Previous in Forum: moving parts   Next in Forum: Reducing KVARH drawl from grid of Induction Generator
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Participant

High-Temperature Adhesive for Hotplate

02/15/2008 5:25 PM

I have a hotplate (0°C to 350°C) with a temperature sensor that needs to be re-attached to the plate that heats. The adhesive should be non-conducting, keeping the sensor's 2 electronic leads isolated from each other.

What adhesive would fit these requirements?

Thanks,
CR4_Infoseek

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: High-Temperature Adhesive for Hotplate

02/15/2008 5:44 PM
Guru
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #1

02/16/2008 8:36 PM

YOU MEANT THIS:

High-Temperature Ceramic Putty
This aluminum oxide-based ceramic putty adheres to all porous surfaces and can be used for thermal insulation on most materials. Withstands continuous temperatures up to

2300° F and resists molten metals and most chemicals. Can also be used for instant repairs to brick, mortar, burner blocks, insulation, furnace holders, and thermocouples. Begins to harden in 20 minutes; reaches full strength in 48 hours at room temperature (2-4 hours at 250° F). Color is off-white. The 11-oz. cartridge fits a standard caulk gun.

Size

Each

4-oz. Tube
7551A23

$13.02

11-oz. Cartridge
7551A2421.35
1-gal. Container
7551A26103.79
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #3

02/18/2008 1:12 PM

I noted the phrase can be used for thermal insulation . I would not use this between the thermocouple and the hot plate. There would be a temperature loss between the two which means the thermocouple would be inaccurate. Now if you could hold the thermocouple on the hotplate and cover it with this stuff, it would probably work.

Bill

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 143

02/15/2008 6:09 PM

Sauereisen cement will do it.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #2

02/16/2008 10:58 PM

Surely will.

So also will Fireclay putty

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #2

02/17/2008 1:58 PM

Used Sauereisen Cement for just that purpose 35 years ago.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

02/17/2008 7:24 AM

Any of the adhesives mentioned will do a fine job. You should drill a hole in the hot plate(if there isn't one already) at least 10 thermocouple diameters deep and pack the thermocouple in the hole (which is called a thermowell) with the adhesive. This will provide improved accuracy and will minimize tensile stress on the adhesive.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #5

02/17/2008 3:03 PM

If you just need a downhome solution,get some muffler assembly paste from your auto parts shop.It sets like a rock,sticks like **** to a blanket, and in thin layers doesnt bubble up. I use it to repair hotties from hair straighteners to IR heating elements.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

02/17/2008 4:12 PM

Try the one that is most often used in this type of application (and also one of the oldest adhesives around)--- Sodium Silicate. It is most commonly available as the liquid part of muffler patch, fireplace brick adhesive, fireplace crack patch, boiler rope insulation adhesive, etc. It is available in small pouches, 1-2 oz tubes, 14 oz cartridges, all the way up to tank wagons and tank cars.

Its usually applied with some clamping or other method of keeping the item to be glued in place until it sets. Low heat applied for several hours to solidify the adhesive and then high heat applied overnight to cure the adhesive.

Good luck,

old salt, a former adhesives plant manager

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); MUKULMAHANT (2); old salt (1); oldeng (1); ozzb (1); Sciesis2 (1); TVP45 (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: moving parts   Next in Forum: Reducing KVARH drawl from grid of Induction Generator

Advertisement