Previous in Forum: Denial Is Still A River in Egypt   Next in Forum: Pool Fountain Acting Strange
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 3

Elon Musk: Tesla Charging Stations Opening to Other EVs

08/11/2021 12:21 PM

https://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/16971/elon-musk-tesla-charging-stations-opening-to-other-evs#comment1312272

Very bad move Elon.

Imagine you're a Tesla owner and you're low on charge but a Tesla charging station is close at hand to save you but when you get there it's full of slow charging Chinese junkmobiles waiting to get charged up and there's an estimated 10 hour wait before you can get access.

As a Tesla owner you financed those fast charging stations which were part of the reason you bought a Tesla and now you don't have that fast charging guarantee any more.

Thanks a lot Elon, 10 minutes of humble bragging for you but it screws your owners royally.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: Elon Musk: Tesla Charging Stations Opening to Other EVs

08/11/2021 5:54 PM

I think the charging app tells you what charging stations are available...he's probably opening the charging stations to others because they mostly sit unoccupied and unused...

..and he's raising the prices for charging...good luck with that

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 399

08/11/2021 8:44 PM

No decision ever made can totally evade the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Should I have the stuffed jalapeños or the deep-fried mushrooms with my beer?

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

08/13/2021 11:08 PM

Ha! What a joke!

What happens when all these electric vehicles get stuck in a massive traffic jam on a very hot day, or during a winter storm and you end up with 800 vehicles with dead batteries? Hmmm???

Think people! Electric vehicles are really a stupid idea!

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 79
In reply to #3

08/14/2021 7:42 AM

The same thing as with gas vehicles. Some will run out of juice and some will be OK.

One thing you should realize is that while stop, an electric vehicle consumes very little energy. Only the AC and the heating would operate. So if the people use common sense, they can turn these down and the battery will last for days.

At least, with electric vehicles, the jammed highways will not become a toxic and overheated accumulation of idling vehicles. You will be able to breathe with your widows down...

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #5

08/14/2021 1:29 PM

One thing YOU should realize is that, while stopped, a gasoline vehicle consumes very little energy as well. If you want to turn off your A/C when the ambient temp is 108°F, be my guest. Just put your windows down and sweat!

Likewise, if you wish to sit through one of your Canadian snow storms with no heat, enjoy!

Highways jammed with gasoline-powered vehicles will not become 'toxic'. Emissions of modern vehicles are virtually non-existent.

You really should get your information from somewhere other than 'Captain Planet'.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

08/14/2021 4:21 PM

lol. You are funny. Have a good day!

United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #8

08/25/2021 12:10 PM

I respect you decision to continue to drive gasoline vehicles, I would like to hope that you would respect mine to drive electric.

Based on your comment about them being stupid or a bad idea, I feel that you are uneducated when it comes to electric vehicles when compared to gasoline vehicles.

For instance, I can sit in a traffic jam with my car running for 16-20 hours on half charge with my heat or a/c running. I can do that with zero emissions. I charge daily to prevent having less than the power I would need for emergency.

I have driven gasoline vehicles for my entire life and they still have a place in my world. I have owned my Chevy Bolt for about 4 months. in that 4 months I have saved over $1000 in fuel costs and spent 200 on electric. These are real numbers. I average 4.2 miles per Kwh of electricity used. that equates to approximately 125 mpg equivalent.

Tell me what do you drive and what mileage do you get?

Oh and I get my information from engineering journals, the experts at both Chevrolet and Tesla, as well as some very astute websites that have nothing to do with any of the companies that manufacture EV's.

So before you go off half cocked and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and do some real research. I did my research for about 2 years before I made my informed decision.

Good Answers: 22

08/14/2021 1:36 AM

Supply and demand: not enough Teslas a for the chargers to be used enough to make money, so open up to others.

Then when they see the faster charging, might but Tesla next time.

Or will give Tesla a near monopoly on charging points, so price can be hiked.

Future investment.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994
In reply to #4

08/15/2021 2:03 PM

I'm thinking Elon wants to recoup some of his expense before the government spends trillions of tax dollars on charging stations and windmills.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22
In reply to #10

08/15/2021 4:40 PM

If governments spend on anything, it is at their friends convenience.

Tesla is big enough to tender for the contract, now they are proving that all other electric vehicles can use their chargers which gives them an edge against the competition.

Location: Houston the Emerald City that would be Oz, TX serving art collectors and patrons worldwide
Good Answers: 8

08/14/2021 11:06 AM

I totally disagree. There are places throughout the US finding any charging station is a non-starter. I know, I regularly travel to them. The sooner universality makes it to the charging not-a-grid grid, the sooner we will have true E-vehical functionality. As for the "screwed Tesla owners" this outreach by Elon will very likely lead to similar actions by non-Tesla charger operators towards the Tesla market. (If you are Tesla owner, driving in the great American outback and the only charging station(s) you can find are not compatible, then you are REALLY TOTAlLY screwed.)

08/14/2021 1:03 PM

Sparse charging stations is not really an issue as most family have more than one vehicle. Until the fast chargers are available everywhere, they can have one EV for local traveling and commuting to work and use the IC for long travel.

The beauty of the EV is that you recharge it overnight using your relatively inexpensive electricity. Few people have a daily commute requiring recharging before coming back home.

Range anxiety is a self-caused problem. You only need to use common sense, and everything is fine.

Of course there are some people who try to push the limits and take risks. That is OK with me as long as they don't demand that I subsidize charging stations just so that they can beat their personal record.

Same thing for the hypermilers. I am fine with that but don't drive at 60kph in the left lane of the highway. Stay in the right lane and enjoy your life without bothering others.

Location: Houston the Emerald City that would be Oz, TX serving art collectors and patrons worldwide
Good Answers: 8
In reply to #7

08/25/2021 2:19 PM

You obviously live in an insular State. Places like the City States of Houston, Dallas, LA, Phoenix have long travel for most, if not most, of their residents to do daily business. Business that is far beyond simple suburban mommies and daddies going to the big downtown office tower 8-5 desk riding.

United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 25

08/24/2021 1:13 PM

I purchased my Chevy Bolt in March. I have charged it a grand total of 4 times on fast chargers. I use it to travel back and forth to work which is well within the range for a full charge. I drive it 113 miles daily.

I get that Tesla drivers get annoyed at decisions like this and I can relate to that. But I charge my car at home every night and stay within my range.

As for whether its a good or bad move on Mr. Musk's part? That is something that is yet to be seen.

I have yet to do any traveling in it but I imagine I will use the 5 P's when I do so.

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); double_j_b (2); GM1964 (2); marcot (3); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); Stephen Archer (2); steve45 (2)

Previous in Forum: Denial Is Still A River in Egypt   Next in Forum: Pool Fountain Acting Strange

Advertisement