Previous in Forum: Self powered transport   Next in Forum: Literal translations that don't work in the target language but get used anyway.
Close
Close
Close
29 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

Climate Change Indicators: Drought

08/20/2022 8:04 PM

My perceptions on climate change have changed in recent years, but misinformation and spin continues. The US Government has a chart showing part of the western US to be in a drought more severe than normal: (figure 3)

The same site shows that the average rainfall of the contiguous 48 states is greater than average, and nearly the most of recorded history: (figure 2)

So the problem seems to be the weather patterns have changed. What could be the reason(s)? The opinions probably vary as much as the colors of the rainbow. Some possible reasons:

1. The coal seam fires that have been going on for years that no one is attempting to put out.

2. The Ukraine invasion by Russia.

3. The continual deforestation in tropical regions.

4. The change in ocean currents from underwater volcanoes and toxic pollutants.

5. China's building of many coal-fired power plants.

I think the last one is huge. It is discussed in the following link. There is an active bar graph that shows how China's carbon emissions compared to the US and other countries have changed in recent years:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57483492

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940

Re: Climate Change Indicators: Drought

08/20/2022 9:03 PM

I don't know where you get your information but the North East of the USA is now in a drought condition.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

In reply to #1

08/21/2022 11:56 AM

As I said, The US Government. You could have verified it if you had clicked on the link. You want us to take the word of NBC over the US government?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

08/21/2022 2:04 PM

I did click the BBC link. Neither of those graphics exists there.

OH! Now I see the "same site" link. I liked it much better when CR4 underlined hyperlinks.

As I said in my other reply, your two graphs stop at 2020. It was wet here at that time. It certainly isn't wet this year. We are supposed to get some rain on Monday so Long Island may catch up to normal precipitation soon. Rhode Island and Boston have a long way to go to get out of drought conditions.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #14

08/22/2022 10:25 PM

You must feel like Lord Cardigan, against the Russian forces at the Battle of Balaclava.

Your perseverance is exemplary.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

08/22/2022 10:42 PM

At times I do but nobody is going to write an epic poem about it later. I also didn't get anywhere near as many awards as that incompetent aristocrat. I guess autocracies and cliques haven't changed in generations. Reward the incompetent to hide your own shortcomings.

08/20/2022 9:14 PM

You get reliable data from NOAA.

Now to be accurate these maps only show where drought exists and not where abnormal rainfall exists. The floods in Kentucky are not shown here, nor on your map.

Good Answers: 1751
In reply to #2

08/20/2022 10:11 PM

Gee it seems to be dry in the deserts....

...."The Mojave Desert stretches between Nevada, Arizona and California, covering 47,877 square kilometers. It receives under 2 inches of precipitation each year, which makes this desert the driest in North America. The highest temperature recorded here is 134 ° fahrenheit."...

In reply to #3

08/21/2022 1:18 AM
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #3

08/21/2022 5:21 AM

Well, that’s when people define science as consensus is stead of fact and then it’s pushed.

here’s an older interview by one of its pushers…

In reply to #2

08/23/2022 10:11 AM

From NOAA 1895-2022:

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/us-maps/

Below average hardly qualifies as a drought, however that spot looks worse on the following map:

In reply to #23

08/23/2022 1:09 PM

Yes, one month (July) of below-average rainfall does not make a drought. Many consecutive months of below-average rainfall make for a drought.

Am I missing your point here?

Good Answers: 1666
In reply to #24

08/24/2022 6:53 PM

I commend you on your trying to bring light into the dark recesses of CR4.

Your efforts are akin to Lord Cardigan's at the Battle of Balaclava.

He, too, put up a gallant fight against the hordes, but was overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Cheers

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #24

08/24/2022 7:31 PM

Depends on who you’re asking for a definition of a drought. One month of below average rainfall may or may not be defined as a drought?

Drought:

a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall, leading to a shortage of water.

for farmers that farm that depend on rain fall in an area that has a below average rainfall, that affects their crops, it’s a drought to them…

for others a drought will be defined when the prices sky rockets on the store shelves because food is in short supply due to a wide area drought, then and only then it’s a drought to them.

problem is, lately science have been base on consensus, and since farmers and ranchers only make up 1.3% of the population of the U.S. population and since an average farmer feeds 166 people annually in the U.S. and abroad. That’s 2.158 farmers against the 166 people he feeds annually which does not make a consensus.

As far the other commentator who came out of the shadows… with the statistics I set forth,… who is the real hero that put up a gallant fight against the hordes, but was overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

In reply to #26

08/27/2022 3:45 PM

Ya,,, there’s no drought at the supermarkets… yet.

Good Answers: 297

08/21/2022 6:13 AM

In reply to #6

08/21/2022 8:46 AM

So the presented attribute, SPEI, by the OP is already a "normalized" metric of multiple attributes. Therefore this attribute is very easy for laymen to misunderstand its meaning.

I still have reservations about the validity of the SPEI map for today. The SPEI determines drought conditions but that SPEI map does not reflect the drought in the Northeast. The SPEI time-based graph stops at 2020 while the drought map applies to 2022. This might explain the difference. Knowing where the SPEI charts originate could clarify this difference.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

08/21/2022 9:11 AM

It is always worthwhile taking a global perspective on this.

In reply to #8

08/21/2022 11:58 AM

And you want to give us one?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822
In reply to #10

08/21/2022 12:28 PM

Not if automatic robots are now being built by the <...us...> to fight wars with, as in earlier threads.

Invitation declined. The <...us...> can sort itself out.

<unsubscribes>

In reply to #11

08/21/2022 2:02 PM

It it hits the fan,… the U.S. will be here for you,… and again, like the last time,.. you will pay.

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 59
In reply to #13

08/22/2022 2:52 AM

And they will arrive late and tell the world how good they were but at least someone else was running it before them. But don't let them run one on their own, we know where that leads.

In reply to #15

08/22/2022 7:24 AM

You got it,… but at least we can hold back from total annihilation them… and your welcome.

Good Answers: 4

08/21/2022 1:03 PM

I believe that weather patterns are in constant change. The two major reasons are that this planet is heated at the center.....and the anti spin nature moving to the poles. If we were heated at the poles, we would have more or less constant climate bands. Right now, from previous rock records, we are in a warming trend. More heat, more evap, more water and heat going to the poles. More rain. But we have only experienced a very small change in temp, so far. Who can separate the normal rise from the CO2 rise? And much less sea rise than predicted. I would be leery of any climate narratives.

The next 10 years should expose what is true. For China and India has just cracked the largest CO2 value, that was ever opened. All will see what CO2 can do.....or don't do.

08/22/2022 2:58 AM

What is the difference between climate scientists and meteorologists, meteorologists only get it wrong on a daily basis, climate scientists get it wrong over longer periods.

On this side of the pond we are moving into another La Nina phase where we get more rain and the west of the Americas gets less. So far we have had nearly our yearly average rainfall but then we were in some form of drought since 2013. It happens on a regular basis, just accept it and get on with life and stop trying to compartmentalise everything.

In reply to #16

08/22/2022 7:28 AM

Not all, it’s when a group gets on board and agree with each other… and science becomes a consensus…

In reply to #18

08/23/2022 5:23 AM

Succinctly put. If a group totally agree then you only need one person and the rest are unnecessary clutter and any dissenting views are stifled by the clamour.

08/22/2022 8:31 PM

A lot of us, better be prepared to go on a unscheduled diet…

08/25/2022 11:31 PM

In reply to #27

08/26/2022 2:45 AM

They might be burning off soured gas....

https://worldwidescience.org/topicpages/s/sour+gas+wells.html

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Haymaker (1); lyn (1); phoenix911 (7); PWSlack (2); Randall (1); redfred (6); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (4); Stef (3)

Previous in Forum: Self powered transport   Next in Forum: Literal translations that don't work in the target language but get used anyway.

Advertisement