Previous in Forum: DeLorean 2.0   Next in Forum: What are these?
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 253

A rebel ant scout?

05/31/2022 7:05 AM

I had a problem with sugar ants in my kitchen.They are very tiny but get everywhere once they have found access.

I put a bottle cap full of water mixed with honey and Boric Acid on my window sill,and spun a thread onto the sill right in their path so they could not miss it.

Boric acid has a short time delay before it kills the insects.

They found the thread and followed it to the "lake" of honey water.

A single line of ants formed, headed for the treat.They left with their abdomens swollen,filled to the max.Like a puppy that has had too much milk.

I was observing them with a magnifying glass.

Eventually,a single ant broke formation, away from the column,and went to the side of the bottle cap,a good distance away, and observed the other ants.Another ant came to him and tried to lead him to the treat,but the would not move,he just stayed there watching the others.

The other ant tried unsuccessfully several times,enhancing the chemical trail to the honey water to guide the observer to the treat,but he refused until the ant put some of the mixture onto the observer ant's antennae.
Then the observer ant followed him over to the treat and feasted like the others.Within 10 minutes the ants had disappeared.And never came back.

I thought ants were hard wired to follow a chemical trail laid down by other ants,but it seems to me this one was a scout to see why the others were getting sick.So why did he break the rules?

Was he lost,or really was sent to observe?

I would like to see this repeated in a controlled environment.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1750

Re: A rebel ant scout?

05/31/2022 9:49 AM

There could be any number of explanations for this behavior...maybe he was observing you...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #1

05/31/2022 9:54 AM

It’s interesting how they operated… they follow scent… some times they get into what’s called the circle of death…

In reply to #3

05/31/2022 10:17 AM

That is what the Boric Acid does.They take it back and feed the queen and larvae with it;Wipes out the whole colony.

My question is why did one ant not follow the hard wired instructions and follow the well traveled trail?

Is this a Robert Frost ant?

I had no more ants after a few minutes,so it works well.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

05/31/2022 12:46 PM

That ant may have evolved, and now they are thinking in a new type of collective…

kill it, while you still have a chance…

In reply to #1

06/01/2022 8:22 AM

05/31/2022 9:51 AM

You need to buy any type of poison that gets on the ants, that brings it back to the nest..

any Walmart or gardening center should have this…

05/31/2022 2:32 PM

I have one question, how did you know it was a rebel, and not a yankee?

In reply to #6

05/31/2022 2:51 PM

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049

05/31/2022 2:39 PM

I don't know about your ant friend, but I once saw a group of ants carrying a dead beetle up the wall. As I watched, they carried it to a gap between the window and window screen, turning it this way and that, trying to get it through.

I decided some Devine Intervention was warranted, so I helped them out by pulling the screen out with a screwdriver, making the gap large enough that they could get it through.

There seems to be some kind of group intelligence that allows a large group of insects to accomplish a task without any one of them in charge.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

05/31/2022 2:57 PM

There is also a large group stupidity that does nothing,accomplishes nothing,and by some stroke of low intelligence is consistently elected to represent the public at large.

"Beware of strong drink.It may make you shoot at tax collectors,lawyers and politicians and miss." Mark Twain

In reply to #9

05/31/2022 3:41 PM

Please leave politics out of it… or I’ll send you to the crying room… to cheer up the people that shall remain nameless But before you go… you need to wear a tiara… you know… to fit in…

In reply to #11

06/01/2022 8:05 AM

I did not consider my reply to be political,since I did not name a particular party because it applies to all governments,regardless of philosophy.

Of course,if you look for an offense,you will surely find it.

Complete this sentence:

Robin Hood,Robin Hood,

Going over the falls,

Little John Little John,

Gabbed him by his-----

In reply to #16

06/01/2022 1:13 PM

Hey, I’m the one that normally offends hyper-sensitive people. They told me so…

I think I’ll send you to the crying room anyways… pack light….

In reply to #19

06/01/2022 2:22 PM

Remember what I said about being elected?

Lighten up!.

Life is too short to turn over rocks and logs looking for offending things,unless you are of course,trying to defend your organization.

(Ok,kids,don't make me come down there!)...The Shadow knows

In reply to #19

06/05/2022 7:33 AM

Even a one-eyed man can be king in the land of the blind.

In reply to #7

05/31/2022 3:08 PM

Hey ya wanna get a place at the table, ya gotta feed the queen....every worker knows this...

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #7

06/01/2022 1:37 AM

And there seems to be a group mind control ability that compels a human to help them out when needed. (",)

In reply to #12

06/01/2022 3:19 AM

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 59

06/01/2022 3:17 AM

I believe that the renegade ant was a time and motion observer and was doing field work for his Doctorate, which by the way the other ants definitely needed after their gluttony.

Good Answers: 295

06/01/2022 5:24 AM

Although they tend to follow "rules" very obediently, ants are regarded as being very clever: they have huge brains compared to their body weight, and are one of the only creatures which allegedly pass the mirror test:-

https://www.animalcognition.org/2015/04/15/list-of-animals-that-have-passed-the-mirror-test/

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

06/01/2022 10:10 AM

I have used oatmeal with good success in the yard. I am told the ants carry it down the hole and eat it, but can't digest it.

06/05/2022 7:47 AM

I saw an ant-cooling rest stop tunnel crossing the road to a gravel pit.The road was hard packed clay and gravel....no trench underneath,just a long above ground arch with the ants passing under it in both directions.

It was extremely hot weather,and no shade to be found.

The ants were black,and the long treks to find food made them extremely hot.

The only purpose I could figure was to allow the ants to cool off before reaching a deadly temperature.

The tunnels were regularly spaced across the road,and the exact same length, till they reached the home nest,and stretched into the woods that bordered the gravel pit.

When the tunnels were disrupted by trucks,the tunnels were rebuilt quickly.

Go figure.?

Good Answers: 27

06/22/2022 7:04 PM

My wife bought "ant sand" and poured it down an ant hole. I spent the next 1/2 hour watching the ants bring the "ant sand" back up to the surface away from their nest. These ants then died, which is the purpose of the "ant sand". Then more ants bought up their eggs and proceeded to clean them. They then died. The eggs were placed under something to keep them shaded. When the ant sand had been bought up the eggs were returned to their hole. Many ants had died but the colony survived. Smart little buggers!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

HiTekRedNek (8); JIMRAT (1); phoenix911 (5); Randall (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (4); StandardsGuy (1); Stef (1); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: DeLorean 2.0   Next in Forum: What are these?

Advertisement