Previous in Forum: earth fault   Next in Forum: Capacitor
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 9

Aren't these grey pipes for use in wire conduits?

06/03/2022 1:11 PM

I am confused are these grey pipes gas line or may be a wire conduit but its making a T connection. This might be used as a waterline? What do you think is the "big no no" to this installation?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Grey pipes
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1725

Re: Aren't these grey pipes for use in wire conduits?

06/03/2022 1:45 PM

Those are polybutylene plumbing pipes...not good

..."Over the years, the preferred material that pipes are constructed with has changed significantly. During the 1980s, a new plumbing material known as "polybutylene" was introduced and took the market by storm.

Also known as Polybutylene or "Quest" piping, this type of plastic plumbing line was both inexpensive and easy to install in addition to extremely durable, making a popular choice for builders. It remained a common material all the way up through the mid-1990s. If your home was built during this period, there's a good chance you may still have some of this plumbing running through your walls.

If you own one of these homes, you should consider replacing your plumbing as soon as possible. While the evidence hasn't definitively proved the problem, it's widely believed that the inner walls of these plumbing lines became brittle and flaky because of oxidants in the water. Over time, the flaking resulted in weak points, which created micro-fractures, leaks, and the possibility for bursting under high pressure.

Today, many home insurance companies won't even cover homes that have these plumbing lines running in the walls, or at the least won't offer coverage for damage from water line bursting."....

https://www.martininsurance.com/why-you-should-replace-polybutylene-quest-piping/

https://therightman.ca/services/poly-b-removal-replacement

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #1

06/04/2022 12:38 AM

Neither of those articles are very compelling. I have 1995 polybutylene piping, and the one failure I’ve had is when a Sheetrock screw was put through one wall of the pipe in a wall near the kitchen sink. It went 20 years until the Sheetrock screw rusted away enough to begin weeping. Certainly not enough data cited to encourage me to rip out the walls and replace water pipe.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

06/04/2022 1:49 AM

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #4

06/04/2022 9:30 AM

Better information on Washington Post, actually mentioning both hard water and chlorine as statistical indicator and suspected embrittlement agent. Good work!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

06/05/2022 1:04 PM

....but wait, there's more....

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

06/03/2022 10:19 PM

Just wait until all those "Sharkbite" fittings start to leak. And leak they will. The O-rings will not last forever. But copper pipe can develop pin holes . . . some of my copper pipes in my home built in 1973 home are "weeping" in places. . . . and PEX fittings start to loosen as the polymer "flows". Seen it happen with some fittings near the water heater on my 2002 travel trailer (caravan for those across the pond). I used to think plumbing was "forever". I know better now. My preference is still for copper pipe. Strong and durable and reasonably easy to install and modify.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 249
In reply to #2

06/04/2022 4:36 AM

Copper pipe will erode if the water is acidic,and fixtures will tend to have a green deposit if dripping for very long.My domestic well water was around 6.2Ph and it took about 25 years for the leaks to start.I replaced it all with CPVC and never looked back.The copper I removed was thin and brittle and could be broken like chalk.

The water even caused a corrosion leak in my washing machine outer tub after about 20 years.

I am on public water now,and Ph is consistently near 7.0.

I use my wells for watering garden,etc.Azaleas and Blueberries love it.

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 57

06/04/2022 3:17 AM

Electrical conduit over this side is either grey or orange or red as used in fire systems, in rigid and convoluted as well as grey in flexible and it has the approval number,size and type printed at a multiple places along the length of the sections which here are 4m in length or 6m on special order for sizes above 25mm. The pipe in the photo is water pressure pipe as the connections would not pass approval here for electrical conduit. Oh no not the cheap plastic replica pipes still being used. My good friend had this type of pipe installed in his house when it was built many years ago and slowly but surely they have leaked. No problem I hear from the gallery except they were installed in the cavity brick walls. So he has had to resort to running copper pipe on the outside of the house and punching holes through the walls and making connections inside the house in the cupboards, vanity, bath enclosure. He does not get frost or freezing so no problem with the external pipes and anyway if the eventual wearing of the pipe is a concern just use a higher schedule pipe with a thicker wall. Have only had one copper pipe fracture in our house and that was because of poor plumbing installation not allowing for expansion of the pipe with the warming and cooling.

Good Answers: 10

06/05/2022 8:19 PM

I just got home from the lake, where I discovered that the polybutylene plumbing was leaking. I know what I'll be doing next weekend... Nothing lasts forever, but I'm going back with PEX. Perhaps we need to invent some sort of ceramic pipe!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

06/06/2022 2:53 AM

The fact that nothing does indeed last forever, suggests a strategy of using something cheap and easy to change out but still lasts a good long while...pvc or cpvc comes to mind, but I have no experience with PEX ...

https://www.h2ouse.org/pex-vs-pvc/

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

06/06/2022 7:20 AM

<...What...is the "big no no" to this installation?...>

The lack of labelling.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); HiTekRedNek (1); PWSlack (1); rwilliams (2); SolarEagle (4); Stef (1); steve45 (1)

Previous in Forum: earth fault   Next in Forum: Capacitor

Advertisement