance. dagram please.

Login to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 48

05/16/2021 9:47 AM

There will be a non return valve located somewhere between the compressor discharge and the air tank inlet, often forming the tank inlet connector itself. This is a common cause of problems with compressors. Sometimes the NRV just needs cleaning, otherwise it’s usually easy to replace.

In reply to #9

05/16/2021 12:50 PM

Thank you! I don’t have a solid parts schematic, so I’ll call IR TOMORROW. Happy Sunday. Blessings. )))

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

05/16/2021 9:50 PM

I'm thinking that's a good possibility. A piece of dirt in the check valve seat could be the problem. GA.

Login to Reply
Guru

05/16/2021 6:30 PM

In reply to #13

05/16/2021 9:55 PM

Excellent read...thank you. The second link shows an IR check valve for my model compressor?

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

05/16/2021 10:02 PM

I don't know... need a parts manual....but whether it is or not, we now know one exists and is the likely source of the leak...I would yank it out and try to clean it...

In reply to #16

05/16/2021 10:41 PM

Thanks. I need to find the check valve first.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

05/17/2021 12:53 AM

https://fix-my-compressor.com/compressor-tank-check-valve/

..."There's often another check valve installed just below the compressor element. This one makes sure that once the compressed air/oil mixture cannot flow back into the compressor element when the compressor stops. And, there is the check valve on the outlet of the air compressor."...

https://www.air-compressor-guide.com/air-compressors/how-oil-injected-rotary-screw-compressors-work/

https://www.about-air-compressors.com/buying-a-replacement-compressor-tank-check-valve/

In reply to #18

05/17/2021 1:34 AM

Thanks for the continued effort to assist me. Great forum!

Check the link below (manual for my compressor) and go to page 14 and find "valve, check." The check valve is shown in the schematic on page 13. Appears the location is on the air intake valve itself. I actually removed this check valve from the old air intake and installed in the new unit I bought. You think this may be the "check valve"? I'll eyeball the compressor for a different location when I get up. Geez, these compressors are known to run 50,000 hour life expectancy! Mine has less than 200 hours. I use the air for everything.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/manuals/ir_rotary_manual_up5up6_2.pdf

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

05/17/2021 4:43 AM

Well I think this falls under general maintenance, you did say it was 18 years old I think ....You really should have tested it when you had it in your hand, but hindsight and all...so it probably just needs to be cleaned, and at least you know where it is...could be they both need to be cleaned...Well let us know how it plays out....and I hope your mother will be ok....mortality is a hard thing to deal with sometimes...

In reply to #21

05/17/2021 4:37 PM

Yes. I already mentioned I did not conduct maintenance like I should have. I hope that is the check valve we have been discussing. The air intake valve is brand nee IR unit.

Thanks for the well wishes

taxiing for launch!!

Login to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #18

05/17/2021 1:37 AM

Tomorrow, I've got to fly to NE to visit my 98 year old Mom; she is ill. I appreciate all the support; quite extraordinary compared to other forums. Blessings to all.

Login to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #20

05/17/2021 3:49 PM

No problem. Thanks for the personal mention.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Goat (12); Holzfeller (1); jack of all trades (1); PWSlack (1); Rixter (3); SolarEagle (5)

Previous in Forum: Center of Tree Trunk Burned Out: Is This Common?   Next in Forum: UFOs?

Advertisement